Did Cedars manipulate Lee into having a thread closed?

by cedars 164 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

fizzywiglet: He's been at this 'take exxagerated offense, offend everyone else in the process by his resulting behaviour, then offer a fake apology to save face' game for the relatively short time that he's been here. When he first had the idea to operate a JW survey site, he was quite open about the costs that he was fronting and that he would be more than willing to accept donations to help fund what eventually would become his own website. Lady Lee of all people shut him down, locked his threads and referred the issue to Simon. Cedars couldn't wait and kept on opening threads about it, sheepishly droning on about how he was in 'negotiations' with site management for soliciting donations, and all this was going to cost money (hint hint, wink wink) and he had to fund it himself even though it had been his idea from the beginning. So LL just about had it with him and called him out on it in forum for continuing to solicit in violation of forum rules. Cedars then goes into attack mode against LL, telling her that she's a poor mod, how she's unfairly attacking him, and even hints that she might be a man. It goes back and forth until Cedars found that he had virtually no friends in going after LL like that and thus started what was his unique way of apologising. With that I mean he offers an apology and then immediately qualifies it by:

1. implying that he really doesn't owe anyone an apology, but will do so anyway

2. criticising the person he is apologising to for fighting him in the first place, claimed insults, or 'lapses of judgment'

3. making it clear that he too was offended and/or wronged and that he should be apologised to

Here's an actual cut-and-paste of what he said to LL:

I wholly and categorically apologize for trespassing item 6 of the Posting Guidelines by providing a PayPal address by which those who had expressed an interest in helping to fund my survey could do so. This was an extremely ill-advised action on my part. I have already apologized to Lady Lee and Simon for this, and will continue to apologize to anybody who feels personally affronted by my conduct in this matter. I also apologize for any similarly-inadvertent trespassing of item 11. This is a matter of sincere regret on my part.

I regret the comments that I made on this post about Lady Lee's work as a moderator. Despite any momentary lapse in her judgment regarding the scamming issue in not running her concerns past me first, she gives of her time voluntarily and makes a notable contribution towards making this forum a safer place for all concerned. Whilst some of her comments that were made were unfortunate and a cause of offence to me personally, I cannot excuse the way I reacted, and I also apologize for this whole-heartedly, and extend the hand of friendship to Lady Lee.

So he starts this thread with the stated aim of having Simon either ban him, lock the thread, or remove posts. He then logs the entire conversation so that he can whine to his little group of sycophants about how he stood up to the big bad Simon and how the 'house' always wins. Then when Simon doesn't give him what he wants, he goes on and on trying to get the last word in. I would normally just let this one sit as it is, but if the past is any indication, he'll be back and we'll see these obnoxious routines again. If Cedars didn't want people to talk about him, then the last thing he should have done was open up a thread about himself.

• Simon
    Simon

Wow, I forgot about all that!

Maybe I should just threaten to post his real name and address so he'll finally STFU and go away?

Hey, I can always make everything right by offering a sincere "Sorry ... I suppose, but not really" apology.

(expect outrage in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...)

Waves to Cedars (doesn't try too hard to hide that it's two fingers ...)

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Don't know why you don't just boot his ass off your forum. He needs this site more than the site needs someone like him, though a thread like this adds entertainment value I suppose.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Las Malvinas

I hope you and yours are doing great

• Simon
    Simon

Don't know why you don't just boot his ass off your forum. He needs this site more than the site needs someone like him, though a thread like this adds entertainment value I suppose.

Normally that is what I would have done in this sort of situation but he so obviously wanted and was desperately pushing for that because it was going to be his "proof" of being right and me needing to "silence him" so he could no doubt dump a pile of whacky claims at my door and swan off proclaiming how poorly he'd been treated.

I decided not to, partly to prevent this, and also because there was some benefit in him demonstrating to everyone exactly what sort of person he really is and of course removing any credibility to his claims.

Now if I delete him, no one can honestly claim I've been anything but patient with him.

Cedars desperately wants to be a leader and have followers but is possibly the least suitable person I've ever come acrosss to be in that role.

Lying, denying, throwing people under the bus, poor communication, stubborn, insulting, childish, obsessive, retaliatory - not a leader. Perfect qualifications to rise in the WTS ranks though. I think he mistakenly thinks position can be transferred when you leave - it can't, we don't have any !

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

hey?!

doesn't this prove the whole 'god allows evil to exist because...'

lol

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You have been patient, probably have more patience than I would have had ... or maybe you're just getting soft in your old age, as over the years i've seen you throw people off for less

• Simon
    Simon

or maybe you're just getting soft in your old age, as over the years i've seen you throw people off for less

Hey! Old? But yeah ...

I always try to be patient and contrary to some opinions, do not want to delete anyone off the site or take any delight in it. Which forum owner would? It really makes no sense and I don't want everyone to agree with me all the time (but like to have my say like anyone else does).

It's not always easy though and it's not always so publicly obvious why patience runs out but ultimately the well-being of the forum takes priority. It's not always about personal disagreements with me either - I've had to delete people who I happened to strongly agree with (politically) but who were aggressive and insulting to others and for whatever reason just could not keep to the rules.

Really, the forum should be a resource for all to use and enjoy using. No one should feel threatened or have to put up with being insulted. Some topics are of course more contentious that others and we're all guilty of saying things in the heat of a debate that may be further out than we really feel but normally we can get past things like that and move on.

It's always a shame when people can't. I honestly do think that it's something in the exJW psyche that they are still working out in their head but some people just flip and can't be reasoned with. Obsession takes over and it becomes about payback, revenge or whatever. Maybe the forum does becomes a substitute for the WTS and so I become the target for being the authority on it. Who knows, it's a nice theory if nothing else but I'm no shrink.

But about that age comment ... urge ... delete ... growing ... ... must ... .... resist ;)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Simon, you are not old, old is when you stop caring.

And I think you and Angharad and all the Mods do a wonderful job on here of keeping the whole thing as free as possible, whilst making it as pleasant as possible.

I see that Popular Science Magazine has dropped its "Comment" section from its website due to the problems encountered, with Trolls etc, but that just illustrates that it is not easy to keep a site such as this running at the high standard you do.

Keep up the good work, er... Young Man.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey! I'm old! And proud of it! Ageism. I call ageism!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit