Carrie Underwood tweets, thanking God for successful Sound of Music performance

by adamah 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Well, for those of you who missed the chance to see the live performance of " The Sound of Music", don't fret ( lol) , an encore performance is airing this Saturday!

• adamah
    adamah

Lisa Rose said-

I was commenting that, for some people, that might be why they didn't like this version of The Sound Of Music.

Sure? We all know some people are very conservative, and don't like ANY changes or tampering with whatever version they grew up with, since it doesn't have the power to trigger memories associated with the version they grew up with. Usually they are dogmatic, rejecting what they don't know out-of-hand, not being risk-takers who don't really care to change or expand their views.

I knew a girl in college who didn't like ANY condiments AT ALL (and yes, she was very conservative, a straight-laced Xian type). So anything that was even slightly spicy or vinegary was not to be eaten, since it deviated from what she grew up eating as a child. It limited her socially, since the group wanted to grab sushi and she couldn't eat anything. I can only imagine if her strict upbringing played a role in that attitude.

RVW said-

Well, for those of you who missed the chance to see the live performance of " The Sound of Music", don't fret ( lol) , an encore performance is airing this Saturday!

Do you think Carrie will use the replay as an excuse to thank God afterwards by twitter, with God obviously blessing the NBC technician who hit the 'play' button on the video machine?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The stage version may have come first, but many more people know and love the movie version, far more than ever saw the stage version. I was commenting that, for some people, that might be why they didn't like this version of The Sound Of Music.

Exactly, Lisa. We watched it last night and it was enjoyable for what it was.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the reaction was many people not being used to stage musicals.

Even when you are and you love a show it can take you a while to get used to a different performance - and it's hard to get a more stablished, memorable one that Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music!

We love Les Mis and have all the DVDs and have seen it live many times. When a new version comes out you compare it to the previous one that is what you know and it seems all wrong! Yes, the 25th Anniversary Edition isn't 'right' when you've been listening to the 10th Anniversary Edition. But then you get used to the new version and love it. Then they make a movie and it's WRONG again. But then you get used to it and love it and the next stage production you see doesn't seem quite right by comparison. It takes time and you need to just enjoy each performance as the unique performance it should be.

The thing with a stage performance is it's an interpretation of the thing you know and is bound to be different each time. If it was exactly the same then it would be an impersonation and that isn't the idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit