by evangelist 178 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• evangelist
    evangelist

Author Topic: God is Jesus Read 1373 times Be the 1st to rate this thread

Imbue

Master Member
    Since: Feb 23, 2002

Advertisement

What You Need to Know About Jehovah's Witness (Conversations With the Cults)
    MacGregor, Lorri
    $6.99 Re: God is Jesus May 5, 2002 13:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LT equal is subjective. No substance is truly equal. Numbers are abstract but substances are not. Take gold for instance, the same weight of gold is only considered equal by those that are considering it equal. They assess the quality and then THEY CONSIDER it equal. However it is not equal because it cannot TRULY be the same exact quality and amount. The consideration is subjective therefore not absolute truth.

"Not part of the inner circle class"-Larc

LittleToe

Master Member

United Kingdom
    Since: Sep 12, 2001 Re: God is Jesus May 6, 2002 15:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Shorter Catechism, of the Westminster Confession of Faith declares that they are the same in substance, equal in power and glory.
    I think we are taking about the same type of substance, not equality of quantity and purity.

evangelist

Germany
    Since: Apr 8, 2002 Re: God is Jesus May 6, 2002 17:12

Earnest

Thank you for the information on Liardon which I didn`t know he repented of this act. I know every pastor or evangelist is still human and can commit real bad sexual sins which we love to judge and find the false more instead of finding all the good.
    I know Jimmy Swagger won millions of sinners to Jesus, and when somebody found out his false christian life he lost his respect.
    But after 7 years of hideing his sins why didn`t God stop all though people coming to his kingdom and left Jimmy with a powerful ministry?
    I see by this that it not God that destroys a ministry but people that are looking for false things and can`t wait to judge and show their own pride that they are better or perfect.
    I still take the Word of God like it is and I know the Word of God is the living Word and it belong to us with power and wounders.
    Ac:1:8: But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Earnest

United Kingdom
    Since: Aug 22, 2001 Re: God is Jesus May 6, 2002 19:51

evangelist,
    In your previous post you asked the question "who is deceived".

When I presented evidence that the congregants of the Embassy Christian Centre and the students at Spirit Life Bible College, both headed by Roberts Liardon, had been deceived by him you suggest I am at fault "looking for false things and can`t wait to judge and show my own pride that I am better or perfect".

I assure you I was not looking for false things. I was interested in the source of your reference to Smith Wigglesworth who raised "more than 16 people from the dead". Frankly, I did expect to find some evidence of exaggeration and was not disappointed. Did you know that he [Liardon] also wrote a book We Saw Heaven and claims he was transported to heaven and there met Jesus face to face and that he and Jesus had a water fight in the River of Life? And he saw a building up there full of unclaimed body parts because, it seems, the Smith Wigglesworths of our time are not replacing parts fast enough.

But the so-called "false things" I came across are just the tip of the iceberg. Does it not occur to you that there is some reason "one-quarter of Embassy members, as well as Bible college students and missionaries, have left the church since Liardon's admission". Do you really think Jimmy Swaggart is an endorsement for this kind of behaviour??? I am reminded of the scripture "God is not one to be mocked..."

Earnest

"Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Rev. Charles Dodgson

evangelist

Germany
    Since: Apr 8, 2002 Re: God is Jesus May 7, 2002 04:36

i am sorry That I thought you was trying to judge, but I see alot of christian try to do this because they have more lies and problems than the ones they judge and talk about. one again i thank you for the report you gave me and I am shocked myself about Liadon but my interest is on Smith wiggle worth who worked in many manifestaion of the power of God. I know he done funny thinks like throw a baby on the wall and it became perfectly healthy, but I think God worked by Wiggleworth by his faith and understanding because I think Wigglewoth had a child like thinking and this is apreciated by God, and I know he had a heart toward God and a deep relatioship with God living in God presence.
    God Bless you

peace

Earnest

United Kingdom
    Since: Aug 22, 2001 Re: God is Jesus May 7, 2002 23:20

evangelist,
    Hmmm...well, don't put too much stock on these "powerful works". I am sure you are familiar with Jesus' words at Matthew 7:22,23 that he will reject many who performed powerful works in his name. That is not to say that miracles are not relevant but that they can only be supplementary to doing God's will if they are to be pleasing to him.

So, if we are going to rely on "men of God that work in the power of God like Smith Wigglesworth" we do need to look beyond their works to what they actually believed. Fortunately, SW wrote a number of books and so we have a pretty good idea what he believed and taught.

He believed that all sickness was from the devil and everyone could be healed. Consequently, he taught that miraculous healing and exorcism should be practiced instead of medicine.

However, despite the claims made for him he was unable to help many who were close to him -

Mary Boddy, the woman who laid hands on Wigglesworth in 1907 when he was 'baptized in the Spirit', spent the last sixteen years of her life as an invalid.

His wife, Polly, became sick and died in 1913 while still quite young.

His youngest son, George, died two years later.

His daughter, Alice Salter, frequently traveled with him after his wife's death. Alice was deaf and was never healed.

Smith also had his share of disease including kidney stones, sciatica and a slight stroke (in 1944).

I am not relating this to mock the man. But I do think that others, like Roberts Liardon, have claimed more for him than he did himself and hope that presenting these facts will encourage you to rely more on scripture and avoid the snare of personalities.

Earnest

"Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Rev. Charles Dodgson

Edited by - Earnest on 8 May 2002 13:56:13

Imbue

Master Member
    Since: Feb 23, 2002 Re: God is Jesus May 7, 2002 23:35

Little Toe you know I'm just ....teasing you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not part of the inner circle class"-Larc

LittleToe

Master Member

United Kingdom
    Since: Sep 12, 2001 Re: God is Jesus May 9, 2002 04:55

Imbue:
    Oh you tease, you!!!!
    LOL

evangelist

Germany
    Since: Apr 8, 2002 Re: God is Jesus May 13, 2002 05:05

hello Earnest

I know this matt7 is a favorite verse for the JHW, mainly because they have no powers of the Lord behind them. The bible says;
    Ac:1:8: But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

I believe that Smith Wigglesworth had this power, and believed the Word of God as his final Word, so He believed not only he is a son, but also I believe he knew that he was an disciple, and high priest of God, so Wiggleworth just used the authority that was given to him like M't:10:1: And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

M't:10:7: And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
    M't:10:8: Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

I know sickness is from the devil, and if Wiggleworth heal the sick with the power of Jesus, and cast out demons, and raised the dead this was a attack against the devil, and many people turned and believed the Lord even more, and people repented and got saved by the thousands in Wiggleworth meeting so Wiggleworth was really showing that Jesus was in him and worked through him.
    M't:12:25: And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
    M't:12:26: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
    M't:12:27: And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
    M't:12:28: But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

I beleieve that Wiggleworth had a strong faith to remove mountain like M'r:11:22: And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
    M'r:11:23: For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
    M'r:11:24: Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
    M'r:11:25: And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

I don`t know why Wiggleworth could not heal his own family, but maybe his faith fell looking at his own family like peter looking at his situation when he was walking on the water.
    Peter took his eyes off of Jesus, and he started to sink, so could this be by WiggleWorth.
    I know also many people followed Jesus because of the powers on him and the way he cast out demons, and raised the dead destroying satan kingdom and thousands have followed HIM because of his signs and wounders, praise God.
    Benny Hinn is another anointed pastor that has the power of God on him, and Just as people talked bad about Jesus, so will men try to talk bad about people with true powers of God on them using scriptures like Matt 7, to back up themself because there is no anointing on their life, and no signs that Jesus is in them so most people judge and say this is from the devil.
    I hope you get my point.
    Most people who don`t believe that Jesus is God have a great problem believing the power of God on other anointed men of God, and they call them phonies and fakes of the gospel ,not knowing that the Holy Spirit is behind the miricles, and wounder.
    M'r:16:17: And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    funkyderek

M'r:16:18: They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This is a statement made not by Wiggleworth, but it is from Jesus Christ HIMSELF saying this will happen and shall happen, people will recover, by laying on of hands.

I see no doctors mention, even though I respect doctors, but my faith and I think Wiggleworth faith is in Jesus.

You are right that Wiggleworth did not do any cureing, It was Jesus,that was in Smith that did the healing.
    remember jesus is the same yesterday today and FOREVER, AMEN

Let God Bless you
    peace

• evangelist
    evangelist

funkyderek

M'r:16:18: They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This is a statement made not by Wiggleworth, but it is from Jesus Christ HIMSELF saying this will happen and shall happen, people will recover, by laying on of hands.

I see no doctors mention, even though I respect doctors, but my faith and I think Wiggleworth faith is in Jesus.

You are right that Wiggleworth did not do any cureing, It was Jesus,that was in Smith that did the healing.
    remember jesus is the same yesterday today and FOREVER, AMEN

Let God Bless you
    peace

• cellomould
    cellomould

Michael Jackson is Latoya!

Elmer Fudd is Porky Pigg!

and....

<drum roll>

George Bush Sr. is George W. Bush!!!!

cellomould

"You're crying 'why am I the victim?' when the culprit is YOU" Stevie Wonder

• Earnest
    Earnest

evangelist,

You said:

Just as people talked bad about Jesus, so will men try to talk bad about people with true powers of God on them using scriptures like Matt 7, to back up themself because there is no anointing on their life, and no signs that Jesus is in them so most people judge and say this is from the devil.
    I hope you get my point.
    It would appear that your point is that there is no evidence of Jesus in my life because I suggested that we "need to look beyond their works to what [healers] actually believed" and encouraged you to rely on scripture rather than personalities.

That may be. But I would point out that I did not suggest that his works were from the devil. As it happens, I think the devil is given far too much credit for healings, glossolalia and the like. I believe the cause is far more natural in most cases and has to do with the power of faith although it does have elements of mass hysteria when it occurs on a large scale.

But the relevance of Smith Wigglesworth to this thread is, you imply, that his beliefs (that God is Jesus) should be given credence because of SW's powerful works. I am simply saying that those powerful works don't, in themselves, establish the truth of his beliefs. I would agree I have some doubt whether he did do everything claimed for him. I find it astounding that no-one seems to know just how many people he resurrected. Some say 12, you say more than 16, another says 20. Were there just so many that he lost count? But whether he did these things or not is no evidence that what he believed was true. Believe he raised the dead if you wish. But base your reason for faith on scripture, not on personality.

And don't go taking up any serpents or having poison as a nightcap just yet. The last twelve verses of Mark chapter 16 (vss 9-20) are absent from the two oldest Greek manuscripts (Sinaiticus & Alexandrinus), from the Old Latin codex Bobiensis, the Sinaitic Syriac manucript, and the two oldest Georgian manuscripts. In other words, they weren't written by Mark. See A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (UBS,1971,p.122-128) for additional information.

Earnest

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Well, if some guy who's been dead for two thousand years allegedly made that claim in a dubious addendum to a book written over a century after his death, well that's good enough for me. I'm off to play with snakes. [8>]

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• evangelist
    evangelist

And don't go taking up any serpents or having poison as a nightcap just yet. The last twelve verses of Mark chapter 16 (vss 9-20) are absent from the two oldest Greek manuscripts (Sinaiticus & Alexandrinus), from the Old Latin codex Bobiensis, the Sinaitic Syriac manucript, and the two oldest Georgian manuscripts. In other words, they weren't written by Mark. See A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (UBS,1971,p.122-128) for additional information.

Quote by evangelist
    I heard this before when I was argueing with the JHW , and they said this should be cut out of the living bible ,even though the bible says:2Tm:3:16: (All scripture )is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    2Tm:3:17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

also I am afraid to cut and add to the Word of God, because I don`t want to be cursed.Re:22:18: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    Re:22:19: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Let God bless you

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I heard this before when I was argueing with the JHW , and they said this should be cut out of the living bible ,even though the bible says:2Tm:3:16: (All scripture )is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

But the book of Mark was written decades after 2 Timothy. Surely neither Paul nor his audience would have considered it scripture. Or does it mean that anything ever written, past or future, true or false, is to be consdidered scripture?

also I am afraid to cut and add to the Word of God, because I don`t want to be cursed
    Fortunately such curses - like much else in the bible - are only imaginary.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• Earnest
    Earnest

evangelist,

It clearly is a serious thing to remove any part of the message God inspired for us. Or to add to it. Or to change it. But when we say this just what message are we referring to? Are we referring to what Mark himself wrote in Greek? Or are we referring to the Latin translation by Jerome called the Vulgate which was the accepted Bible for about a thousand years. Or are we referring to the English translation of 1611 authorised by King James? Or some other translation? I think you will agree that if we find the English translation has additional material to the earliest Greek copies we would share in the blame if we left it there. Removing it would not be cutting out scripture but cutting out words that others had previously added.

Now let's consider the textual evidence for Mark 16:9-20. The book I referred to in my earlier post, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, was edited by Bruce Metzger on behalf of and in cooperation with the Editorial Committee of the United Bible Societies' Greek New Testament (Kurt Aland, Matthew Black, Carlo Martini, Bruce Metzger and Allen Wikgren). I assure you these men have impeccable credentials as textual scholars.

In addition to the fact that these verses are absent from the two oldest Greek manuscripts (Sinaiticus & Alexandrinus), the Sinaitic Syriac (of the second/third century), the Old Latin ms k (of the fourth/fifth century), and the earliest Georgian manuscripts...a considerable number of manuscripts that do have this passage have scribal notes stating that older Greek copies lack it, and in other witnesses the passage is marked with asterisks to indicate a spurious addition to a document.

Internal evidence also throws doubt on the originality of these additional verses:

The vocabulary and style are not Markan. The words "does not believe", "hurt", "backed up", "accompanying", "seen", "with", "these", "go", "working with" and "later" are found nowhere else in Mark. And the word "deadly" and expression "those who had been with him", as designations of the disciples, occurs only here in the New Testament.

Further, consider the connection between verse 8 and verses 9-20. The subject of verse 8 is the women, whereas Jesus is the presumed subject in verse 9. In verse 9 Mary Magdalene is identified even though she has been mentioned only a few verses before (15:47 and 16:1). The other women are now forgotten. The use of "After he rose" and the position of "first" (in "appeared first to Mary") are appropriate at the beginning of a narrative, but ill-suited in a continuation of verses 1-8.

The Committee concludes:

"In short, all these features indicate that the section was added by someone who knew a form of Mark that ended abruptly with verse 8 and who wished to supply a more appropriate conclusion. In view of the inconsistencies between verses 1-8 and 9-20, it is unlikely that the long ending was composed ad hoc to fill up an obvious gap; it is more likely that the section was excerpted from another document, dating perhaps from the first half of the second century."
    Why is the ending so abrupt? Metzger suggests that three possibilities are open: (a) Mark intended to close his Gospel at this place; or (b) the Gospel was never finished; or, as seems most probable, (c) the Gospel accidentally lost its last leaf before it was multiplied by transcription.

So to put things very simply, it is clear that the earliest readers of the gospel of Mark in Greek, or of the Syriac, Latin and Georgian translations would consider anything beyond verse 8 as "adding to the Word". There are good reasons to believe they would be right.

Which is a bit disappointing. Because in most instances of fraudulent "powerful works" it is the crippled and sick and blind who are desolated when it turns out the healing is simply an illusion. But show me the preacher who will drink the poison I provide and then there will be something to believe!

Earnest

• evangelist
    evangelist

funkeyderek

you said:But the book of Mark was written decades after 2 Timothy. Surely neither Paul nor his audience would have considered it scripture. Or does it mean that anything ever written, past or future, true or false, is to be consdidered scripture?

Quote c.moore
    wasn`t 2 Tim written inĀ“AD 67 ????

and was Mark written in AD 29-33 ??????

I thought only the book from the catholic bible was not Holy scriptures.

God bless

• evangelist
    evangelist

Earnest

How do you know this is true, what a man says about Mark???

Isn`t God strong enough to hold His words togther ???

I don`t believe the bible is like the Koran with missing parts, and added parts.

peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit