Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

by Watchtower-Free 223 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Because christians gained to much power and that is always a threat to a status quo.

• cofty
    cofty

If I was god and I wanted to leave a written record of the life and sayings of god junior I am sure I would do a better job.

• tec
    tec

since it's kind of like the recent Global Climate Change issue: it's the consensus of experts in the field that ultimately matters

Are you being sarcastic?

(sincere question)

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Because christians gained to much power and that is always a threat to a status quo. - Designs

So are you saying that Rome invented Jesus, successfully kick-started a new peace-and-love, render unto Ceasar cult, but it was so successful Rome then started throwing them to the lions, but then later made it the official religion?

I'm confused.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The theories by Joseph Atwill have their problems. I don't think the timing is right. I think the "Gospels" were written far after the time they supposedly reflect. So I won't defend them and try to make them fit between persecuted Christians and state-supported Christianity. But, like Zeitgeist, there are some interesting points in these theories.

TEC, what did Jesus have to say on any of this?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I wonder why, if the Romans invented Christianity, they persecuted it so viciously?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Well remember this if it did happen, would not have been a plan by all of Rome. It was the Flaviuns supposedly. So they may have started it to try to quell the actual zealot uprisings, then had it grow more than they could ever imagine. The common people of Rome hated Christians. The ruling elite then could have said, screw it this religious movement has gone crazy, let them pick on Christians. It's all guesses, but I can pretty easily imagine how this could have played out.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, it's possible to make up any theory at all about Jesus, and it will sell books. There is a theory that 'Jesus' was a group, as there is a verse where he says "we" when he should have said "I". Most of the Gospels are a mess- the GoJ may have been re-written at least twice- and they are full of interpolations- so I doubt we will ever know the truth.

• jws
    jws

You gotta love it. A psuedo-scholar claims Jesus Christ was a fabricated character and all the atheists think they've hit the lottery. Just lookin for any excuse to tickle their own ears.

We who do not believe in it already know it was fabricated and don't need this. It would be wonderful if it was undeniable evidence, but it probably is circumstancial at best.

For me, it's the same thing as how Christians might view the Hindu or Muslim faith. Or even Mormonism.

Those "false" religions had to start somewhere right? And since you don't believe any of them is a true religion, it had some sort of false start. Maybe it was a fabrication - an engineered religion like scientology or Mormonism. Maybe it was a misunderstanding of superstitions or natural phenomena. Maybe a historical character became a legend, then a diety over time (much like I think could happen with, say, Elvis).

So those of us know the Bible wasn't divine know it had a false origin. I personally like to call it fan fiction. So we know there was deliberate deciet somewhere along the line. Maybe starting with tall tales. Maybe it was deliberately fabricated from the start. Who knows? Maybe people just wrote stuff for sale to sell to gullible early Christians to make a buck, claiming it was from Matthew or Mark or whoever.

And I'm not jumping on this guy's bandwagon. I don't know his evidence. And there have been forgeries on both sides. Regardless of who he claims fabricated it all, somebody did fabricate it all. This guy may or may not have found the culprit.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Sounds easier to imagine than to think that a plain old ordinary and non miraculous Jesus somehow attracted so many followers in real life.

I mean someone invented some of the stories and books written. So whether it was Romans or some mentally unbalanced people fifty years after he died, we know that many of the stories are later insertions, and all gospels seem to come from one original (Mark). I can just as easily see a ruling family trying to invent it as a ruling technique as I can see a guy named Paul being so taken by the crazy oral history of Jesus he has heard that he writes the first thing about Jesus and being blinded by him on a road trip.

I havent watched all the video, and I don't believe stuff just because three scholars write a book. But, I do keep an open mind and I can very easily think of easily plausible answers to the questions raised so far. I'm interested, that's all.

(edited- I didn't see your post jws until after I'd put in mine. Same thoughts.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit