BUM WITNESSES

by The Searcher 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Was the phrase "bum witnesses" actually used?

From the post above it seems more like a shortcut taken by the note taker. If the phrase was not used verbatim then could it be a reflection of the tone of the speaker.

I can readily accept that one of the GB, when paraphrasing the WT study for today (which is what was under consideration at the time), would use words that would strongly suggest that association with weak and critical ones is minimised.

Indeed, the notes above suggest the GB speaker went way beyond the content of the paragraphs themselves and was spouting the real feelings of the GB and what the would hope the R&F would take away with them. There was nothing explicit about marrying out of the lord in the study for example. It was intimated of course, but the counsel was about ensuring kids are brought up with the the "language" of the truth, indoctrinated from an early age. There was nothing about elders supporting the wedding of one marrying out the lord.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

With bum being included in quotations, I am inclined to think that is what was stated. I have the recordings but have not found the time or stomach to listen.

• steve2
    steve2

For some listeners, the phrase "bum witnesses" may not be at all insulting. In fact, it could be conveniently construed as a rather appealing instruction. Just saying....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its highly unlikely this kind of wording was used as derogatory pejorative.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

I used similar words or phrases in my public talks regularly. The intent is to caution more "zealous" JWs and to shame the "bums" into changing their ways and to start doing more, more, more. It's all about peer pressure and it is highly encouraged by the GB, DOs and COs.

• Splash
    Splash

I can confirm that the phrase 'bum witness' was NOT used.

Splash

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn't think so.

So what was used?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Thanks to all for the "CLARIFICATION"! ©

• Splash
    Splash

Unless that person misheard, I didn't even get a similar phrase.
    They repeated a few times that ANY family or friends not in the Truth are essentially a drain and a danger, so why spend time with them.

I didn't hear that same thought aimed at low-hour or 'weak' witnesses though.

Splash

• Splash
    Splash

What annoyed me was how they spent time pooh-poohing the KJV and the language used, only later to scoff at some of the old NWT, even commenting once "whatever that means" in a derogatory way after reading an old NWT verse.

I actually really like the KJV and find it a dignified translation. I don't think there are any Bible versions I'd use in isolation since many versions together can give an excellent feel for what was meant. The KJV 'may' not have had any anointed on the translation committee but they were extreme scholars, and the GB did once say that 'being anointed doesn't give you any extra insight above a non-anointed".

I'll use this new version in conjunction with others, as I've always done. Especially an interlinear. The app being released on Monday looks very useful.

It's a heavy bible, much more so than the last one, but that's due to all of the extra bits at the front and back. Seems well put together.

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit