Recording meeting

by Fading Begins 217 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I'm very curious about the new 'mini Reasoning Book' at the back of this Bible and whether there are any changes from the 'old' Reasoning Book?

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Are you looking at me Witness bum? Are you?

Cheeky little publisher.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"Calls everybody who might study a little Hebrew or Greek or Aramaic "not a translator"."

Yes, absolutely, and that includes everyone who worked on the NWT the first time around, and the second.

Unless they are going to provide us with the names of those who 'translated' the original NWT and those who worked on the second??

How about it, governing body?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

--To translate literally would be absurd. Speech must be easily understood. The literal Hebrew translations do not reflect the correct meaning.

Well, how then do we know what the 'correct meaning' is? In the past the WT has avoided this question for the most part. This is hermeneutics, thousands of books are written about it, actual scholarly ones. The WT has always said, one verse interprets another. Now they apparently saying, WE, the governing body, are able to say what the original human authors (okay, redactors) meant, even though we were not there, we don't talk at all about the culture and social situation of the writer and his times, etc, and all of the changes we make, coincidentally, align with our doctrinal and organizational policies.

--The original committee "added to gods word". But not in the bad sense. 1 Corinthians 7:39 In the original NWT "in death" is in brackets so people know we've added these words. In the revised bibles there are no brackets.

There is so much wrong with this, where do you start? If one reads and accepts the text, it calls curses on any who add to the text; the addition is the error. It makes no distinction between in a 'good' or 'bad' sense. The addition IS the error. The speaker is making excuses, and some in the audience will not be happy to hear that phrase.

And to top it off, now explanatory brackets are removed, so witnesses who quote these scriptures to those who really know the bible will get embarrassed over their ignorance.

--In the original text it did not literally say "in death" but said "fallen asleep", but the meaning is actually death.

Yes, obviously, but apparently Jehovah steered the committee in the wrong direction on this one during the first version.

--A translator must consider that the bible was written using the common everyday language of ordinary people. Not the educated.

--A minor point, but almost all of the people affected first by TNK and then around the time of Jesus were illiterate; they didn't own scrolls. Educated people were the ones who had them, not the ordinary people; this is a very misleading statement from the speaker. (I am sure the audience ate it up.)

--Clear, common, readily used expressions are better than "intelligencia". Jehovah's not impressed with big words.

--Yet more anti-education and anti-intellectual rhetoric from the GB's most well known recipient of free room and board, all paid for by intelligent and non-intelligent rank and file witnesses. The members of the governing body are intimidated by intelligence, and big words; it's ok to admit it, fellas.

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

That is why I believe it is a stupid move on their part.
    I echo your comment, Pistoff. This is 2013. This is the age of information, the age of transparency.
    Putting out a new bible opens the door to questioning the authority and qualification of the translation committee.
    And this is the core of their belief system. Their golden calf.

I don't expect that questionning from within the congregations, but from outside.
    Their: Well-it-says-so-in-the-bible argument, will only be met by ours: Maybe-in-your-bible.
    It furthers drives them apart from the rest of christianity and the world in general.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

OMJ...The R&F are gaga over this grey book. People in the audience were crying like little babies. One person commented,"The governing body are so funny, I can't believe how real they are. Makes me feel so close to them and jehovah". Who really is their God? This is exactly what the old men in new york want, for the R&F to be super excited and full of "love" for the organization after recieving this book. It's like a child getting their favorite toy for Christmas, they love it for awhile, then it becomes old news.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do hope this new version gets a number of scholarly reviews.

I doubt it though, it is hardly of interest to serious students of the Bible, just a rehash of their previous travesty that they had the gall to call a "Translation".

As the old saying goes "You can't polish a Turd."

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

@ WHAT IS TRUTH

nice to see you back friend.... its been a while ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit