What kind of music do you listen to?

by Leander 58 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, CCR, Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Dick Dale, The Mermen, BB King, Muddy Watters, the Ruttles, AC/DC (w/Bon Scott).....

• Sargon
    Sargon

Doesn't any listen to Lawrence Welk or Zamfir anymore?

Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Albert Einstein

• musicnonstop
    musicnonstop

LOL @ Matty

My tastes are about as diverse as you could get - everything from classical to punk, depending on my mood - don't know what that says about my psychological makeup, LOL...

All-time favourite bands: Kraftwerk (from whence my handle - taken from their 1986 'Electric Cafe' album), Devo, Stranglers, Cocteau Twins... currently getting into ambient at the moment, courtesy of an old college acquaintance who very kindly burns CDs for me

Just one of the wonderful cultural freedoms to be savoured away from the BOrg - rock on....!

"They never told me what was the truth - just a young man losing his youth..."
    - 'Bear Cage', The Stranglers

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Out of character but.. HUGE Metallica Fan, Godsmack, OLD Black Sabbath, Old AC/DC, Rage is also great...

It doesn't fit with the rest, but I like No Doubt as well

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    My tastes are about as diverse as you could get - everything from classical to punk, depending on my mood - don't know what that says about my psychological makeup, LOL...

Haha! Me too. Love almost anything! I love jazz - all kinds - everything from Miles Davis to Ste. Germaine.

Blues/Jazz: Stanley Turrentine, BB King, Candy Dulfer
    Rock: Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin
    Dance/Electronica: Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfeld, Chemical Brothers

Neil's even got me liking rap lately - something I never thought would happen. Don't know much about it, but so far I like Jurassic 5 and Outkast.

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

I can listen to most anything...

The "Texas" music is what I'm into right now...like Seeker,I'm doin' my best to wear out Pat Green.Along the same lines-Robert Earl Keen,Great Divide,Cross Canadian Ragweed,et al...Though they're out of Canada,kind of similiar stuff from the Cowboy Junkies(lots of Townes VanZandt).If you're interested in this kind of stuff,try;
    http://www.lonestarmusic.com

For rock,I'm on a huge Matchbox20 kick these days(Rob Thomas is one heck of a songwriter).I'm never without some Stevie Ray Vaughn,Jimmy Buffett,Eagles and my good old southern stuff-Skynyrd,ZZ Top,etc...

Of course I grew up on Waylon,Willie,Hank Jr.David Alan Coe & Merle Haggard,and I still love it.Some newer country,too;George Strait,Chris LeDoux,Scott Meeks(cowboys) and Dwight Yoakam and Travis Tritt(outlaws).

I could go on and on,but that's most of my favorites(today anyway).

Nuff Said,
    Cowboy

The road goes on forever,and the party never ends ~ Robert Earl Keen

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Mike Musto! A fellow PSB fan??!?! They are quite hard to find these days! I was ALWAYS getting told off for listening to their music. And the huge poster on my bedroom wall didn't go down too well either. lol.

We all make a mess of our lives from time to time
    It's part of the process that you stumble as you climb

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I like everything as long as its good so that covers everything EXCEPT RAP! Ok well to be fair I think I've heard 4 Rap songs in the past 15 years that were ok. But then again they probably weren't Rap, just really repetitive.

LILACS you are crakin' me up again! LOL I can tell your my age give or take. ACID ROCK! I haven't heard that term since the last time I said it. hahahahah.

http://my.cybersoup.com/wierdchit

• LDH
  • Xander
    Xander

My taste tends to follow much of the trend here - big Metallica fan (c'mon, how can anyone NOT like 'No Leaf Clover'??)

Some country ain't bad. Big fan of Allison Kraus and Emmylou Harris - mostly I like a lot of the folkier sounding country than the twangy 'pop-country'.

In fact, thanks in no small part to 'Songcatcher', we've been picking up a ton of folk/bluegrass music CDs lately, and been very impressed with what we hear (wife was a folk fan from way back - Nanci Griffith, John Prine, etc.).

Of course, Nine Inch Nails is very cool...people getting hung up on lyrics that challenge their preconceptions makes me laugh.

Ok well to be fair I think I've heard 4 Rap songs in the past

Try 'Ganstas Paradise' by Coolio. Older, to be sure (was on the soundtrack to 'Dangerous Minds'), but I don't think I've heard of anyone who didn't like it.

Elwood did a rap remake of 'Sundown', which I like a lot better than the original - many seem to think it's okay.

Eminem's 'Stan' is very good. Essex Court ft Quiz 'Standin Ground' is also pretty good cross-genre stuff.

Most rap doesn't appeal to mainstream listeners, but there is a LOT of rap that does - mostly the stuff that actually tries to be music instead of offensive - better lyrics, better vocals, better instrumentals, better resampling, etc. Again, see 'Gangstas Paradise' above.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit