BUM WITNESSES

by The Searcher 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

A governing body member used the word "BUM"???

I am so f*cking stumbled.

W

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

Sorry Spash - the term was used - just not in the context that was reported by the other notetaker. I have written out an exact transcription of the excerpt that was towards the end of the program. It was meant to bring some levity to the meeting, but he was a member of the GB and he did end up insiutating that "southern brothers" are guilty of this. Here's the quote:

After the distribution of the Bibles,this was the quote about "Bums":1 Cor 7:39 - In original NWT English (in death) is in brackets, the
    committee wanted to acknowledge we added these words.You will notice in your revised Bible, it has been established for decades there's no
    brackets, don't need them, but they did add in other translations, see it becomes a real problem because we want to convey the correct meaning
    because it involves our relaationship with the author of the Bible. So one American Bible - Union Version said this, translated this way: "But if
    her husband be fallen asleep, she is at liberty to marry whom she wishes". Because in the original Greek it was not in death, it did not say
    that. The Greeks didn't have a problem with this.Imagine a woman has a bad marriage this guy, you know what, every day is agony, and she reads
    the American Bible Union Version. Her husband has fallen asleep she's at liberty to be married to whom she wishes."The next time that BUM falls
    asleep, I'm gonna go marry someone who will take proper care of me. It's in the Bible." Steve says we have some southerners here - let me tell
    you I've heard such things down south, cause you know I'm an adopted southerner I love all of you, but you know what I'm talkin' about down
    there. Sorry Steve. (Much laughter)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting, but bears no relation to inactive Witnesses as bums, apparently.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Guys, can't you see that Stand is trolling? You shouldn't let him derail threads.

And yes, thank you, Fading Begins, this is what I've been trying to say on various threads when this "quote" comes up. Either someone wasn't paying attention very well when the joke was made (which got more laughter at my assembly hall than any other joke, even though it wasn't that funny -- possibly due to the friends' surprise at hearing a GB member say "bum"), or else the speaker was giving a general warning about bad association and the note-taker used that phrase in their own notes.

Pretty much a non-event, in other words.

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

Exactly - I'm not sure where that poster got that from, because it is for sure not in that part of the discourse.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

Fading begins is correct my wife and I both listened for the bum comment which losch did not make. Anthony Morris said it in the context provided.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

This guy did us a service with this blog. He didn't say it was a word for word translation. The watchtower article is damning enough about how we should judge even our brothers as to whether they are good enough to asssociate with. I thought Jehovah already made that call when he drew them to his one and only spirit directed organization? Aparently that is not good enough I now have to judge my brothers. Maybe I can have my friends fill out a form that lets me know how many hours they get a month and how much they put in the box? Maybe we should keep a public attendance roll on meetings so that I know who is a loser or not?

Stupid crap.

• Violia
    Violia

judging your brothers is not new. I recall this being said many years ago. Prior to 75 they began to beat the drums about this and then after the apostasy in the late 70's and 80's it was openly talked about. Anyone could "mark" anyone they cared to personally. The org became a much less loving place to be and many jws who had "issues" eventually became inactive and left due to lack of love among the brotherhood.

• caliber
    caliber

You're a bum.. nothing but a bum ... you hear ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCgp6JW8Ug

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In other words .....

The more intrinsically brainwashed by the WTS. through their indoctrination process and by their actions as a

sales representative for the organization, the more value is placed upon these ones.

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR ALL THOSE JWS BUMS OUT THERE !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit