Trying to overcome my homophobia.

by Julia Orwell 71 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I don't care what anyone says, homosexuality is an unnatural thing and a certain degree of so-called 'homophobia' (gay agenda propaganda term, not a proper scientific or medical term) is totally natural.

I've got a few questions for you Yadda, about this comment of yours.?

You say, " homosexuality is an unnatural thing." The Oxford online dictionary defines 'natural' as:

"existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind"

How do we know whether something exists in nature? Would you agree that it is by observation?

If you do agree, then can we observe 'homosexuality' in' nature'?

I quoted (on the other concurrent gay thread) Bruce Bagemihl's book, 'Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Adversity.' Bagemihl's book is a metastudy of hundreds of observations by biologists and naturalist of animal sexual behaviour (in nature, do you agree?) that demonstrate that homosexuality exists naturally in other life forms, besides humans

So your claim that homosexuality is 'unnatural,' is false and misleading.

Now, let's look at your other claim in your statement.

and a certain degree of so-called 'homophobia' (gay agenda propaganda term, not a proper scientific or medical term) is totally natural.

The first point I'd like to discuss is your claim that the term 'homophobia' is not a proper scientific or medical term.

If you are right, then we should not find it being used in professional journals. Right?

So let's look: Here's a quote from The American Psychological Associations, Newsletter

WASHINGTON -- Psychoanalytic theory holds that homophobia -- the fear, anxiety, anger, discomfort and aversion that some ostensibly heterosexual people hold for gay individuals -- is the result of repressed homosexual urges that the person is either unaware of or denies. A study appearing in the August 1996 issue of the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association (APA), provides new empirical evidence that is consistent with that theory.

If you are right and, "the term 'homophobia' is not a proper scientific or medical term," why is it being used by an organisation like the APA?

Please note that:

The American Psychological Association (APA), in Washington,DC, is the largest scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States and is the world's largest association of psychologists. APA's membership includes more than 142,000 researchers, educators, clinicians, consultants and students. Through its divisions in 49 subfields of psychology and affiliations with 58 state and Canadian provincial associations, APA works to advance psychology as a science, as a profession and as a means of promoting human welfare.

Are you still agreeing, or are you disagreeing?

Finally, here's the full details of the study under discussion:

Article: 'Is Homophobia Associated With Homosexual Arousal?' by Henry E. Adams, Ph.D., Lester W. Wright, Jr., Ph.D. and Bethany A. Lohr, University of Georgia, in Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol. 105, No. 3, pp 440-445.

The matter being checked was is there a connection between homophobia and homosexual arousal. That is, if someone with an anxiety problem over their personal homosexual attractions, sees male to male sexual activity, does it cause even deeper anxiety that becomes manifest as homophobia?

May I ask you a question now? Why does it matter to you, what someone else does in bed (or, elsewhere) ?

• DJS
    DJS

Yadda,

Please don't be offended by what I'm about to say. I know there are lots of people who feel as you do. But your comments and the thoughts and feelings of those like you I despise. With a capital D. Certainly you have your opinion. You also can continue to hate based on some ridiculous man-made premise or conditioning designed to control normal human behavior. Some of the controls were understandable. Some were not.

• Rebecca 619
    Rebecca 619

my feelings towards gay people completely changed when my son came out and was dfd,i have great love for him as a person and he has a wonderful heart full of love and compassion, i see the anguish he lives with every day, he would not choose this, he loves Jehovah, you may feel one way until someone close to you is gay and you feel completely differant.

• Rebecca 619
    Rebecca 619

I forgot to add i dont think its all about sex its about having someone to love and love you. Thats what i have percieved.

• DJS
    DJS

The very best thing about the opinions of Yadda and those like them is that they are all dead men walking. T Rexes short for the world. The generation coming up now does not share those feelings and the generation after them will share them even less. Let it come.

• DJS
    DJS

And Yadda, don't care what anyone else thinks. It doesn't matter. In a generation people will look back on your bigotry, hatred and narrow mindedness and wonder how the hell viewpoints like yours ever existed. Dead man walking. Short for the world. Yadda do you have kids? Would you feel the same way if one or all of them were gay?

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

• no lies please
    no lies please

I agree with cantleave. If you can make it to the next gay pride parade near you, it will change your view of gays forever. I've gone to 3 so far in the years since I left the KH. They know how to put on a parade! Love it.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've never heard of a gay pride event in Australia except for the Sydney mardi gras. I've seen that on tv and it's pretty cool but all the kissing is just gross. And I go back to my point of it being gross to me if it were heteros dancing down the street kissing and slobbering too.

I'm glad gay people can be gay these days, rather than having to marry and then cheat on the wife with men in the bushes near the beach. Yes, there are 'gay' sex spots around here where men disappear into the bushes for some anonymous sex. At least if they can meet a man and live with him or marry him they aren't cheating on any woman they've felt pressured to marry.

Looking at gay things is helping me to see that they're no different to me. They want companionship and and love like anyone, for instant just someone to cuddle up on the couch with and watch a movie. Not gay sex though. I don't want to look at that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, sex of any kind is kind of pink (or chocolate), slobbery, sweaty, and smelly. If it weren't for the happy hormones we might not breed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit