this site sucks

by Hortensia 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

The writers have a few years -- however long Capaldi stays -- before they have to really face that issue. They'll work around it somehow -- like they did all the other times when the Dr. had to "die" for some reason.

OK, so you all who get to go to the event, I want to see photos, hear stories!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Nancy Drew -- I felt like a space alien for a couple of years after I left the wtbts and tried to figure out life on earth. I knew nothing about ordinary life, made lots of errors because of limited knowledge. Fortunately, nothing too bad, and didn't run into any Daleks (the most boring of the Who-world enemies) or Whisper Men.

• Violia
    Violia

I believe this is the 50th anniversary of JFK assassination, I think Friday the 22 (1963). For those of us in the Dallas area, it is especially grim memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_John_F._Kennedy

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yes, Nov. 23 I think. It's amazing that 50 years have passed since then -- one of those events where we all remember where we were. So shocking, esp. since I was a JW and thought it meant the world was coming to an end. We were all pretty het up in those days about Armageddon. Now I'm an old lady, and armageddon never did come.

There's no one left in that family except Caroline Schlossberg and her children. Mother, father, brother all dead.

This is a fluff thread, not meant to be so serious.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I heard of Dr. Who word of mouth. When it became available on cable, I enjoyed it. Here is my problem. I believe I could be a hard core Dr. Who fan. Because I leaped in at a late date, I can't figure out what is going on. Is there a way to catch up? When the actors changed, Oh, did I get lost. It just seemed like so much fun.

I want to join the discussions about which actor was the best one. Does anyone here have any advice? Is it on Netflix? BBC_A?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's on netflix. Start with season 1 of the new version -- Christopher Eccleston played Dr. Who. He was quite good, BTW. Then just watch all of them in order. The confusing thing can be the Christmas specials. Netflix has them in order now, but sometimes they change things and then it just gets lost.

Then, the last two seasons are available inexpensively on amazon.com for streaming.

• TD
    TD

BOTR,

Tensia's advice above is practical. There's a little, tiny bit of back story about the Doctor in S1E1.

I thought Eccleston was the best Doctor by far and was a little disappointed that he only did one season. My wife always went weak in the knees for Tom Baker, but he struck me as a goofball.

From my perspective, a much more interesting friendly discussion would be over who the best companion was.

• cantleave
    cantleave

BOTR John Pertwee is my fave doctor. Try catching "The Green Death" from 1973, this has a great story with a strong socio-environmental message.

*edit and it scared the wits out of me (as a 6 or 7 year old kid).

• Simon
    Simon

Ha, I remember hiding behind cushions watching The Green Death. Tom Baker was my favourite Dr though until the new seasons started.

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

What's all this about Clara and Amy?

It's SARAH JANE for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit