How Jehovah's Witnesses benefit those humble enough to study the Bible with them.

by Stand for Pure Worship 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Watkins
    Watkins

To what "truth" did Phillip bring the Ethiopian "up to speed"?

How long did Phillip "conduct a study" with the Ethiopian before he was baptized?

To what congregation of like-believers did the Ethiopian go after his conversion?

No, this is not a good example of what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing today. They are not witnesses of Jesus, as Phillip was, nor do they teach what he did - Acts 8: 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

W~

• jgnat
    jgnat

It seems to me the innate danger of depending on a commentary is becoming victim to the bias and error of the author. I'm providing your quoted scriptures in full, sometimes in context for clarity. All are KJV, because it is handy.

Acts 17:11 - The Bereans, known for searching the scriptures to check the validity of Paul and Silas' message.

Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Mat 18:19 KJV.
    I see you have incomplete understanding - still - of worship. touching - G1093 - concerning anything of importance. This could be fulfilled between husband and wife during a study night.

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25 KJV

And a counter scripture, as there often is,
    Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

"very few people can maintain integrity without the support of those that share the same beliefs as do they"
    Supporting scriptures, please? Paul's own conversion was a very individual affair and it took considerable effort to convince the disciples that it was genuine.
    I would suggest rather that it is easier to maintain a constant set of beliefs when surrounded by those who are the same. Maybe too easy.

Personally, my beliefs are stronger for being tested against those whose hold different beliefs than mine.

Integrity is the wrong word. Integrity implies inner strength that cannot be broken.

Agreed, spending time with other Jehovah's Witnesses is a motivator to stick to the expected behavior. I prefer the advantages described in the bible, where companions can support each other. That is, it is the stronger's obligation to lift the weaker.

The Bereans accepted Paul and Silas' teachings after what they were saying bore out in the scriptures. Also, let's not forget "with signs following", evidence of heavenly blessing that followed Moses, Jesus, Peter, and also Paul.

You realize that all churches have members who were formerly of another belief? You are a victim of confirmation bias. There are also people like me who studied the Watchtower literature, compared it against the bible, and rejected them as false.

Huh, Philip knew his gospel better than you. And it didn't take six months to convey.

Matthew 11:6 - poor choice.
    Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples, And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another? Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me. Matthew 11:2-6 KJV

You are Jehovah's Witness, not Christ's. Your religious leaders have declared the age of miracles dead, yet insist they have the superior truth. Offensiveness is not proof of God's blessing. In context, you can see that Jesus provided evidence that he was the one. If offensiveness is the mark of truth, you will have to add radio shock-jocks to the list. They are better at it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The things you write are so hilarious that I sometimes think you are an exJW pretending to be a JW, just to make the religion look bad. Your cut-and-pastes and broad, inaccurate statements are filled with rhetorical fallacies. If you are really a Watchtower follower, you would do your religion a favour by not participating on discussion boards.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

This is not an insult, just a mere ovservation. From reading the tone of SFPW's various posts, SFPW is a woman in her early twenties with much to prove about herself. I hope that life experience over time will humble her.

I do have similar observations, though she could be in her late twenties or very early 30's---still the "idealist" type of JW.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am humble and I know it SFPW

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Others have suggested this is Miz (he had many aliases and has been kicked a few times) and was an ex JW elder if I remember right. I dont claim he is Miz, but I have seen others do it.... my point being here is this:

I will be very pissed off if it is him. I have seen people pretending to be JWs here before in some round about way to show how stupid JWs are or else just for shits and giggles.. I dont find that funny, I dont think it is productive, in fact it is counter productive.

Being an ex JW is about trust and credibility if IF your intention is to help others wake up and leave. Sensationalism (Rick Fearon) doesnt work, half truths and lies dont work, pretending to be a zealous JW in good standing to troll the forums doesnt work in the long run as trust is broken. By doing this you are lying to searching and lurking REAL JWs and allowing the WTS the victory of telling them apostates are liars.

Rant over.

• nugget
    nugget

I am sorry to inform you that the reasoning booh is now old light with many out of date doctrines. I do not think it is prudent to direct anyone to this publication since so much is now apostate thinking.

This in itself is a valuable insight into the organisation since there is no guarantee that what you are led to believe today is in fact correct or will stand the test of time.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Funny Nugget.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think that it's a lot to do with conscience. I found that for me to be associated with Jehovah's Witnesses I felt I was showing my support for their views regarding 1914 and it's significance. One person suggested that I could maybe not mention 1914 sort of forget about it. I couldn't. It was from my understanding very significant to our preaching work. If I was not joining in the preaching I had to explain my reasons which I did and eventually it became better for me not to attend. Although that came at a cost of some friendships that we had in the congregation.

Sometimes we discuss whether or not we could attend again for the reason of associating with people we knew and were friendly with and have a bible viewpoint we were familiar with.

This we tried for a while some years ago and it resulted in discussions with some elders regarding different teachings and viewpoints.

The thing is that I would feel at this point a hypocrite to identify myself again as a Witness and this would go against my conscience. My wife and I along with my children regularly discuss christianity. I have some very close relatives that are very well read in theology and even if this were not the case there are plenty of books available for research along with the internet. I pray regularly and read the bible.

Of course I could be wrong with some things that I think and maybe your right that associating with like minded individuals can help to maintain one's integrity. I don't think it's a case of not being humble or presumptuousness, but rather it's a case I think of keeping a clean conscience by not being a hypocrite and this is keeping my integrity.

• tornapart
    tornapart

John 14: 16,17, 26 "and I will request the Father and he will give you another helper to be with you forever, the spirit of the truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither beholds it nor knows it. You know it because it remains with you and is in you.......But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds al the things I told you."

1 John 2:27 "And as for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but, as the anointing from him is teaching you about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught you, remain in union with him."

Are you calling Jesus a liar?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit