Carrie Underwood tweets, thanking God for successful Sound of Music performance

by adamah 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• smiddy
    smiddy

What is it about humans who thank an imaginary God when things go right for them and blame an imaginary Satan when things go against them ?

You are either good at what you do or you are not , no God , good or bad is responsible .

The majority of people who are guilty of this dont practice any religion anyway , so who or what are they thanking.!

smiddy

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I enjoyed the production. Loved Audra MacDonald ( she is perfection) and the whole cast. While Carrie Underwood's singing was wonderful her acting was flat.

But the op is not about the performance. It is about the thanks to God tweet.

Maybe Carrie should have thanked the outstanding direction and production team as they are the ones who got her through the 3 live hours of TV without a hitch.

Anyway...

As far as GaGa goes, a jazz album from the Lady should be GaGaGaGaGreat!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

High on the hill was a lonely goatherd

• designs
    designs

Audra McDonald singing set the story line correctly, much like the stage version and not the movie.

• adamah
    adamah

Rip said-

But the op is not about the performance. It is about the thanks to God tweet.

Well, it's kind of about both, i.e. you'd think if she pointed to God for blessing her and helping her to pull off the performance, she'd deliver the most-inspired performance EVER, both from the dramatic and acting standpoint, rather than thanking God for not flubbing it. Granted, it was a live telecast, but Saturday Light Live has produced a semi-live (at least for the East Coast) 90 min telecast for what, almost 40 years now?

And while she can sing, yes, that's hardly a rare talent; I can think of many singers and musicians who are not as well known as her, but who have more intrinsic talent in their little finger than Carrie (and that's not to take away from her accomplishments, just that many of these others are not trying to compete for the same niche she's in). I'm reminded of Indira Ghandi's words when someone on her staff was being fawning profusely with the "aw-shucks, it was nothing" attitude after receiving a compliment, where she said, "Don't be so humble; you're not THAT great!"

But yes, the gratuitous almost-obligatory "All Glory Be to God" message is a way to communicate to her fellow believers that she's one of them, a God-fearing Xian who's claiming that her PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY supposedly points to God's glory (and perhaps it was that the role called for her to wear a nun costume?).

It strikes me as trying to play up to her target audience, the Xian conservative right who are upset with the incessant Kardashian/Kanye hijinks, or reality TV with its hedonistic morality, and want a white blonde Xian to offer as a role model to their children. They have a desire for 'wholesome' God-fearing entertainment, just like the old "Wonderful World of Disney" TV show that aired on Sunday Night on NBC in the 1960's they remember from their childhoods.

Point being, there seems to be no in-between, no middle ground, and moving towards the direction of open displays of Xian faith (Tebow, Underwood, country/rap/gospel/pop musicians, etc) is seemingly now the norm. Jesus' words come to mind where he said not to pray in public, for these types are getting their reward in full by their showy display.

Adam

• designs
    designs

I liked when she spiked the football at the end

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I saw it on demand. Parts of it. I liked the countess or whatever.she.was.much better in this one. Otherwise, eh. The sets were great.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Oh Adam, Jesus take the wheel!! Lol

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"I never was a fan of The Sound of Music to the point that it made me cynically root for the Nazis"

LOL!

Yeah, I can relate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit