The 1914 generation is still going strong 100 years later - 2014 study article.

by THE GLADIATOR 443 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Very hard to swallow. If that is the case then 1914 looses all significance and so does the first group. Now the focal point is the life span of the second group. I could be wrong. I have to give this more thought, but I dont buy it. Since the WTS has gone back and forth on this, they dont know.

THis definition is only temporay. But since the first group dies and goes to heaven in the twinkle of an eye, they also see the GT from heaven.

We were asked to believe something and we held it so dear and now that belief is a lie, false, error. Now we have to believe something else.

I still cannot believe that the generation that was alive in 1914 passed away.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Phizzy, Jesus allowed his followers to believe a lot of crazy things. He told them that he was going to return. They thought that he would but THEY DIED and remained dead for 2 thousand years and it was them that went to heaven not Jesus returning to them in the way that Jesus explained.. In the book of Rev Jesus says I am coming quickly. True time flies when you are sleeping but 2000 years is not quick.

• Splash
    Splash

Fisherman But since the first group dies and goes to heaven in the twinkle of an eye

Is this still what is taught?

I thought that the 'appointing of the slave over all the masters belongings' was changed from past (1919) to future (Great Trib), so now there is no resurrection to heaven in 1919 since the master has not arrived in that sense, and the FDS have not yet been inspected or declared 'Happy'.

Splash

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Splash

Unless you can show otherwise, AS far as I know, the dead annoined are in heaven, thus REV chapter 6 in support of the 2 groups.

Let's go back to Revelation 6 ... notice as we read 9 through 11 ... [reads]. So here, the Scriptures are describing two parts of the same group whose lives would overlap - those anointed already in heaven and those still here on the earth.

• blondie
    blondie

• The Watchtower (2007)
    • w07 1/1 pp. 25-30
    • “The First Resurrection”—Now Under Way!

18 God’s Word does not disclose a precise date for the first resurrection, but it does reveal that it occurs over a period of time, during Christ’s presence. The first to be resurrected are anointed Christians who died before Christ’s presence began. As Christ’s presence progresses, anointed Christians who faithfully finish their earthly course are changed “in the twinkling of an eye” into powerful spirit creatures. (1 Corinthians 15:52) Will all the anointed receive their heavenly reward before the war of Armageddon? We do not know. We do know, however, that in God’s due time, all the 144,000 will be found standing on the heavenly Mount Zion.

----Now they know...seven years later

Rejoice Over the Marriage of the Lamb! (‎2 occurrences) 12 As anointed Christians finish their earthly course during Christ’s presence, they are resurrected to heavenly life. ... 4:16, 17) Before the outbreak of the war of Armageddon , therefore, all members of the “bride” will be in heaven. w14 2/15 pp. 8-12 - The Watchtower—2014

-------------This seems to be a change because the WTS has taught that the anointed in heaven when Armageddon starts will fight by Jesus' side. I would recommend reading the whole article on www.jw.org

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Thank you Blondie.

As far back as I can remember, I always believed that as soon as an anointed dies he receives his reward. 07 article is surprising news and so is the 2014. I will read the article, but bottom line, according to present teaching, what happens to any "anointed " at death?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Taken from the book - Can Jehovah's Witnesses SURVIVE? by Trevor Willis (formatting not preserved)

Overlapping Generations

The Watchtower Society had always insisted that the 144,000 chosen to rule in heaven with Jesus as kings and priests were chosen by 1935, before the heavenly calling was closed. Yet, in 1995 they repeated this claim:

Logically, the calling of the little flock would draw to a close when the number was nearing completion, and the evidence is that the general gathering of these specially blessed ones ended in 1935. The Watchtower 15 February1995- page 19

This is important because one of the Society’s main teachings was that the end would come during the lifetime of the generation that was alive in 1914 and would include members of the 144,000 heavenly calling, also called, ‘the little flock.’ In 2007 this teaching was significantly altered:

Hence especially after 1966 it was believed that the heavenly calling ceased in 1935. Thereafter, any called to the heavenly hope were believed to be replacements for anointed Christians who had proved unfaithful. Thus it appears that we can not set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends. The Watchtower 1 May 2007- pages 30-31

That generation had now long since passed away and the Society had to paper over the gaps in their prediction. They issued many statements in an attempt to deflect the attention for their failed prophecies away from themselves and onto the membership:

Finally, we might consider what the Society has published in the past on chronology. Some opposers claim that Jehovah's Witnesses are false prophets. These opponents say that dates have been set, but nothing has happened. Again we ask, what is the motive of these critics? Are they encouraging wakefulness on the part of God's people, or are they, rather, trying to justify themselves for falling back into sleepy inactivity? The Watchtower 15 March - page 18

The Society were now saying that 1935 was no longer the cut off date for members of the 144,000. This change paved the way for their planned change in the meaning of a generation. In 2008 the Society continued to explain away more of this cornerstone belief. Until now they had taught that ‘this generation’ referred to wicked unbelieving Jews. They had carried this idea forward and given it a modern-day fulfilment, applying it to ‘the wicked ‘generation of unbelievers’ in our own time who would see the end of the system of things. They explained that the apostles would no doubt have understood that they and their fellow disciples were to be part of the generation that would not pass away until all these things occur. Referring to themselves as ‘the modern-day John class,’ they announced:

On the other hand, Christ's faithful anointed brothers, the modern-day John class, have recognized this sign as if it were a flash of lightning and have understood its true meaning. As a class, these anointed ones make up ‘the modern-day generation’ of contemporaries that will not pass away ‘until all these things occur.’ This suggests that some who are Christ's anointed brothers will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins. The Watchtower 15 February2008- pages 23-24

This generation no longer just referred to wicked unbelievers but to anointed believers. In the 2010 further changes were made under the heading, ‘Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose:

Third, holy spirit is at work in bringing Bible truths to light. (Prov. 4:18) This magazine has long been used by ’the faithful and discreet slave’ as the primary channel for dispensing increased light. (Matt. 24:45) For example, consider our understanding of those who make up ‘this generation’ mentioned by Jesus. (Read Matthew 24:32-34.) To what generation did Jesus refer? The article ‘Christ’s Presence— What Does It Mean to You?’ explained that Jesus was referring, not to the wicked, but to his disciples, who were soon to be anointed with holy spirit. Jesus’ anointed followers, both in the first century and in our day, would be the ones who would not only see the sign but also discern its meaning —that Jesus ‘is near at the doors. What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of ‘this generation,’ we do well to keep in mind several things about the word ‘generation’: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about ‘this generation’? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit. The Watchtower 2010 Apr 15 - page 10

The Society had introduced the idea of an ‘overlapping generations model.’ This is a concept in which if people’s lives overlap into the next generation's lives they can be considered to be one generation. It’s a bit like playing tag! They stated:

We do not know the exact length of ‘this generation,’ but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during the part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts! The Watchtower 15 June2010- page 5

The cornerstone teaching that had, for more than a hundred years, predicted the end of the present world within the lifetime of those who witnessed the 1914 world war, was now obsolete. The generation with the earthly hope had expected to live long enough to enter the new world and cheat death. Those belonging to the ‘little flock’ with a heavenly calling had been promised they would receive their reward within their lifetime. Beaten by the passage of time the Watchtower Society had been forced to move the date for the battle of Armageddon on - indefinitely. Now they were to be comforted by knowing that their younger anointed contemporaries, or the overlapping contemporaries that followed, would enjoy this privilege.

I have done my best to explain these changes clearly and as simply as possible, including as few quotes as possible to accurately show the change that has taken place. If you are confused, then you are not alone. Many members of the Watchtower Society are still trying to make sense of the new flash of light that has moved the goalpost even further away. Instead of Armageddon being ‘just around the corner’ it has been put on hold indefinitely. Rather than take responsibility for the lack of clarity that they as Jehovah’s channel of communication have failed to achieve, the Watchtower Society says that the membership must ‘wait patiently of Jehovah.’ This appears to be an attempt to shift the blame, as author of these for these failings, from themselves onto Jehovah. Are they saying that when Jehovah God is ready he will communicate more clearly? Until then all they can do is guess.

• Splash
    Splash

This was taken from the jw website when they first published the new FDS light.
    It explains why there could not have been a resurrection since 1914, but is future:

When Does Jesus Appoint the Slave “Over All His Belongings”?Jesus said that the “master on arriving” (literally, “having come”) will appoint the slave “over all his belongings.” When does the Master, Jesus, arrive?

The expression translated “on arriving” is a form of the Greek word er′kho·mai. Verses 42 and 44 of chapter 24 translate a form of er′kho·mai as “coming.” In those verses, Jesus is referring to his coming as Judge during the great tribulation.—Matthew 24:30; 25:31, 32.

Jesus’ appointment of the “slave” over his “belongings,” then, must also be a future event. He will make that appointment during the great tribulation.

What Are Jesus’ “Belongings”?Jesus said: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth.” (Matthew 28:18) Jesus’ “belongings” thus include more than just his earthly interests. They include the Messianic Kingdom.—Philippians 2:9-11.

Consequently, Jesus will reward “the faithful and discreet slave” by resurrecting the individual members of that group to heavenly life and by giving them royal authority over all Christ’s belongings in heaven and on earth. This is the same reward promised to all faithful anointed Christians.—Luke 22:28-30; Revelation 20:6.

So this reward is still future ("will reward").
    We used to be taught that some were already resurrected and communicating truths down to earth. Well that could only be done by the FDS, and the FDS don't get their reward until the Gt Trib. Future.

Also, they have not been appointed over all the masters possessions yet - that is future too, pending that they are deemed righteous and not wicked.

So if they have not even been judged righteous or wicked yet, how can they be rewarded with resurrection to heaven?

Splash

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Thanks for the info Glad,.

A lot of changes and that means "I dont know" I am trying to give this new definition a chance but I just don't buy it. I will go along with it but I dont believe it right now. I cannot let go of 1914. I still believe that the GT will happen within 10 years or less, That is what I believe.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Splash,

not necessarily. "will reward" can mean immdeiately after they die. Anyway, Blondie posted an article that shows that they are resurrected to heavely life. Read her post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit