god-of-the-gaps. Should we or shouldn't we fiil in the gaps with God?

by KateWild 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

cantleave - I should believe in the FSM should I. LOL! funny

But you had a point in playing silly monkeys. Correct me if I am wrong...your point is, talking about science won't really help me in my deprogramming. If I like science then I should learn about science. I am asking questions like this because I am suffering conitive dissonance from a distructive cult.

Is that what you are trying to help me grasp?

Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

KateWild, giving yourself permission to ask the question will help you overcome the cognitive dissonance. You are doing great. Don't be in a hurry to replace your ideology. It is OK to live with a few unanswered questions.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Kate , as i said in my poorly typed ramble..... If it makes you feel better then sure go ahead.

If society adopted your suggestion tommorow, the world would enter another dark age.

Despite several people explaining many reasons why not, you are simply ignoring them and asking again... "Why not?"

it appears you don't really want an answer or don't understand what you are proposing and the consequences it has. Maybe if you remove all technology and advancements in your home and life, born from research and science that came from asking how, why, where and when and indeed specifically ignored an older answer of "God did it." I think you would soon change your mind.

Thankfully the majority of society have dropped this bronze age lazy thinking, but I am sure it has powerful comforting features for those that adopt it.

......to bronze aged man, a rainbow came when it rained and was a message from god about rain and flooding........ God did it!

The real causes of a rainbow are used in science to measure elements in samples and examine specimens for all kinds of progress.

snare x

• jgnat
    jgnat

snare, I am particularly impressed how we use the spectrum to analyse the elements of distant stars, and even how fast they are travelling from us!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Let me put it another way, would you have a problem Kate if i asked why we dont from now on just say .....

A Magical Pink Unicorn did it!

To everything we dont know? Why cant we do that?

• KateWild
    KateWild

snare- I am sorry I ignored your first post. I didn't mean to.

Despite several people explaining many reasons why not, you are simply ignoring them and asking again... "Why not?"

Can you be specific with one example---I probs missed something by mistake, I wasn't ignoring a point on purpose-Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Don't be in a hurry to replace your ideology.-jgnat

Thank you for promoting this, but if I was entirely comfortable with my ideology, I would be spending all this time doing something more productive. I am questioning my own beliefs, and I may in time be happy and content not to have any answers. But atm for me I want to take a closer look

Kate xx

• cantleave
    cantleave

Is that what you are trying to help me grasp?

I think it has been said throughout this thread. Filling in the gaps of our understanding with mystism and the supernatural is the best way to create intellectual stagnation. The human mind has evolved to resolve problems, it has enabled us to gain an understanding of the world around us and dispell myths and legends which at one time provided a degree of comfort to help us cope with the things that frightened us.

As our knowledge has increased not once has a supernatural cause been shown to provide a satisfactory explanation for a previously perplexing phenomena. So why would anyone think that in the future, the current gaps in human understanding will be resolved by a supernatural explanation?

• KateWild
    KateWild

degree of comfort to help us cope with the things that frightened us.-cantleave

I would agree with that to some extent, the big wide world can be scary, and so are the mean ones in it.

So why would anyone think that in the future, the current gaps in human understanding will be resolved by a supernatural explanation?-cantleave

I suppose personally my answer would be...just because we want them to be.

Very good point for me to ponder on thanks kate xx

• Laika
    Laika

It seems a reasonable enough hypothesis but should be tested as much as any other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit