The 1914 generation is still going strong 100 years later - 2014 study article.

by THE GLADIATOR 443 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Jehovah's Witnesses have not preached the Good News as understood by Jesus, his Apostles and Disciples in the first Century. Other groups come far closer to preaching the actual message, and preach just as extensively.

That "line of evidence" is simply no good Fisherman.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Nice quotes, Gladiator.

This a good one, " Therefore, in the final fulfilment of Jesus’ prophecy today, ‘this generation’ apparently refers to the people of the earth who see the sign of Christ’s presence but fail to mend their ways. Does our more precise viewpoint on ‘this Generation’ mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all! The Watchtower 1 November 1995 - pages 17-20"

So the GB were not wrong, they just found a more precise viewpoint which turned out to be less precise than the current teaching. LOL!! Saying that that the "generation" refers to those who see the sign, but fail to mend their ways, actually makes more sense than the current dogma. Had they stuck with that meaning, they could have still found a way to create a sense of urgency in the rank & file. I believe that the increasing in partakers along with other Corporate problems forced their hand. They HAD to consolidate power. The old understanding doesn't help in that way, but the nu-light does, even though it has created other problems. So they successfully put a band-aid on the problem, for now.

What will happen with the passage of time?

DD

• wasblind
    wasblind

What will happen with the passage of time ? ____DATA DOG

Fisherman will be " forced " to except more " Legal chess moves "

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Was, you stated your views the WTs stated theirs in their article discussed here. The Forum is about the WTS's, specifically the interlapper definition.

What I LEARNED in this Forum is that the interlappers were born much after 1914 and I am skeptical about such definition. I dont buy it. Now TD enlightened me with the GC definition which I never understood until now and now what I believed before about 1914 has changed. What TD says makes sense. I am really thinking about it and I want to hear more about it. I am still hanging on to 1914. BUT if the generation is dead there is nothing to hang on to. Any apologists out there? Scholar maybe? 1914 seems dead or dying right now.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

So everyone seems to agree. The definition stands for NOW. What a clever meaning. I cant stop laughing.

• TD
    TD
    What do you think is the move (change). How can GC be defined and keep 'this generation"

I'm not sure if the "Great crowd" teaching can be redefined very easily.

The length of a human life span is one of the building blocks in the idea that we've had a heavenly calling from Pentecost clear down until the proximity of a great tribulation and armageddon makes the identification of a class of prospective survivors possible. The instant that group is identified, the clock starts ticking.

Realistically though, I don't think this is a problem that will have to be dealt with anytime soon. This is one of those things I think an outsider looking in is more likely to notice.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Fisherman:

1914 seems dead or dying right now.

Regarding 1914 -

Many posts can be found on this forum (via the "Search" function) about the deficient chronolgy behind the calculation that arrives at 1914. You might want to try researching some of that as you get time.

In the Society's view 1914 marks the beginning of Jesus' Kingship and also the beginning of "the last days." As a consequence, it also marks (for the Society) the beginning of "this generation."

As you get time, you might want to check out these links too. They show what the Scriptures say as to when Jesus became king (here and here), what the parousia or "presence" refers to (here), and reference info regarding when God's Kingdom began its rule (here). (Based on the saying "the Kingdom of God/Heaven has drawn near.")

Here is an analysis of verses describing when the "last days" began according NT writers.

You're doing good to ask and analyze.

Take Care

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Bobcat thanks for the Links greatly appreciated. Of course, I will have to look at the info.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

TD said, " This is one of those things I think an outsider looking in is more likely to notice."

Sadly, that is pretty accurate. Some dubs might notice. What are they going to say about it? They believe that the Org is right, even when it's wrong. They just want to be a GC member, aka, one who walks through the GT and through the BIG A. They say, "Other dubs may fall prey to death like so many locusts, but not me. It can't happen to me because the END is coming in my lifetime!" In fact, the Leaders of the WTBTS teach that if you do not believe the END will come in YOUR lifetime, then you have fallen prey to Satanic propaganda and are spiritually weak.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit