god-of-the-gaps. Should we or shouldn't we fiil in the gaps with God?

by KateWild 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Einstein.. He just accepted and believed God did it.

No he really didn't.

Newton also believed in God.

Yes and when he got stuck he sometimes inserted god. History shows those were the moments he was foolish and impatient.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

" Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of Nature, and therefore this holds for the action of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a Supernatural Being."

(Albert Einstein, 1936, The Human Side. Responding to a child who wrote and asked if scientists pray.)

• KateWild
    KateWild

Wouldn't it have been better just to accept that lack of understanding?-bemused

I accept I have a lack of understanding as does science in general, no harm though saying God did is there? If so tell me why

Kate xx

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

If we just accepted Newton's work as finished and left 'god' insserted into the blanks in his work, we wouldn't have come very far since his time, would we? We can't fill gaps with 'gawd dun it' and call it good. We even can't put god in there at all! If he was needed, it would be obvious. The universe from the Big Bang til now has needed zero interference.

The reason someone brought the FSM is to prove this very point. Try inserting the FSM where you would put god into an area that lacks understanding. Did the FSM direct the formation of the universe with his noodly appendage? Why not? Because there is no reason to believe so, and no way to prove it. Same deal with any creator. God may still be real to you, but there is a reason almost all scientists don't believe in god or any creator. There is simply no need, it gets in the way of science and research.

It would do you well to read up on logical fallacies... It's tough at first, the WT has indee us to the tricks they use in every issue of the WT and Awake. It won't feel like it, but soon you will automatically be able to spot a fallacy... They jump out of a conversation and poke you in the nose. Just give it some practice! TBH the 'reasoning book' is good for this.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Filling in the gaps with "god did it" ends inquiry. But unanswered questions are where magic resides. Because of untrammeled inquiry, we pursued Higg's Boson. Because of rampant questioning, we did not stop at E=MC 2 , but investigated the odds of Quantum Physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SWvDHvWXok

• KateWild
    KateWild

but there is nothing in the physical laws known to science that requires the active intervention of God to form the universe.-K99

I am afraid I disagree again. Yes there is, as another poster mentioned which impressed upon me....God had to use complex separating techniques in order for the correct balance of entantiomers to be formed in stero isomers for living things to form.

If you think I lack IQ to draw this conclusion thats okay with me. But I lack knowlege of how it could have happened by chance, not IQ.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

cofty and CO,

Wow! my hero Einstein didn't believe in God. You have proper got me there. Well done boys!!! I will have to check out some more of his work to confirm what you both say, but I have no reason to doubt it as yet.

Kate xx

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Kate, you're the only one who keeps talking about IQ. There are many smart people who are uninformed, and therefore believe things that are untrue. It sounds like your head is still filled with creationist garbage. The very statement "god had to do this or that" does nothing but hurt your argument.

Let me ask you: what if we did insert god into a gap in knowledge that was quite important. Millions of people will build their faith on this, and wave it in the Atheists' face as proof they are right.

Science is always progressing, always asking the tough questions and following them wherever they lead. Now what happens when the gap that we so readily inserted god into is understood? Not only would we get to pull god back out and replace him with KNOWLEDGE, but the faith of those millions will no longer have any basis.

Yet another reason why the non-theist view is the only one that really makes sense.

• KateWild
    KateWild

doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you - cofty

Why not?

• KateWild
    KateWild

does nothing but hurt your argument.-CO

I do not have an argument to present. I posed a question in the OP, why not fill in the gaps? Why is it so bad?

I fill in the gaps atm, but I am meditating about why I do this. I don't actually know why. This is the reason for the thread. I want to figure out why I am so intent on filling the gaps in with God. So gain others perspective of why they will not fill in the gaps with God, is a step into understanding more about me as well.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit