What kind of music do you listen to?

by Leander 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm a music junkie, I like pretty much all types of music. But in particular I would have to say jazz is my favorite, but not the watered down Kenny G style of jazz. I prefer the straight ahead, hard bop type of jazz.

Lately I've been really getting into psychedelia rock. I've always liked Jimi Hendrix but for some reason his music is speaking volumes to me recently. I'm currently trying to find some more rock that kinda resembles the music Jimi was doing.

So what do you listen to?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Hmmm such a rough question. I listen to all the no no bands. Bands that are 'illegal' @ Bethel.

I love and would die for:
    Erasure
    Pet Shop Boys
    Bronski Beat
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood

and when im feeling extra decadent
    TOol- track one on Aenima- "Stinkfist" is to die for

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I'm pretty tolerant of everything except Country music.
    I listen to...

Classical- love Brahms
    New Age- Enya, Loreena McKinnit, etc.
    Rap- Tupac, Snoop Dogg
    80's- New Bohemians, REM, Queensryche, Dead milk men
    90's- Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam

and today I most listen to
    Tool, System of the Down, Nickelback
    and I'm a huge Alanis Morisette junky.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I listen to a wide variety, but mostly rock and alternative. I love alanis, lenny kravitz, jonny lang, tori amos, nickelback, godsmack, etc.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Love jazz, especially the bebop you mentioned, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Bird, etc. A new young guitarist named Burr Johnson who is just about to explode on the scene. He's a friend. Plays jazz/fusion, is on the new Lauryn Hill CD, and will be at Montreaux Jazz Festival this summer. You can catch his stuff on-line, at his site. Do a search.

I do a lot of writing about music, singer/songwriters especially. People that have a live following but seldom get played except on folk stations or shows (which are rare themselves). So I listen to tons of independent label music no one has heard of: Fred Eaglesmith, Peter Mulvey, Greg Brown, Eric Taylor, Don Conoscenti, Kate McDonnell, Denise Franke, Derek Jordan, Jimmy Gordon, Jon Dee Graham, Mark Erelli. You can catch these folks at times on Austin City Limits, and most have websites. The cool thing is that I've gotten to know nearly all these performers and more through their live shows. Some better known folks in this genre like David Gray, Peter Yorn, JJ Cale, Sarah McLaughlin, Lisa Loeb.

I also love country - Pat Green is getting worn out in my CD player lately. Wynona. Keith Urban. Rascal Flatts. Mavericks. Blackhawk.

Classical - YoYo Ma, his tango CD w/ Astrid Piazzola. Haydn, Bach, Mozart. Stravinski.

Rock - Hendrix of course, SRVaughn, Jonny Lang, all the great guitarists. Sting, Barenaked Ladies, Beck, Tool, Metallica, Mellencamp's newer stuff, Jimmy Buffet, Smashmouth, Springsteen, Rusted Root, Santana, Dave Matthews, Live, Garbage, No Doubt, U2, Train, lots of the alternative stuff.

Then there is world music, hip hop, rap, opera, easy listening, punk.

Fortunately I work at home and can listen for hours a day. And because of my writing I get press kits with free CDs several times a week.
    Love it!
    S4

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have little one, so we listen to the famous Barney, Sesame Street and lots of "fun" music for kids.

Actually, she likes the stereo I bought for her room and we dance around a lot to top 40 stuff and country music, anything that seems fun and makes her smile.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I'm like you in that i listen to many types.

It really depends on my mood.

R&B - especially Sade
    Pop/Dance
    New Age - especially Enya
    Classic Rock
    Celtic
    Classical Anything (well...except Kingdom Melodies hehe)
    Swing

Don't mind some soft rock, some country.
    Don't much like metal/hard rock.

There are a few artists i enjoy but i don't know how to classify them. Susan Aglukark, India Arie...and some others with lotsa drums and vocals.

SPAZ

• TR
    TR

I like most of what gsx likes. Mostly, though I listen to Sabbath, Godsmack, Jeff Beck, Rorschach Test, Pink Floyd, ELP, Satriani. Too many to list.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• Matty
    Matty

Shock! Why hasn't anyone mentioned Kingdom Melodies, Hank Marvin, George Benson and Prince (only his new stuff, none of that sexy mother fu*ker nonsense).

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I like to listen to a little bit of everything, except acid rock and rap.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit