The college newspaper article from 1989 that got me kicked, at last

by Suraj Khan 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Many months ago, I shared the experience of my removal from Jehovah's Witnesses. To quickly recap, I had faded from meetings as an unbaptized publisher starting at about age 14 and had later decided to attend college against the wishes of my family. As I liked to write stories, I sought a job at the college newspaper and became a columnist.

I brought some of my newspapers home during the winter break of my sophomore year, the one time I visited my parents during college. My older brother, who had aspirations within the congregation, asked for a copy of my work. This year, I discovered that he brought the paper to the attention of the elders, who summarily announced (after I had gone back for the spring semester) that I was no longer an approved associate.

Many of you have asked what I could have written which would have gotten me in so much trouble. I drove to my old school today and I can now answer that question. Here is my article from the autumn of 1989. Please forgive the rambling. I was both 19 and under a deadline.

_________

Religion and conflict: Is nothing sacred?

Belfast, Northern Ireland. For twenty years, the city has been occupied by British troops which have not come close to resolving the Catholic-Protestant conflict. Most think of it as a political mistake, but there is something deeper to it. To me, Belfast is yet another example of the decay of Christianity.

I've been thinking lately that Christianity and Marxism have a lot in common. I believe both are fundamentally good systems, but everyone who claims to practice them seems to have mangled the original premises beyond recognition. Marx envisioned a nation where the State would wither away. However, communist countries do not seem to be making an effort to fulfill the basic plan. Similarly, Jesus envisioned a world of brotherhood. Still, many self-professed Christians in Belfast lob stones, grenades or whatever else they can find at their Christian 'brothers' as others have done for centuries. It's strange how we can point fingers at the warring Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims. We've been just as crazy. If any religion cannot resolve its conflicts from without, there is certainly no peace within, and perhaps no value.

I know I couldn't follow Marx just by calling myself a Marxist. I could not follow the Christ by having a massive Bible on the coffee table with five years of dust on it like almost everyone else, or by sporting a T-shirt and a bumper sticker proclaiming, "I gave my life to JESUS!" Somehow, I imagine that a great many people are convinced that the name alone is enough.

Of course, the invocation of that name is what justified the destruction of countless foreign cultures (the Aztecs, Incas, Toltecs, etc.), what justified the Inquisition, and what justifies a great amount of bigotry even today. It seems so fruitless to conditionally love one's neighbor, so meaningless to veto the First Commandment so that a sect or religion might dominate another. For that is what Belfast represents: chaos, a parody of what morals and ideals are supposed to encourage. It is what confuses me about the value of organized religion -- so much seems political, so much seems to be irreconcilable.

I believe the morals of religion have definite value to humankind. Nevertheless, I believe just as strongly that the belief in a master religion is as dangerous and absurd as the belief in a master race. For if one believes that one's group is superior to another's, it implies that an individual can also be greater than another. With that, the principle of equality is impossible to sustain, and a society that attempts to establish equality by law cannot when religion and state are (by law) separate and independent.

A hopeless conflict? No, if and only if human nature is compatible with moderation and tolerance. To a large extent, it is. For example, Canada and the United States are not particularly prone to religious rioting even though there are large percentages of Protestants and Catholics in both nations. Here, perhaps, the emphasis on superiority lies within the worshipped and not the worshipper.

I do not believe religion to be "the opium of the people": I do not mean to single out Christianity as the only religion with sectarian strife, as that is obviously not the case. Nevertheless, a religion must be critical of and responsible for its actions as a whole. Anything less will assure it of imminent decay.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Here are the buzz-words that got you canned.

" It is what confuses me about the value of organized religion -- so much seems political, so much seems to be irreconcilable."

" that the belief in a master religion is as dangerous and absurd.."

" a religion must be critical of and responsible for its actions ."

You were way too smart for the Eldubs of your KH. They fear you, and you don't need them.

Peace,

DD

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

"It's a fair cop."

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Nice writing, the fact you're now "unapproved" because of this just proves exactly what you wrote- religious bigotry.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is sad that rather than be moved by the logic of the argument you provided, your brother acted exactly as your essay predicted, and had you vilified for your belief no longer aligning with his.

• zeb
    zeb

so your brother turned you in. Where is he in the scheme of things? The others here are right 100%. You think therefore you are dangerous.

You were also prophetic in the light of the abominations coming out since on child abuse.

Stay true to yourself SK you have done well.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your brother turned you in to the group you had not fully joined so they could mark you as unworthy of them, based on your independent thinking.

Yep, it's a dangerous mind-control cult. Good riddance.

• adamah
    adamah

I don't get it: your paper was talking about Protestants fighting Catholics, and you didn't even mention the JWs!

How silly.... You clearly were the black sheep of the family, foolishly seeking a college education (the JWs are notorious for their anti-intellectual bias, the whole, "the college boy thinks he's BETTER than us" nonsense that's fueled by green-eyed jealousy).

Nice writing, BTW: what you said back then rings just as true today.

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

First off - thank you all for your comments and support. The feelings are still raw, 25 years later. Especially since I have no family because of this one article.

Zeb - I understand my older brother was showered with favors and was recommended for Bethel, which he attended. I believe he is at least an elder now, but as I haven't spoken to him in 23 years, I'm not sure of this.

Adamah - I think Data-Dog has the right of it. Yes, it's ostensibly about Protestants and Catholics, but they had to see this sentence as a broadside: "I believe just as strongly that the belief in a master religion is as dangerous and absurd as the belief in a master race." And it probably was. I wouldn't change a word of that. The concept of one religion asserting they alone 'have the Truth' is as nauseating to me now as it was then, especially given the doctrinal spins and about-faces the Organization has made since these words were printed. And at no point has the WTBTS held itself accountable or admitted error! It is so, so far from being "critical of and responsible for its actions as a whole". And I wrote those words not even realizing the half of it.

Getting shunned was going to happen anyway. It was only a matter of time. But still...

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Suraj Khan, ((Hugs))

LoisLane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit