How do you feel about Common Core education?

by nonjwspouse 107 Replies latest social current

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

More information with plenty of links to follow and good information. This is not a tin foil hat subject as some here suggest.

Check out the key findings link and it will validate what I said earlier about recuding the education requirements for graduation because community college is the goal of Common core.

http://www.ncee.org/college-and-work-ready/

Yes., I know my postings HAVE been covering a massive amount of topics and material. This is why it is so frustrating. There is SO MUCH that has not been understood, but educators and parents are now beginning to wake up.

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

I have had some first hand experience with common core as a parent.

1. I do not know if the problem is Common Core itself or the course material from the publishers. However, I have discovered a great deal that is flat wrong.
    2. I have noticed that the teachers waste considerable time on stuff that simply is not critical at that grade level. Time would be better spent reinforcing the basics.
    3. I have also noticed that they seem to be teaching short cuts. Bad, bad idea. I do not know if this is the teacher, the course material, or the common core.
    4. Sorry to be so blunt. However, whenever I meet someone talking about "critical thinking skills", they are usually an idiot. This is my experience over the last 20+ years, since I first encountered the expression in college. People who know how to think don't talk about it, and it is very hard to teach someone to think in a classroom. Certainly not with multiple choice tests. Actually, it is very difficult to teach someone to think, and in all honesty, "thinking" is actually a neblous concept. Long conversation for another thread.
    5. At best, this new cirriculum is unproven and carries a great deal of baggage. I think that the states who are holding out are wise.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Thanks Mr Home.

I am on a research freszy of late and this article jumped out at me as a unlikely source.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mercedes-schneider/common-core-unrest-obviou_b_4384203.html?utm_source=Alert-blogger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%2BNotifications

The more educators and parents really learn about this, the more they dislike it

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

nonjwspouse: This is not a tin foil hat subject as some here suggest.

Who exactly suggested that?

I went to the link you provided above and watched the video interview with Marc Tucker addressing the question:

• What are the implications for the Common Core State Standards?

All I can say is this: Once again you are posting paranoid rants about something which you clearly do not understand! It is obvious you didn't even watch the video link you posted. Marc Tucker completely supports the CCSS!!!

Here is a transcript of excerpts from his interview:

"Common Core State Standards certainly calls for a much more complex understanding of all kinds of texts than the current expectations in our schools. That's entirely consistent with our findings.

"It certainly calls for our students to be able to do much more writing, … [writing] outside the realm of creative writing … [non-fictional writing] … than they currently do.

"The CCSS clearly call … for students to be able to do reading outside of the realm of … literature, reading associated with other disciplines than is the case now. And that would certainly be validated by our findings.

"CCSS in mathematics call for a much deeper understanding of elementary and middle school math than our students currently have, which is one of our core findings in mathematics.

"And the CCSS in mathematics, read carefully, clearly leave much of what ought to happen … in the upper division of high school optional, which is entirely consistent with the findings of our panel as well.

"CCSS in math I think are particularly consistent with the findings of our panel … it is far more important for our students to really understand and master middle school mathematics … than to rush into algebra.

"Our findings generally provide very strong validation for the CCSS."

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

mrhhome:

• I do not know if the problem is Common Core itself or the course material from the publishers.
    • I do not know if this is the teacher, the course material, or the common core.

Thank you for acknowledging that you are talking about a subject which you do not understand and are unqualified to analyze.

mrhhome : it is very difficult to teach someone to think, and in all honesty, "thinking" is actually a neblous concept.

I appreciate your honesty that you find "thinking" to be a nebulous concept. I am therefore not surprised that you find it difficult to teach someone to think. For those of us trained to do so, it is indeed a challenge, but it is not as difficult as you might suppose. In fact, it can be a pleasure!

mrhhome : this new cirriculum is unproven and carries a great deal of baggage.

Duh, anything "new" is by definition "unproven." Thank you Captain Obvious for stating the obvious. BTW, you spelled "curriculum" incorrectly. Your ignorance is showing.

That being said, could you please elucidate? What exactly is the "great deal of baggage" to which you refer?

mrhhome : I think that the states who are holding out are wise.

Okay, so you're "thinking" again, and we know how difficult that can be for you, but seriously now: it's time for a grammar lesson! States cannot be "wise" as they are not sentient beings. I'll forgive you the error since you find "thinking" to be such a nebulous concept.

Please allow me to help you. Perhaps you meant to say something like this: "The political leaders of the five states which have not yet adopted the CCSS are showing wisdom and restraint ... [blah, blah, blah]."

First of all, political leaders have no business dictating how children should be taught. That should be left to professional educators.

That being said, do you know that 45 out of the 50 states of the US have adopted the CCSS? They have! Do you know why the five that haven't, haven't? There are some really good reasons and they're not for the reasons that you might think. Go find out before you post again. Otherwise you'll only embarrass yourself further.

Please, until you know what the heck you're talking about, refrain from further comment!

Thank you.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

This is not a tin foil hat subject as some here suggest.

Oh yes but I'm afraid it is.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Berengaria: Oh yes but I'm afraid it is.

Please clarify.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

nonjwspouse is approaching the entire subject from a sky is falling, conspiracy theory, misinformation angle. How can one even atempt to look at a subject, if they have already made up their mind that it is "Satan"?

As for not being able to "teach" thinking skills. Hogwash. It's just developing a talent. Like being spoon fed an interpretation of such and such a scripture a la the Truth Book, or probing for the possible meaning with an open mind.

• DJS
    DJS

Teaching to the test, as I have mentioned before on this forum, is IMHO the biggest problem. Students aren't likely to learn a subject well if teachers teach primarily to the items that will be on the standardized tests. I have been an adjunct prof at 2 colleges, and I can attest to the types of students leaving high school and entering college. I've seen what teaching to the test has done to students.

• DJS
    DJS

file://localhost/Users/davidscates/Desktop/Teachers%20complain%20Common%20Cor.textClipping Teachers complain Common Core-linked lessons little more than scripts to read

By Perry ChiaramontePublished December 05, 2013FoxNews.com

• Proponents say Common Core will help establish national education standards, but critics believe it will mean the end of local control of education. (AP)

Some of the biggest critics of new lesson plans aligned with the national Common Core standards are the people charged with teaching them.

A growing number of teachers say the national standards, adopted by some 45 states, have combined with pressure to "teach to the test" to take all individuality out of their craft. Some teachers told FoxNews.com the new education approach is turning their lessons into little more than data-dispensing sessions, and they fear their jobs are being marginalized.

“Now teachers aren’t as unique,” said Michael Warren, a public school history teacher in New Jersey. “It means anyone can do it. It’s like taking something done by humans and having it done by a machine.”

"It’s like taking something done by humans and having it done by a machine.”

- Michael Warren, New Jersey public school teacher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit