Phizzy Said this......And I am afraid I disagree

by KateWild 96 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

I still find it strange that believers cannot get it in to their heads that Atheism is not a belief, but Theism is. There cannot possibly be proof "for" the Atheistic position as it is simply a position that says I see no proof for a god.

If someone says there are pink unicorns with purple spots and I say I have never seen any proof of their existence, i cannot offer proof of my "position", the onus is 100% upon the spotted unicorn guy to prove their existence to me. Simple.

Where the frustration enters in for us non-unicornists is when the unicornists expect us to listen to inane arguments , non facts and plain nonsesnse and then go along with their delusion. Solid, testable, satisfactory evidence please, or those unicorns do not exist.

It is not worth debating doctrine with a believer, be they JW or some other flavour, that is a huge timewaster, and again frustration enters in because they simply will not look at the evidence, they will ignore what even their own handbook, the Bible, says and hang on to their belief by twisted exegesis or other methods.

Why are not believers simply honest and say "What I believe in is Delusion, but I choose to continue". I would respect that honesty, but a dis-honest approach to facts, I do not respect.

• KateWild
    KateWild

believers cannot get it in to their heads that Atheism is not a belief, but Theism is - phizzy

Is this all belivers?

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I should have said "many believers" Sam, as the old saying goes "He who generalise , generally lies " !

So, put the word "many" in as the seventh word of my post, and do you then agree with the rest of it ?

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Flippin unicornbashers at the door again...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You do realise Captain that your reaction to my presentation about the Unicorns will decide whether or not you get eternal life on a Unicorn infested island ?

(P.S I shall be off line for a few hours, so play amongst yourselves, but nicely !)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

QUOTE: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence was a phrase made popular by Carl Sagan. It is the heart of the scientific method, and a model for critical thinking, rational thought and skepticism everywhere.

The evidence put forth by proponents of such things as gods, ghoasts, the paranormal, and UFO's highly questionable at best and offers little in the way of proof. Even if we accepted what evidence there is as valid (and it is highly debatable if we should), limited and weak evidence is not enough to overcome the extraordinary nature of these claims.

• KateWild
    KateWild

LOL! Thanks phizzy for your humilty, it's a pretty dead thread now

Nevermind love Sam xx

• tornapart
    tornapart

I don't agree with this bit:-

" Why are not believers simply honest and say "What I believe in is Delusion, but I choose to continue". I would respect that honesty, but a dis-honest approach to facts, I do not respect."

Why should I, as a believer, say I believe in a 'Delusion', when I don't believe I am deluded? I base my belief on what I see as evidence.

I see a complicated DNA code. Each genetic code is written within every living cell, is duplicated and mulitplied in exact copies, bilions of times. Every living organism is produced from that code. It tells me that an intelligent designer is behind it (regardless of whether the continuing process is by evolution or not). A computer binary programme did not come about without intelligent design so how can I believe that the genetic code did? The tiny cell of every single living thing is like a microscopic factory, continuing to produce replicas of itself. When an embryo is formed at a certain stage, all the different cells separate into the different parts of the body. With all these processes all I can see is an intelligent designer.

If I see a tree with 'Mark loves Stacy' written within a heart shape with an arrow through it, I know without a doubt that someone put it there. It has order and intelligence behind it.

I refuse to say I am deluded simply because what I see as evidence is not evidence to someone else.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can see phizzy's point, tornapart, may be I am not being delusional as Dawkin's puts it, oooppsss! I mean phizzy. But faith plays a part where facts are not evident.

It is the same to say "I believe in God, this is based on many scientific facts as well as a measure of faith, and I choose to have faith there is a God"

Dawkin's puts word's like delusion into peoples minds instead of using the word faith that's my view. Love Kate xx

• tornapart
    tornapart

Delusion is not at all like faith.

Merriam Webster: delusion- a false idea or belief that is caused by mental illness

full definition: a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary;

Calling someone 'deluded' is not the same as calling someone a 'person of faith'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit