How do you feel about Common Core education?

by nonjwspouse 107 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Go back and read my previous posts. I provided several examples.

Do you understand the difference between personal anecdotes and verifiable evidence??

Please give examples of the "at least one or two vocabulary words that are flat-out wrong".

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Was I mentioning vocabulary words in my post? Maybe re-read. I provided plenty of links, verifiable soources. You need to come up with a new mantra.

This Math Algebra1 book getting not only the answer wrong here, but the process to solve it is wrong.

https://twitter.com/michellemalkin/status/302113668752089088/photo/1/large

Are the textbook companies in such a hurry that they can't catch these and many other things. This one is not unique. It is an example.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

First of all this was not directed at you, as per the quote. Second, you continue to make clear your lack of understanding. It doeesn't matter what the textbook companies provide, because it is up to each individual State/District to choose what they will use. Stop with the hysteria and use your head.

Not to mention, do you think there is a possiblility that these texts may have included "errors" in previous publications? In other world pre Common Core?? Or didn't it worry/interest you then?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My understanding is one of growing knowladge of this material. I am not setopping at the talking points, but investigating what I feel to be serious problems with te entire CCSS standards, implimentation, accountability, test evaluation and many many other things.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I am not setopping at the talking points,

See, I don't know what this means.....?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Here is another link to more expaination of why I am so upet at the CCSS.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/12/23/is-common-core-rigorous-or-more-nearly-the-opposite

But are these standards for English and mathematics actually rigorous?

If they are, it is only because proponents have “redefined the term,” academic scholar Jane Robbins said in an interview. “You and I think of it [rigor] as requiring a student to demonstrate a high level of academic knowledge. That’s not what they mean. They’re thinking of something infinitely more subjective, such as application to real-world situations, problem-solving, and so forth.”

So just as “relevance” once was the educationese buzzword du jour, “rigor” is now. In fact, one citadel of progressive education has even concocted a tedious “Rigor/Relevance Framework” for pondering cosmic issues.

So-called “critical thinking” is central to all this, and it inevitably appears in breathless accounts of how Common Core will shun lectures and memorization and have kids instead dissect complex issues and arrive at their own opinions, informed or otherwise.

Robbins, who has analyzed Common Core extensively as a senior fellow for the American Principles Project, emphasizes “this is not to be confused with ‘analytical thinking,’ which is logical and linear. Instead, it [critical thinking] means examining a question from all conceivable angles, such as point of view, power structures, and fairness.”

When the first Common Core-linked tests were administered in New York and Kentucky, student scores fell precipitously (some 30 points) from levels on the previous knowledge-based testing. That led Secretary Duncan to sing praises for the New Rigor while chiding critics as “white suburban moms” who were miffed their children supposedly were exposed as not so smart after all.

That ignores an obvious alternative explanation: the Core is more convoluted and frustrating, especially for primary-age children, than previous curricula, and it’s not more rigorous in imparting basic knowledge. Consider whether these examples of CCSS wisdom seem infused with rigor, or for that matter, common sense:

• A Common Core teachers’ guide gives teachers a 29-page script for teaching ninth and 10 th graders to read Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. Strangely enough, it directs teachers to have students read the address strictly as a piece of isolated text without any shred of context, such as that President Lincoln was speaking at a funeral in Pennsylvania in the middle of the Civil War. That seems stupid, not rigorous.
    • The reverence for “informational text” shines through in the CCSS mandating nonfictional material (including workplace and governmental boilerplate) consume an increasing quantity of reading that might otherwise have been devoted to classic literature, leading to a 70 percent text quota by the high-school years. Technocrats egotistical enough to prescribe such a universal formula for student reading material obviously have little use for the humanities.
    • Speaking of formulas, the CCSS remarkably draws on the convoluted Lexile methodology that uses sentence length and vocabulary to score texts from least to most complex. In a withering critique in the October 29 issue of The New Republic, University of Iowa English prof. Blaine Greteman exposed numerous absurdities of such a rating system—for example, that Huckleberry Finn isn’t Lexile-complex enough for ninth-graders, but Sports Illustrated for Kids’ Awesome Athletes! is. Greteman concluded Lexile scoring “is the intellectual equivalent of the thermometer; perfect for cooking turkeys, but not for encouraging moral growth.”
    • As for Common Core math, even its lead writers have conceded these “college- and career-ready” standards, if followed strictly by participating states, would not prepare students for the truly rigorous STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) majors in universities. Ending after Algebra II, with little trigonometry and no pre-calculus, CCSS basically is geared to the entry level of nonselective community colleges.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The resistance to CCSS is growing. CCSS is not about an individual personas education, it's all about the collective. ( That sounds familiar)

Here is another story, one of a straight A student that did not take the test and the retailiation that resulted. Retaliation.....for going against the collective.

http://missourieducationwatchdog.com/schools-not-so-subtle-action-against-student-who-refused-the-test/

These stories are growing, and getting more media attention.

Thankfully my daughter's school decided over the holiday break to end the adoption of CCSS! I am beyond thrilled! Voices ARE being heard.

• nonjwspouse

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit