Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?

by BU2B 288 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I have never met anybody who thought the non-existence of an invisible god could be PROVEN one way or the other.

Therefore the word agnostic is just a truism that tells us nothing.

we can't even know for sure if there's a very tiny teapot orbiting our planet.

There is, its called Punjana. I know its true. She speaks to me and tells me to make more tea. You can ask Punjana yourself if you just have ears to HEAR and eyes to SEE

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

my lord told me he'd be an agnostic if he wasn't already an atheist.

• cofty
  • trebor
    trebor

The word has lost its meaning.

People who haven't done the necessary work to investigate the evidence use it as an excuse.

I'll respectfully disagree. I've done plenty of research and investigating, and I find that word to be a very accurate way to depict someone's position on the matter.

Someone could very well state that a person who claims agnostic has lost its meaning and that it is an excuse for people who haven't done the necessary work to investigate the evidence has a cognitive distortion known as polarized thinking.

• cofty
    cofty

Someone very well could.

The word agnostic is just a truism that tells us nothing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I've noticed too that there has been a lot of recent bantering on the god question, which in all practicality is

still beneficial for some to learn and intellectual grow from.

Coming from being a stout JWs directly to atheism is a big conscientious leap for many to try to perceive and embrace.

Seems like I was in that position myself at one time.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i'm was glad there were some atheists around when i first started to put the puzzles together. otherwise i might have ended up a born again christian or some other JW-like cult, since that's what i was used to. it took me a while, well over a year to label myself an atheist. in the meantime i was fine calling myself an agnostic.

• cofty
    cofty

It just seems odd having a label that to most people just means "I haven't decided".

It has lost its original meaning...

Thomas Henry Huxley invented the word agnostic in the Spring of 1869...[he] wrote in "Agnosticism" published in The Nineteenth Century in February 1889 that he invented it as a label for himself at the Metaphysical Society, although he didn't say when. He also said, "It [agnostic] came into my head as suggestively antithetic to the 'gnostic' of Church history, who professed to know so much about the very things of which I was ignorant...."

• trebor
    trebor

The word agnostic is just a truism that tells us nothing.

It tells the opinion, belief, thought of a person respecting god/gods/higher being(s) or entity/entities. How much research, investigation, and study went into that position, is a different matter.

• cofty
    cofty

It tells the opinion, belief, thought of a person respecting god/gods/higher being(s) or entity/entities

It is another way of saying "I don't know".

No label required.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit