Well, I asked a question and his answer blew me away

by Lost his mind 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost his mind
    Lost his mind
    First time, been lurking for years, but I asked my husband who has been studying for 20 plus years if he has ever questioned those that were "teaching" him. He said no! Blew my mind. I ask him all the questions that you have asked yourself, but he will not ask them. I was born and raised not in a religion, neither was he. But, his sister married a witness follower and was baptized and raised their children in the "truth". What bullcrap. I live on the family ranch with these heathens and about to lose my mind. Never questioned?!?!!?!? And he will not question because the sun and moon rises on said sister and brother in law. I have been married for 26 years and would like to .......I have no idea. They piss me off. I should have left a long time ago. Sorry for my first time rant.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Welcome and yes its very amazing how people will just follow along never questioning a thing especially if the teaching or instructions come from an authority figure.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Welcome LHM

Welcome and yes its very amazing how people will just follow along never questioning a thing

JUMP!!

Image result for jump of cliff pic

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Welcome Lost his mind.

I take it that your husband is not baptized. If not then I wonder what's been keeping him from getting baptized for those 20 years.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Tell your husband that he is not following what the bible teaches to do nor is he following what the very ones that he is studying with teach to do, then have him read the following…

[10-1-14 WT- “Do you have a particular Bible subject that you have wondered about? Are you curious about any of the beliefs or religious practices of Jehovah’s Witnesses? If so, do not hesitate to ask one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. He or she will be pleased to discuss such matters with you.”]

[11-1-11 Awake- A fundamental requirement for faith is “an accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:4) Only “the truth,” says the Bible, “will set you free,” free from misleading beliefs, whether they are scientific or religious. (John 8:32) The Bible warns you not to put faith “in every word.” (Proverbs 14:15) Rather, it says that you should “make sure of all things”—or test out the things you hear before believing them. (1 Thessalonians 5:21) Why should you do research and test out your beliefs? Because faith based on falsehood is only a delusion. Some noble-minded people from the ancient city of Beroea set a fine example in acquiring proper faith. Even though these individuals really wanted to believe what Christian missionaries taught them, they made a point of “carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.”—Acts 17:11.

What, though, if what you learn seems to contradict some of your deeply held beliefs? Should you just ignore it? Of course not. There may well be times when it is eminently reasonable to consider powerful evidence that appears to contradict what you believe. In the Bible, God promises to reward sincere individuals who search for truth by granting them knowledge, discernment, and thinking ability.—Proverbs 2:1-12.

The kind of faith built on what the Bible teaches is compatible with reason. What kind of faith do you have? Many people have “inherited” their religious beliefs and have never seriously examined them in the light of reason. Yet, it is not a sign of disrespect to examine what you believe so as to ‘prove to yourself’ that your thinking is in harmony with God’s Word. (Romans 12:2) The Bible admonishes us to “test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1)]

[9-1-10 WT- To deceive, says one dictionary, means, “to cause to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid.” It also implies “imposing a false idea or belief that causes ignorance, bewilderment, or helplessness.” The basic idea of the word, along with such other words as “mislead” and “delude,” is to lead someone astray by underhanded means. Surely, a person who is not aware that he or she is being kept in a state of “ignorance, bewilderment, or helplessness” by deliberate misinformation is in serious danger. The really sad fact is that very often the person who is deceived or deluded tends to hold on to his belief in spite of strong evidence proving otherwise. Perhaps he gets so emotionally attached to his belief that he simply shuts his eyes and closes his ears to any evidence that might challenge it…Use what Jehovah God has given you. First of all, he has given you intellectual capacity so that you can distinguish truth from falsehood. (1 John 5:20)…Most important, God has provided you with an infallible means with which to protect yourself. What is that? The same one that the apostle Paul encouraged his companion Timothy to rely on when it came to matters of religious faith. After giving the warning about “wicked men and impostors,” the apostle Paul told Timothy to resist them by basing everything he believed on “the holy writings”—that is, on God’s holy Word, the Bible.—2 Timothy 3:15. Rather than being deceived by what is “falsely called ‘knowledge,’” use God’s Word to establish the truth. (1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Be like the noble-minded men and women whom the apostle Paul preached to in Beroea. They received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so. —Acts 17:11.You have nothing to fear from examining your beliefs in this way.The bible encourages you to "make sure of all things" before accepting them as true. (1 Thess 5:21) Toward the end of the first century C.E., the apostle John urged his fellow christians: " Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God." (1 John 4:1) Yes, even though a certain religious teaching seems to be "inspired" - or to come from God- it is still the course of wisdom to examine the Scriptures to make sure before accepting it as true- John 8:31,32. "]

[6-1-86 WT- To acquire a complete heart, we must be prepared emotionally to set aside preconceived opinions, willing to let God be found true even if it does demolish some of our pet ideas or cherished doctrinal views. (Romans 3:4)]

[12-1-00 WT- Whatever authority people may arrogate to themselves, you do not have to accept their conclusions if they contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense. In the final analysis, the wise course is always to “let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.” —Romans 3:4.]

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Sorry for my first time rant.

No apologies needed! I thought that was a great first time rant! The first of many, I hope!

And yeah, it is pretty amazing when you realize everyone around you doesn't question anything. It kind of seems a little "stepford" like, at first. But really it makes sense when you think about it.

If all their members questioned what they were told, they wouldn't have any members. I guess that's why some people call them a cult.

• Garrett
    Garrett

Your reaction to his response was perfectly appropriate. I showed the girl I loved proof that the religion made false end of the world predictions. Something that every witness would mock "Babylon the great" for doing claiming that it was proof that they were false, yet when they, the witnesses do it, it's merely a mistake. She said it was just a mistake on their part (imperfect men excuse)... I was speechless. Someone I thought was very rational and logical had just said the most illogical thing I had ever heard.

The witnesses are a cult, it's simple as that. The people who follow the organization have been brainwashed to never question the organization. If they do, they have the fear of being removed from the religion that they deem to be true. Being removed, in turn, sentences you to death when Armageddon comes. Do you see the circle of fear-mongering that they have created? This is why most won't question, even though their inner logic tells them otherwise.

Ultimately you have 3 options. 1/ FIGHT, do tons of research on the organization and try to wake your husband up. 2/ LEAVE and move on with your life. And lastly, 3/ ACCEPT your husband's and his family's beliefs at the cost of your mental health.

I wish you the best on this rough journey and look forward to your next post.

• steve2
    steve2

Let's get this straight: Your lawfully wedded husband has studied with these mental zombies for 20 years and only now you ask him those crucial questions?!

My God, woman, why on earth have you waited so long? 20 years!

And your husband has yet to make a commitment to the religion. You are probably right in saying you should have left years ago.

That dull-minded man of yours will probably plod along with the Witnesses' silly ideas for the rest of his life, whilst you seethe on the ranch in the scorching mid-summer sun, dreaming up ways to get him to drop the study. He'll never be completely in the religion but nor will he never be completely out. Sorry, girl, but whilst he's got the Witnesses on permanent stand-by, he will never really hear what you're saying.

Are you prepared for even one more year of this religious stupor and stupidity? As the previous poster, Garrett, outlined, you have but three options: Fight, leave or accept. If husband seems incapable of making a firm decision, you need to show you are capable of making a firm decision...and frankly, the sooner the better. Unless you're game for another 20 years of suffering in silence?

All power to you, ranch wife!

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

OK, so here is my intro to the JW world. I was seeing an Elder for 5 years the ONLY introduction to his religion up till that point was we do not believe in the cross, so out of respect I would remove my cross whenever we met up. So finally he gave me the publication on families " to see how I would react." Well when I got to the part about kids and school no participation the book went flying across the room. I will add at this point I am and he knew from all of the discussion that I am into child development - education, social skills, after school programs etc. He even knew I played a large role in having a pedophile put in prison for 15 years.

So, I really did not want to come across as to angry so I just sent an email asking a simple question what if a child shows a great interest in say choir could they participate in the after school program.

Response. No. My response - why not. Elders response: Good bye have a nice life.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    It was not till I got on these sites that I figured out you do not question anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit