How do you feel about Common Core education?

by nonjwspouse 107 Replies latest social current

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Current high school exit exams test to about the 10th grade. Common Core will be teaching to this test. Several states have found their own standards to be higher than CCSS. Berengaria mentioned Texas...but there are more states than texas that have higher standards compared to CC.

https://tcta.org/node/11906-texas_standards_compared_to_common_core

Have you clicked the links within these blogs to the documents etc?

The second group was the one with the power. They are identified in the next two subsections, “Develop End-of-High-School Expectations” and “Develop K-12 Standards in English Language Arts and Math”:

Achieve, ACT, and College Board.

NGA and CCSSO wanted to keep the membership of this group a secret. Stotsky testifies as much:

After the Common Core Initiative was launched in early 2009, the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers never explained to the public what the qualifications were for membership on the standards-writing committees or how it would justify the specific standards they created. Most important, it never explained why Common Core’s high school exit standards were equal to college admission requirements without qualification, even though this country’s wide ranging post-secondary institutions use a variety of criteria for admission.

Eventually responding to the many charges of a lack of transparency, the names of the 24 members of the “Standards Development Work Group” were revealed in a July 1, 2009 news release. The vast majority, it appeared, work for testing companies. Not only did CCSSI give no rationale for the composition of this Work Group, it gave no rationale for the people it put on the two three-member teams in charge of writing the grade-level standards. [Emphasis added.]

As the CCSS MOU notes, this “Standards Development Work Group” is overwhelmingly comprised of Achieve, ACT and College Board members.

But there are others whose affiliations remain unacknowledged in the CCSS MOU– including David Coleman and his national standards writing company, Student Achievement Partners.

David Coleman, “a lead architect” of CCSS. David Coleman, “the architect of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.”

The very public CCSS “ghost writer.”

One article explaining the CCSS is not what it claims,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-farley/points-to-ponder-about-th_b_811769.html

This link provides some text and also links to the Sandra Stotsky (CCSS validation committee member) testimony against CCSS English, Language Arts mediocre standards.

http://parentsacrossamerica.org/sandra-stotsky-on-the-mediocrity-of-the-common-core-ela-standards/

Time to sign on the dotted line. Just two signatures: A state’s governor and education superintendent.

Two officials making a decision with profound consequences for thousands of people.

No vote by parents or teachers. Although many educaters have said they support it, also said they don't understand it. ( Does this sound familiar to any of you?)

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said in a speech that a survey of the members of the country’s second-largest teachers union found that 75 percent supported the Core but “a similarly overwhelming majority said they haven’t had enough time to understand the standards, put them into practice or share strategies with colleagues.” And she called for a moratorium on the high-stakes use of the test scores to evaluate teachers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/25/arne-duncan-tells-newspaper-editors-how-to-report-on-common-core/

The states must apply at least 85% of the Common Core criteria for curriculium to their own criteria in order to get the massive funding.

(I've not yet found a link to teaching standards to the 10th grade specifically. I've asked my sister to send me one)

Parents have deep concerns about the Common Core standards and their associated assessments, signed onto by 43 states and the District of Columbia. They have been adopted and developed in a rushed manner, because of pressure from the Gates Foundation and the US Department of Education, which threatened to withhold “Race to the Top” grants from any state which did not promise to adopt them.

These standards and their assessments are likely to cost states and districts tens of billions of dollars to implement. There are also huge questions about whether these new tests will be valid and reliable; see Julie Woestehoff’s posting on this. In addition, while they are supposed to test “high order thinking,” they will be administered and scored by computers!

Here is a critique of the standards themselves, from Sandra Stotsky, a respected expert who helped develop the Massachusetts standards, widely regarded as the best in the nation. This is her testimony in support of a Texas bill that would retain their own state standards, and reject the Common Core. Stotsky points out how the Common Core were developed by a taskforce, the majority of whose members work for testing companies, and how the tests themselves are being crafted “behind closed doors.”

- See more at: http://parentsacrossamerica.org/sandra-stotsky-on-the-mediocrity-of-the-common-core-ela-standards/#sthash.bcCl2PBa.dpuf

Parents have deep concerns about the Common Core standards and their associated assessments, signed onto by 43 states and the District of Columbia. They have been adopted and developed in a rushed manner, because of pressure from the Gates Foundation and the US Department of Education, which threatened to withhold “Race to the Top” grants from any state which did not promise to adopt them.

These standards and their assessments are likely to cost states and districts tens of billions of dollars to implement. There are also huge questions about whether these new tests will be valid and reliable; see Julie Woestehoff’s posting on this. In addition, while they are supposed to test “high order thinking,” they will be administered and scored by computers!

Here is a critique of the standards themselves, from Sandra Stotsky, a respected expert who helped develop the Massachusetts standards, widely regarded as the best in the nation. This is her testimony in support of a Texas bill that would retain their own state standards, and reject the Common Core. Stotsky points out how the Common Core were developed by a taskforce, the majority of whose members work for testing companies, and how the tests themselves are being crafted “behind closed doors.”

- See more at: http://parentsacrossamerica.org/sandra-stotsky-on-the-mediocrity-of-the-common-core-ela-standards/#sthash.bcCl2PBa.dpuf Here is a critique of the standards themselves, from Sandra Stotsky, a respected expert who helped develop the Massachusetts standards, widely regarded as the best in the nation. This is her testimony in support of a Texas bill that would retain their own state standards, and reject the Common Core. Stotsky points out how the Common Core were developed by a taskforce, the majority of whose members work for testing companies, and how the tests themselves are being crafted “behind closed doors.” - See more at: http://parentsacrossamerica.org/sandra-stotsky-on-the-mediocrity-of-the-common-core-ela-standards/#sthash.bcCl2PBa.dpuf Here is a critique of the standards themselves, from Sandra Stotsky, a respected expert who helped develop the Massachusetts standards, widely regarded as the best in the nation. This is her testimony in support of a Texas bill that would retain their own state standards, and reject the Common Core. Stotsky points out how the Common Core were developed by a taskforce, the majority of whose members work for testing companies, and how the tests themselves are being crafted “behind closed doors.” - See more at: http://parentsacrossamerica.org/sandra-stotsky-on-the-mediocrity-of-the-common-core-ela-standards/#sthash.bcCl2PBa.dpuf

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NJWS: "The wants of an individual are less important than the nations well being."

Well that is a bit bizarre, but you give no context other than saying it's from possessive nouns worksheet devoted to politics.

Can you supply a scan of the worksheet?

In the state where I teach high school students are required to read books such as Nineteen Eighty-four, The Giver, Anthem, and Animal Farm. Literature like this definitely help them to learn to struggle with issues of individuality versus the control of the state.

Additionally, modern history textbooks--especially our 11th grade US History book--contains numerous Critical Thinking exercises designed to train students to question how belief systems have led to abuses of authority in the past, even in our country.

I'll look up the exact reference I'm thinking about when I get to school and post it later.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NJWS, thank you for posting the above links.

I don't have time at the moment to read everything you posted, but it appears you have confused what most states call their "High School Exit Exam" (HSEE) with the CCSS "exit standards."

In my state the HSEE is roughly at an 8-9th grade level and is only in math and English skills. The CCSS are intended to make students "college and/or career ready" and as such are correspondingly HIGHER than state HSEE requirements.

Again, you seem to keep raising concerns--some which are legitimate and others which are questionable--that are generally socially endemic but which are not related to the CCSS.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NJWS, you mentioned that you have an advanced degree. Do you mind if I ask in what field is it that you hold a post-baccalaureate degree?

Also, if you re-read my first post on this thread you'll see that even then I acknowledged that publishing companies stand to make a lot of money off of these changes.

It would be nice if we lived in a society where educational goals were not tied to the realities of economics, but we do not. Schools should not be run like a business, I agree. But that fact that publishing and testing companies are involved does not in-and-of-itself make it evil. Frankly, they're generally more qualified to plan and design curriculum than any politicians.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Oubiellette,

The full scan of that nine page worksheet in contained within one of the links above. A partial scan is as well with just the page that is referanced.

Yes there is plenty to read about. The CCSS standards claim to have every student pass that exam. Now what does that mean exactly? It could go more than one way. But theCCSS standards are not clear about it. This s the issue i am having. The talking points, presentations, early articles, etc are all quite positive, but when trying to look into who wrote these standards it gets fuzzy. It seems as if the testing companys are running the CCSS show. The conflict of interest is huge if this is indeeed the case, which it seems so far as if it is.

Yes some concerns are probably questionable, which is why I am questioning them. The answers don't seem to add up when trying to gleen them from the CCSS.

More than just a couple states are now questioning CCSS and dfo not like what they are finding. Some are " locked in" by a signature... does that seem like a state's choice? A signature before even knowing the complete CCSS criteria?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Do you agree that it ishould be accomplished educators, not politicians or publishing companies to plan and design the standards?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NJSW: The full scan of that nine page worksheet in contained within one of the links above.

There are 11 links in your post at the top of the page. It would have been nice if you pointed out the specific one.

NJWS: The CCSS standards claim to have every student pass that exam.

What exam? Where is this claim made? Please be specific.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Sorry I'll have to get the specifics within the links later when I have more time. I know those blogs have lots and lots of links in them with information sources.

I have an accredited MBA with a marketing concentration.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Leave it to the states, eh? How do you propose to address the huge regional inequities in education that has lead to?

(The shame of the south and much of the mid-west.)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Earlier today I posted this: " modern history textbooks--especially our 11th grade US History book--contains numerous Critical Thinking exercises designed to train students to question how belief systems have led to abuses of authority in the past, even in our country."

Here is the exact prompt from 11th grade US History textbook concerning the history of the Americas from its earliest colonization by Europeans through to the 1700s :

• CRITICIAL THINKING AND WRITING - Recognizing Bias: What beliefs influenced European's view of themselves and other cultures? How did these beliefs affect their actions? - America: Pathways to the Present, Prentice Hall, 2007, p. 12

To correctly answer a prompt like this requires a high level of thinking. Student need to first know about and then understand the various beliefs Europeans held regarding land ownership as well as the political, economic, philosophical and religious beliefs that informed their world view. These beliefs were dramatically different from those of the Native Americans as well as of African societies. Essential to answering these questions, students must understand and be able to clearly explain that the ethno-centric beliefs of the Europeans--in particular that other cultures were inferior--allowed them to justify viewing other human beings as mere property. An ironic twist was the core tenet of their Christian belief system that they must convert all non-Christians to Christianity.

Although this prompt is in a textbook which predates the Common Core, it is these kinds of Critical Thinking skills which the CCSS stress.

I think it is also important to mention that an exercise like this forces students to confront some pretty unpleasant realities about "our history" as Americans. The fact that we even CAN have a discussion like this is proof that we're not living in North Korea, or Nazi Germany.

You'll never see an honest self-retrospective like this in the pages of the WT or Awake!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit