god-of-the-gaps. Should we or shouldn't we fiil in the gaps with God?

by KateWild 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adamah
    adamah

BTW, Stauros, you have heard of dialysis machines, which people who don't have kidney function (or where it is impaired, due to diseases like diabetes) need to use regularly to purify their blood?

Despite lacking kidneys (or with impaired kidney function), they still manage to make sound decisions....

Adam

• Stauros
    Stauros

Ok Adamah, perhaps you can give me some words I can live by using your degree of intellect. You are intellectual, yet you do not have an answer for me that explains the origin of all life on this planet earth. Instead you choose to challenge those that believe in GOD, which makes more sense than any other explanation........learn to appreciate what was given to you, a chance to live upon the planet that my GOD created.

Estephan

• prologos
    prologos

snare & racket.talking of your "tangents" comment.

it is one of the most fruitful mental tools.

picture a particle , or thought leaving a circular reasoning, a spin,-- the particle/ thought goes off at a tangent, a spin-off so to speak.

The most known equation e=-- was the result of a spin-off from an unrelated work on Travel at the speed of light.

many more examples in the book I am reading right now: "Present at the creation" by A.D. Aszel. (Cern works.)

Non of the HARD science you imply is aimed at me (why?) contains any proof there is no creator. the existence of creation as least makes the existence of a creator plausible.

you never heard of "research as god"? I mused to fill the gap with "research" instead of god.

god is love, god is light, god is a brazilian, gott mit uns, why not god the research? it has its prophets, its cathedrals underground, Fermi Lab, Cern, its sacrifices. its code-speak. mention god and you are marked, shunned. so,

taking extreme positions, new thoughts livens the discussion, thought processes.

Haiden Planetarium of my days: did the projector showing the varied images have a maker ZEITZ affixed to it, but the universe it marginally depicts does not?

filling the gaps of our knowledge with well researched knowledge will of course not reveal the creator, but his workings.

Can you extrapolate lthat by looking at the "mona lisa" you would know all about all the personality of the master painter at all?

The question about the god of the gaps, is not to categorize the posters, but please to give us much needed answers ON SUBJECT. thank you.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well I am glad you have all had fun since I was gone, and I decalred it the end of thread. I even got a PM to read it again. Thank you for inviting me back. My answer still remains the same. But thanks for your opinions.

Logic tells me one thing and emotion tells me another. Thats it for now. I am happy and content knowing my thoughts and feelings about God are at odds. He confuses me. I don't really care if I stay confused about him for the short or long term future or for the rest of my life. At times He is the most important thing in my life, at other times He is a low priority.

I think that has a lot to do with being a Df'd Jewish Jehovah's Witness woman, lots of different things to process.

See you all around the board guys

Love Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL, like you are in charge of the thread now. It's gone down the rabbit hole! I am glad that you are still seeking, searching.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's gone down the rabbit hole!- jgnat LOL!

Very funny. Well if posters still want to post they can, if it's fun for them. Heres me posting again though

• adamah
    adamah

Stauros said- Ok Adamah, perhaps you can give me some words I can live by using your degree of intellect. You are intellectual, yet you do not have an answer for me that explains the origin of all life on this planet earth.

You seem to assume that simply because a question can be asked, the Universe personally owes you an answer (that you can understand) that's been handed on a silver platter? Sorry, but I or anyone else doesn't owe you any explanations, and THAT is an arrogant, hubristic assumption to make (as is filling in the answer with a "God of the gaps"), and it's usually done out of the rampant sense of entitlement so prevalent in human society, often only serving as an convenient excuse to placate guilt over not doing the HARD WORK REQUIRED to find ACTUAL, TRUE answers to questions.

eg leprosy is actually caused NOT by 'sin' (as Jesus said), but by a bacterial infection that has been successfully treated with antibiotics millions of times over. If men had simply accepted that Jesus was correct, then it would be a sin to search for the cause and treat those effected by this disfiguring and disabling disease. Thank God (said tongue-in-cheek) prior generations of men DIDN'T sit on their laurels and pray to God for deliverance, but found what causes it!

Stauros said- Instead you choose to challenge those that believe in GOD, which makes more sense than any other explanation........

WTH, Stauros? We've just presented you with overwhelming evidence that the Bible isn't inspired by a God who's the "designer" of humans, much less an "intelligent" designer! Do we need to go on to the firmament, flat Earth, the value of handwashing, etc, etc, to see FURTHER evidence that the Bible was written by clever mortals who relied on the common scientific beliefs of their day (and even that's being generous: if you read the article on the heart, you'd KNOW that the more-educated Greeks knew that the brain was the organ of cognition, even when Jesus was still parroting the Torah's mistakes about men thinking with their hearts)? And you dare to state that 'God Dun It' "makes more sense" than the other ideas presented?

See, I value TRUTH more than anything. You clearly don't, but are content to allow your conclusions to determine what evidence you will evaluate: that's a classic example of "placing of carts before the horses", and that doesn't fly in the science lab.

Just admit to yourself that you really don't give a rat's arse about ANY evidence that challenges your pre-accepted conclusion, and at least have the courage to admit to yourself that you're going to believe what you WANT to be true, whether the evidence supports that belief or not. You can lie to others, but it's a shame to lie to yourself (AKA self-delusion). Some of us prefer to believe in TRUTHS, not comforting myths; we're not as egotistical as believers of religious dogma, eg expecting the World to be at the center of the Universe, simply because the Bible suggested it.

Stauros said- learn to appreciate what was given to you, a chance to live upon the planet that my GOD created.

Here's a little cartoon which you might (or might not) enjoy: the logistical problem of God's days of creation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcQTCoY3wYQ

Adam

• QC
    QC
    admah: Here's a little cartoon which you might (or might not) enjoy:
    Posting Guidelines

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
    3. Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments.

You’re emboldened by the heavy anti-god prejudice on this forum. So you break the rules.

Feeling the need to deploy foul language (break the rules) is really a feeble mind trying to express itself forcefully.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

And thats why pandas dont get laid....

• adamah
    adamah

Sure, QC, and show me where I used profanity above?

If you're referring to the potty mouth of the guy who made the video, I have no control over DarkMatter's language, but to complain over it is arguably "tone trolling", and seemingly serves as a convenient excuse to dismiss the valid point he raises in the cartoon.

No comment on the 49 OCTILLION days needed to make ALL the stars, assuming God worked at the same rate which he took to make the Earth?

See, although the stars only appear to be tiny dots twinkling as they hang from the solid dark blue metal roof of the firmament to which they're attached, stars are actually KNOWN nowadays to be entire galaxies (that is, those tiny minority which even can be seen with the naked eye).

Here's (yet) another example of how "God of the gaps" thinking is absurd and thought-stopping in the science laboratory, since patching gaps with the explanations found in the Bible (or worse, relying on those NOT found in the Bible, but simply saying "God Dun It!") is as ridiculous as patching holes in drywall with vanilla ice cream, simply because it happens to match in color (rather than doing the job correctly, using spackle and paint).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit