god-of-the-gaps. Should we or shouldn't we fiil in the gaps with God?

by KateWild 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stauros
    Stauros

20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though [a] every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

That link has a posting that seems to be incorrect or outdated.......

So what problem do you have with Genesis 8:21?

Estephan

• Stauros
    Stauros

Adamah, do you think with your heart or your mind? Thinking ability begins with the mind, however emotion can overrule your thinking ability. Emotion stems from the heart of course. Which is better to have, great thinking ability, or control over your emotions?

Estephan

• cofty
    cofty

Emotion stems from the heart of course

Eh?

Snare did you cover that in anatomy?

• Comatose
    Comatose

I'm no scientist, but emotion does NOT stem from the heart. Hello.

• Stauros
    Stauros

Snare&Racket,

All I know is what I know. I do not claim to know how an aeroplane is designed, because I did not design it. Man was created with the power to think, learn, and apply what he has learned. This is obvious by all that man has created. However, man has only touched on the surface off all that is in existence. Man has designed his own creations based upon what he has discovered already in existence. All of the elements that exist in the universe are interactive and are also repellant. You mix the wrongs elements together, and you might develop something that is very harmful, which has already been accomplished. The years upon the earth have been a learning experience for man. An intelligent being created a planet in which humans could survive. All with perfect accuracy. Any slip in design and we all perish. Simple logic tells us that a being way higher in intelligence designed it.......

Estephan

• Stauros
    Stauros

I'm no scientist, but emotion does NOT stem from the heart. Hello. [comatose]

LOL ! ! ! Oh yes it does. Where does it hurt when you see a women you love in the arms of another man? Duh.....

E.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Those are chemical reactions in your body. If I see a woman and my loins get happy does that mean joy comes from the crotch? lol

• Stauros
    Stauros

Those are chemical reactions in your body. If I see a woman and my loins get happy does that mean joy comes from the crotch? lol [comatose]

Well yea, at times it does. But hey let's stick to the topic :)

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Wow, i literally wrote this on the previous page An hour ago.....

"Likewise prologios.... Who on earth is making research a god? It is boooooooring paperwork, what are you saying man! It is a bizzare stance! It is like the bizzare idea that there is a heart and a mind in the inner self! Nooo there is a muscular pump, and there is a mind. no not even metophorically or illustratively does it come near reality... It is an idea born in ancient egypt, that the brain was literally inthe heart as emotions i.e. Cortisol and adrenaline increase heart rate, you feel it in the heart As it pumps harder, it is a flight or fight response. It ended up in jewish lore, therefore the bible, therefore your 2013 christian.... Just like making research ...a god :/ "

• adamah
    adamah

Stauros said-

Adamah, do you think with your heart or your mind? Thinking ability begins with the mind, however emotion can overrule your thinking ability. Emotion stems from the heart of course.

You're speaking Bible gibberish, since even Jesus spoke of the evil in men's hearts, or committing sin with a woman in one's heart (imagination stems from the mind, which is an emergent property of the BRAIN, AKA consciousness).

All emotions are KNOWN to result from specific regions of the brain, and NOT the heart, which is simply a PUMP for the circulation system, and is controlled BY the brain via the vagus nerve. You really don't know that?

Read the link to the article called "Aristotle on the brain" to learn why he, along with most everyone else at the time (besides Alcmaeon and those from the Hippocratic school), were wrong for believing the heart was the center of cognition (and blame the Egyptians, if you want; that's the root of the far-older ancient belief that the Hebrews relied on).

http://www.princeton.edu/~cggross/Neuroscientist_95-1.pdf

Fact remains, though, the Yahwist (who wrote Genesis 8) was perpetuating an ancient misbelief, even putting the words into Jehovah's mouth (!), that modern men now know is completely and utterly BS. Jesus, by 30 CE, had no excuse, other than living and dying in a backwaters region of Palestine where ignorance was the rule of the day.

Oh, on this-

Which is better to have, great thinking ability, or control over your emotions?

You're going to have to be clearer.

Are you prepetuating the long-disproven concept of the heart as the center of thinking, or the romantic model of the Middle Ages where the heart came to be seen as the center of emotions (which is what the OT claims the kidneys were, the seat of emotions, also long debunked)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit