Carrie Underwood tweets, thanking God for successful Sound of Music performance

by adamah 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I still don't get it. It reminds me of the scriptures about not praying on the street corners, so as to be noticed. I'm not questioning her sincerity, just wondering about the pressure.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Even if you are an evolutionist strictly speaking, it's still beyond miraculous to me that life even exists, much less in the form of an attractive woman who can carry a tune.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't understand why people are hating on Carrie Underwood. When a role was previously done by someone as well known and loved as Julie Andrews, well, those are pretty big shoes to fill. I am sure she did the best she could, she is primarily a singer, not an actress. I bet it was still better than the reality TV garbage that is out there, which is why it was a hit.

I think some people never like remakes so they wouldn't have liked it no matter how it turned out. My husband is like that, he never likes song covers or movie remakes, they just seem wrong to him. I appreciate a fresh take on something. Neither preference is better, just different, but if you are like that, don't watch remakes and expect to like it.

And then to complain about her expressing thanks to God is petty. She's a believer, get over it. Why is she not as entitled to express her beliefs as much as anyone else?

• James Brown
    James Brown

I don't know anytthing about Carrie Underwood or the sound of music.

But giving thanks and being grateful is a positive attribute to good mental health.

I think it would take her joy away if she were to analyze things down to that she was

just very fortunate regarding her genetic composition.

• adamah
    adamah

Lisa said- I think some people never like remakes so they wouldn't have liked it no matter how it turned out. My husband is like that, he never likes song covers or movie remakes, they just seem wrong to him.

Your husband seems confused, if he thinks it's simply a remake of the movie, made for TV: it's not. The teleplay was based on the stage version, which inspired the movie with Julie Andrews.

Lisa said- And then to complain about her expressing thanks to God is petty. She's a believer, get over it. Why is she not as entitled to express her beliefs as much as anyone else?

She's apparently as free to express her beliefs, as I am to express mine. I think she's fully-aware of the benefits of playing to her crowd/fan-base, which is exactly what she's doing with her tweets (as RVW said, she had a hit with "Jesus at the wheel" which was a foray into the Xian music thing).

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"And then to complain about her expressing thanks to God is petty. She's a believer, get over it. Why is she not as entitled to express her beliefs as much as anyone else?" Yes, she is. I'm also free to feel it's very awkward when any celebrity does this. I just don't understand it.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I've always thought it quite ridiculous when an actor, singer, athlete praised God for winning an award.

As far as Carrie expressing her 'Thanks to God' for her performance, I couldn't care less. What I do have a problem with is her condescending and equally insulting tweet to those who didn't like her performance. I think it says more about her than the critics she was attempting to shut up. IMO, sometimes it's best to say nothing in response.

"Plain and simple: Mean people need Jesus," Underwood tweeted Friday, a day after the live special. "They will be in my prayers tonight ... 1 Peter 2:1-25."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Carrie was okay in her role. She's sure very pretty.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Kind of ironic. I thanked god when it was finally over.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Adamah, don't be silly, my husband is not confused, he did not even see it. I was making the point that some people do not enjoy seeing something when they know and love the first version, as in a cover of a song, movie remakes, etc. The stage version may have come first, but many more people know and love the movie version, far more than ever saw the stage version. I was commenting that, for some people, that might be why they didn't like this version of The Sound Of Music.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit