Well, I asked a question and his answer blew me away

by Lost his mind 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@rebelfighter: Your ex-BF JW Elder was a totally deceitful hypocrite. Here he is an Elder, and secretly dating a "Worldly" woman? He could have been disfellowshipped (excommunicated) by the other Elders just for that!!!

Trust me, that arrogant dufos did you a FAVOR!! I can't believe in 5 years time he didn't take you to meetings, introduce you around, etc. Just used you for sex and THEN questioned whether or not you'd make a good convert and submissive wife. Guess what? You didn't pass his little litmus test, so you were out on your azz!!!

You dodged a bullet, trust me! Welcome!

• Ding
    Ding
    Remember that to a JW not questioning anything the GB says is considered a tremendous virtue.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome - LostHisMind & RebelFighter.

You're both very fortunate not to have walked into the Org's quicksand!

• flipper
    flipper
    LOST HIS MIND- Welcome to the board ! May I ask : What is it about your husbands relationship with his sister that makes him feel that she has all the answers to life or that he cannot even question her or her husband ? Do they both have some kind of mesmerizing control over him and they use the JW's to exercise that control ? What's the background of your husband's relationship with his sister ? Just needing a little more info. Thanks, I'm sorry you are in such a challenging position
  • Lost his mind
    Lost his mind

Steve2, thank you for making me laugh. It was either that or cry! And thank the rest of you for all of your responses.

For the last 2 years I have been printing old and new magazines showing him they stupidity of these people. It hasn't made a difference. I told him when I started showing him all of the stuff I had compiled that is was my fault that I let I get this far and that I thought he was more intelligent than that. Probably not the best way to put it! I had studied with these people on 3 different occasions just to see what it was all about. That was enough for me to know that they were nuts and I thought he would be able to come to that realization as well. Wrong!

I have told him that if he gets baptized I will leave. I have a hard enough time dealing with him now, I have no idea what it would be like in full blown cult mode.

i have managed to keep him away from meetings for 2 years but he still reads their crap daily. They will not come to the house anymore because I ask to me questions and told them they were liars the last time they were here. I asked them who their mediator was and they said Jesus and I said they were either lying or not reading their own literature. The elder called me a hateful woman and said he would not be back. I said that would be glorious. Unfortunately, my nephew was with the elder, and the hubby backs up the hateful woman comment.

so, that is a little more detail of my life with culties!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome!

Jehovah Witnesses believe the Watchtower is the sole channel of communication between God and mankind. They have been systematically conditioned, through hours of indoctrination each week, not to question anything. Actually, they must accept every teaching of the Watchtower or be disfellowshipped and shunned. They have been taught to fear former members, whom they call apostates. They have been told we are bitter, angry people who want to destroy the faith of the all JWs.

This is so deeply ingrained that JWs become fearful when exposed to anything critical of the Watchtower. If what they taught was really "the truth" it would hold up to scrutiny, but the logic of this escapes them because of the indoctrination. Most JWs know very little about their beliefs or the history of the organization. They are told the destruction of this system is happening soon and the only way to survive is to become a Jehovah's Witness. They don't know the religion has incorrectly predicted the end many, many times over the last hundred years, and then turns around and pretended it never happened. These dire predictions keep people fearful and compliant.

If you want to help your boyfriend, you need to research cults and how they work. It's very difficult to get an indoctrinated cult member to think and see what has been done to them, but it can be done in some cases. Nobody in a cult thinks they are actually in one, so you have to approach it very, very carefully. Many people recommend Steve Hassan's book, Combating Cult Mind Control. For a short description of cults I like howcultswork.com.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses Cult Meme's and Humor

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Excult/

• steve2
    steve2

Hey Lost His Mind (ranch wife). You've got a great sense of humor and at same time, you don't stand any nonsense - especially from religious zombies who repeat stock phrases over and over without regard for questions or contexts. All clear-thinking power to you!

Rebelfighter - the Witnesses have met their match with you. Your knowledge of child development would hsve them heading for the hills. Little wonder they've stopped replying. You know more than they do and you have had the audacity to question their simplistic, rote answers. Knowledge is power!

• Lost his mind
    Lost his mind
    Mr. Flipper, my husband was basically raised by his sister and brother in law. The brother in law is the one that converted the sister to witness land. Hubby's parents were not very parent like. The sun and moon rise and fall upon these people. They literally can do no wrong even when I can show proof of it.
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

Lost his mind . . .

As an active Witness for over thirty years, and one who continues to be happily active, I have never once discouraged anyone from asking questions, nor have I criticized anyone for having doubts, no matter if they are doubts about Scripture, teachings, the Watchtower Society, etc. Questions are good. Doubts are healthy. When one asks questions stemming from doubt, it's evidence that they are loving God "with their whole mind" rather than with a suspended intellect. (see Mark 12:30)

Now, as far as your husband is concerned, I obviously don't know the entire story, and for that matter it's none of my business. From the very little you've written about the situation and the manner in which you write about your husband, my impression is that there has already been some friction existing in the marriage for some time (though this is not to infer you have a bad marriage by any means) and that perhaps the differences you and your husband have about Jehovah's Witnesses are a symptom of that friction rather than the cause. Again, all I can go by is the little you've written.

But in all honesty I did notice something curious in some of the things you've stated.

By your account, Jehovah's Witnesses are a controlling entity, a cult, a manipulative organization that threatens expelling any brother or sister who doesn't "toe the line" of Watchtower doctrine or doesn't bow mindlessly to the Governing Body's will.

Yet I noticed the following in what you wrote:

I have told him that if he gets baptized I will leave. I have a hard enough time dealing with him now, I have no idea what it would be like in full blown cult mode. They will not come to the house anymore because I ask to me questions and told them they were liars the last time they were here. I asked them who their mediator was and they said Jesus and I said they were either lying or not reading their own literature. The elder called me a hateful woman and said he would not be back. I said that would be glorious. Unfortunately, my nephew was with the elder, and the hubby backs up the hateful woman comment.

I have managed to keep him away from meetings for 2 years but he still reads their crap daily.

Threatening to leave your husband if he gets baptized sounds very controlling. Is this not the same kind of controlling behavior that you accuse the Watchtower Society of engaging in? Cutting ties if a member engages in activities that don't sit well with Watchtower preference?

Even though you directly asked two Witnesses about their belief, and even though they directly answered you that Jesus is our mediator (which is, in fact, true; Jesus is our mediator; 1 Timothy 2:5, 6), you nonetheless called them liars. Is that not what people accuse the Watchtower Society of doing, calling people liars?

You were called hateful by an elder who also happens to be your nephew (which, again, suggests family-related friction over and above any doctrinal or theological disagreements), and then expressed that your "hubby" agreed with your nephew. By doing this you're negatively categorizing your husband and your nephew based on the fact that they oppose your position and manner. Is this not what people accuse the Watchtower Society of doing, negatively categorizing people who oppose its position?

Finally you mention that you've "managed to keep your husband away" from meetings for two years, but that he continues to read Watchtower literature. This sounds, again, very controlling. Matched with your threat of divorce, it comes off as extremely manipulative. Isn't manipulation exactly what people accuse the Watchtower Society of engaging in?

Control. Negative categorizing. Manipulation. Threats of cutting ties.

Whether done by an organization or by an individual, it's all the same.

Again, none of us knows the entire story of you and your husband's issues (and clearly we don't have your husband's side of the story), and it's none of our business. But based only on the little you've chosen to reveal thus far, perhaps you may wish to consider the possibility that your husband (with his pro-JW stance) isn't the only source of the problems you're experiencing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit