The college newspaper article from 1989 that got me kicked, at last

by Suraj Khan 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

With an article like that at only 19, I'm glad we've got you out here with us rather than locked up in that cult!

Isaac

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

It's sad how your brother used your essay to gain points with the elders. He could have just tried to talk to you about this. But, like many with "aspirations", he used his own flesh and blood to gain status.

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Have been having a textfest with my (in) little brother about this. Oddly enough he is presenting a talk two Sundays from now and had planned to reference the Troubles in Ireland.

He suggested writing the elders in my old congregation to get some closure. I would think any overture to the old congregation would be seen (wrongly) as an attempt to get reinstated. I want them to answer for what they did to me and my relationship with my family...but I don't want to open a dialogue which will likely be one-sided and I sure as hell don't want them knowing my address and trying to pry their way back into my family's business. The very last thing I want is two cheap suits at my door making sure the hanging is done right this time.

What do all of you think?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Witnesses will only play by their set of rules. It is not a neutral process. I don't believe one article stopped a family relationship. Rather, your writing and analysis indicates an academic. You probably never were born with a Witness temperament. I suspect quite the opposite. Also, your family members are responsible for their own actions. IMO. They could carve out exceptions.

Why would anyone who could write so cogently at such a young age want with the Witnesses? They will never apologize. Their world view is so constricted I believe they could not engage in a normal conversation. You must accept their authority or they will have nothing to do with you.

Living well is the best revenge. Hopefully.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Marked later reading

• adamah
    adamah

Yeah, what Band said....

It not YOU who needs closure, since you made your decision long ago to go your own way and you've grown beyond. So it would only be breath wasted, as trying to convince the unconvincable is merely adding to your carbon footprint (and reminiscent of Jesus' frustration of trying to get the blind to see what they cannot see).

Life's too short for such pointless efforts, unless you simply enjoy the challenge of tilting at windmills (and feel free to insert another metaphor for whatever fruitless and never-ending Sisyphean task you want, etc).

Adam

• Comatose
    Comatose

Suraj, sorry for what you've Been through. Crazy cult.

do I remember correctly from your other post that you never did get baptized? If not, then they couldn't have disfellowshipped you. Or I guess I should say they shouldn't have as it is impossible to do so to non witnesses. I bet you could pretty easily get them to admit that if you desired.

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Comatose, even my own family was confused about what they did with me. I was told I was DA'd, but after much debate on here some time ago we think the elders announced that I was 'no longer an approved associate'. It barely matters because the end result of both is still a shunnin'.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Closure? What does that mean, really? You said you don't want contact with them or to be reinstated.

If you want to tell them off or something, because it would help you...then go ahead and send them a letter. Then it will be one-sided, but in your favor.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They dropped the approved associate label many years ago. They cannot announce someone is no longer an approved associate. So, you can go back and they can treat you as if you never started. If you do that then I would say you have lost your mind!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit