Carrie Underwood tweets, thanking God for successful Sound of Music performance

by adamah 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• tiki
    tiki

didn't see it but heard it was a bomb

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

If that's how she performs with God's help, God help her (more).

Underwood was simply embarassing. She wore an expression of mild confusion, relieved occasionally by pleased confusion. That was it. No spark, no energy, no inflection, no humor. Her singing was so-so. It was painful. As Joan Rivers tweeted, one of Underwood's favorite things should be someone who'd never seen Julie Andrews in the role.

The kids were really good, the Baroness was good, Max and the captain were okay, the nuns were splendid.

• adamah
    adamah

BTW, expect to see more live musicals on TV, since NBCs 'Sound of Music' scored a ratings home-run, giving NBC their most-watched entertainment prime-time programming in seven years:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-1209-live-television-20131207,0,5938350.story#axzz2mtzmPGoy

The pair serving as producers of the show are the same guys behind the recently-cancelled show "Smash" (about Broadway), so this was vindication for them; it makes sense, as it falls in line with the Fox's "Glee" success; SoM is like live televised community theater.

Oh, Carrie Underwood fires back at her critics (some of whom called her "Underwooden", referring to her flat acting performance), by dismissing them as "mean people who need Jesus":

"Plain and simple: Mean people need Jesus," Underwood tweeted Friday, a day after the live special. "They will be in my prayers tonight ... 1 Peter 2:1-25."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-carrie-underwood-sound-of-music-live-reaction-20131207,0,6691764.story#ixzz2mu0fATqN

Polarizing ego-driven comments like that likely just endear her to Xian fanbase, and make it seem like a judgmental Xian to the rest.

Adam

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

So that's what's wrong with the world? God is too busy promoting her career to pay attention to starving kids? Oh well, we all know god is an asshole.

• steve2
    steve2

Frankly, I'm not ready to thank "God" until he provides desperately needed help in ghettoes and other trouble spots around the globe. Famous people who thank God for their entertainment successes are an elite and embarrassingly self-focused group - and epitomise all I question about belief in a Creator who "cares".

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Maybe the starving kids need to put on a TV musical so god will finally listen to their prayers.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I watched it and felt Audra McDonald out sang Carrie Underwood. Still quite a gutsy thing to do live for all involved and I did enjoy it. Personally, I think a show targeted at families on a school night should definitely have started earlier. My teen was too tired to stay up for the whole thing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Frankly, I'm not ready to thank "God" until he provides desperately needed help in ghettoes and other trouble spots around the globe. Famous people who thank God for their entertainment successes are an elite and embarrassingly self-focused group - and epitomise all I question about belief in a Creator who "cares".

While I get your sentiment to a point, people can solve these ghetto problems very well on their own. Place the blame squarely where it goes, on the shoulders of people. People need to provide this help and prevent these problems from developing in the first place.

On another note, I wonder why people feel pressured to thank their gods to the public. I'm embarrassed for them.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: Did anyone see the American Dad episode where Stan sang "Climb Every Mountain"? It was superb.

• adamah
    adamah

FHN said-

On another note, I wonder why people feel pressured to thank their gods to the public.

Well, you and I both know the answer to that one:

Some Xians believe Jesus performed miraculous works and healings, and deflected all praise for performing these miraculous acts from himself by saying they actually point to the Glory of his Father; these Xian entertainers similarly feel compelled to point the praise away from themselves by claiming their non-miraculous works point to the glory of God and Jesus.

Xians really don't understand how this only makes them come off as egotistical and not humble, since they assume there is profuse praise being offered for their non-miraculous 'works'; in essence they're comparing their performance to the miracles of Jesus which requires a TON of hubris.

Audrey MacDonald's singing and acting was more impressive than Underwood's, but was no more 'miraculous' than Carrie's performance; it was inspired by tons of professionalism, practice, and stage experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit