Do you frown upon tattoos?

by confusedandalone 81 Replies latest social physical

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

to each his own

• JeffT
    JeffT

I recall when so many men had long hair and facial hair

Here, it isn't a matter of recall. Long hair on men is common. For that matter so is short hair on women. If I want to see a guy with facial hair, all I have to do is walk to the bathroom. I've had the beard since 1988, and its never stopped me from getting a job.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

True story-There is an attractive Greek man in my town who owns a diner. He is handsome, older and a tab bit vain, so he makes sure to dye his hair and work out at the gym. He was impressed with all the tattoos on the young guys there and was leaning towards getting one...then he saw an old guy with a tattoo stretched out into a green blob and was horrified to think that if he got one, it would eventually turn into a blob as his skin got older. He started sporting fake tattoos with pride. He went to the gym with one of his fakes, and the arms rolled up on his shirt. Walking up to the guy who worked there, he said in his delightfully thick Greek accent, "How do you like my tattoo? It's fake." The attendant said, "We know, we talk about them all the time." When he told me that story we both laughed. Now he shows me his 'new' tattoos whenever I go to his restaurant.

• designs
    designs

My daughter has a lot of ink. Personally she was perfect just the way she came into this world.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" They repulse me. Also, they seriously limit job prospects. I don't see this popping up in board rooms. Decorating youself is all right."

I really cant agree with this. I worked at PriceWaterhouseCoppers as well as at Yahoo and in both p[laces I frequently saw tattoos on those in leaderships positions. THe only people who I never saw with them were usually older white guys in thier late 40's up. Women had them on thier hands and legs guys all over thier arms.

I think times are changing and the older group who had the hardcore christian values are dying off or thier op[inions are becoming less important

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't mind it on others. Those of you in law enforcement, it provides you a whole new way to catch criminals. I notice the local CrimeStoppers pics now depict the unique tattoos of the suspects. Kind of hard to hide that, LOL. Pull that hoody WAAY down dude, LOL.

My Russian friend says the ways the boys tattoo here in North America, would get them killed in his native country. The gang tattoos are taken VERY seriously there.

Me, I plan on being buried in the undecorated skin I was born in, just to be different.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Finkelstein - If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Early 50's

My previous comments stand.

Is drawing on yourself with grotesque images or unreadable wording really cool.

or just an expression of rebelliousness ?

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Finkelstein - I hope you don't think I was trying to take a shot at you or anything.

I am just saying that it appears that people of your age group tend to feel that way LOL.

I don't see people genetrally putting grotesque images or unreadable things on themselves that often. Of course, you have the fad of chinese letters etc... but most people will put their childs names on themselves or something like amemorable date or an object they feel represents something. I have never really seen a grotesque butterfly or anything LOL, but I guess it is in the eye of the beholder

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I try not to be judgmental about them. I've seen men and women of all walks of life with tattoos, in the past couple of decades.

They are not for me. I wouldn't say no to Anthony Kiedis, if he was single, should he ask me on a date.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, tattoos were for drunken serviceman, drunken men, convicts and wild women. That has changed of course. My daughter has them. When she told me she was getting her first one, I said, "If it makes you happy, then I will learn to embrace the tattoo."

The best one that I have seen was on a hispanic man. In between his hairline and the back edge of his ear, he had a crescent, faced moon with three tiny stars. It was tastefully done and it went well with his exotic, good looks.

I guess the permanence of tattoos is off putting to me. I know so many, including my daughter, who regret at least one of the tattoos they have. I see some poorly done, faded or tasteless tattoos and I have to admit, it is off putting. On the other hand, on someone who is exotic looking like Anthony Kiedis' with the black bird across his back, it can work.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

confusedandalone - I used to work at PWC also, just curious as to work for them in the NYC area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit