God is Jesus

by evangelist 178 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest

Will Power,

You said:

Now if I understand your bit, the NWT who has chosen to substitute Lord for Jehovah when it is supported by later 1599 Hebrew translations instead of using the ones from 300-400 manuscripts which clearly use Lord.
    No, you do not undertand "my bit". The NWT does not choose to substitute Lord with Jehovah because it is supported by Hebrew translations. It does so "where the inspired Christian writers have quoted verses, passages and expressions from the Hebrew Scriptures and...the divine name appears [in the Hebrew text]" as I explained in my previous post. Whether or not it is supported by Hebrew translations is irrelevant to the principles applied to translation of the NWT.
    My point is if they had followed their reliable newer Hebrew translations that rightfully replaced the Greek for Lord with the word jehovah, the word jehovah would & should have been placed at 1 Thess 4:16.
    Why should they follow Hebrew translations? On what grounds do you claim that 'Lord' should be replaced with the tetragrammaton at 1 Thess 4:16? Unless you can demonstrate that this verse is quoting from the Hebrew Scriptures where the divine name appears, and that the context of the quotation applies to God, there is no basis for the substitution that you endorse.
    That is what I call bad translation. Pick & Choose & Change to suit.
    You may call it what you like but the translators have expressly stated their grounds for using 'Jehovah' in the NT and apply those 'rules' consistently.
    they say that this Lord means both Jehovah & Jesus, you choose for yourself, but if you don't choose our way you will need "adjustment".
    If you mean that 'Lord' in this verse is understood by some to refer to Jehovah and by others to refer to Jesus then that is manifestly true. 'Lord' does not mean Jehovah or Jesus, it is just a title. You need to determine from the context to whom it applies. I would be interested to know your reasons for believing so strongly that it applies to Jehovah in this verse.

Earnest

• Will Power
    Will Power

First off Earnest et al, I am NOT trying to convince you of anything, I am merely pointing out a few facts that you may/may not be unaware of.
    prologue of one study of the divine name.

The question is did the original inspired Christian writers use the Tetragrammaton in 237 instances while writing the Christian Greek Scriptures? The answer will have momentous consequences on your life as a JW and when talking with publishers, elders, they believe that their faith is unaffected by the inspired Christian writers' use - or lack of use of the YHWH in the original Greek manuscripts. Their perception of the importance of YHWH in the Christian Scripture text is profoundly inadequate!
    Example: if the apostle John used the YHWH at Revelation 11:17, We thank you Jehovah God, the Almight...(NWT)
    On the other hand if John did not use the YHWH then he wrote,
    We are giving thanks to you Lord the God the Almighty...(KIT)

This is but one example where o oeos, ho theos is used with Lord.
    The one addressed in this verse is clearly "God...the Almighty." Did John write this of Jehovah (YHWH), or did he write it of the Lord (Kyrios)?
    The answer to this question is NOT found in theology. Nor is it found in personal conviction or even loyalty to an organization. The answer is found through a careful examination of the ancient Greek manuscripts of the Christian Scriptures.

Earn said:

It does so "where the inspired Christian writers have quoted verses, passages and expressions from the Hebrew Scriptures and...the divine name appears [in the Hebrew text]" as I explained in my previous post. Whether or not it is supported by Hebrew translations is irrelevant to the principles applied to translation of the NWT.
    That is not the principle the WT applies.
    There are 237 places where the word Jehovah is used in the New Testament of the NWT.
    112 of the 237 have a Hebrew Scripture quotation using the divine name or Hebrew Scripture quotation referring to the divine name.
    64 instances have no quotation or reference but have parallel thought.
    61 have no quotation, reference or parallel thought
    These 61 verses are what the WT & NWT use to strip Jesus Christ of his godly attributes, parallels, identifications, etc. If a person all his life has only read these passages with the name jehovah inserted, their understanding of what the Holy Bible actually says in these verses, chapters, books, written by the Apostles, supposedly protected by God is severly biased. When the apostles wrote Lord, and if they were inspired they meant Lord.

If you are interested, try reading the chapters & verses without the word Jehovah, just Lord like it was originally written. (see below for specific references)
    Earn:

I would be interested to know your reasons for believing so strongly that it applies to Jehovah in this verse.
    The WT themselves call this Lord by footnote Jehovah. Please look it up. CDRom Who is like Michael Footnote #16 1 Thess 4:16. Check all references for this verse as it is used in several WT articles! There are other verses that do the same.
    Personally, I think that when they decided that they needed their own bible to re-inforce their interpretations, the members actually equipped for such a task were somewhat lacking, (A few knew some words) so they mostly copied other versions being careful to side with their particular doctrines where ever they came up. (KIT is perfect example of how side bar doesn't match the word for word.) Of course there is no way you can get every "conflict" the first time and since their light kept getting brighter, darker, brighter, darker, with each new edition, more and more inconsistancies were "caught", & fixed. Soon, with people like me complaining they should soon have the last of them fixed, then they will only have to contend with their new lights.

Okay, here is the list of the 61 instances where NWT has replaced Lord with Jehovah without any backup whatsoever, only interpretation.
    (Lord = Kyrios - with its 5 spelling variations - noun must agree with its function by way of the suffix)

MatthewUnless otherwise noted all are from Manuscripts dating 301-400 Supporting Lord, or God
    1:20 1:24 2:13 2:19 28:2

Luke
    1:11 1:15 1:58 1:66 1:68 2:9 2:9 2:22 2:26 2:39 5:17

Acts
    1:24 2:47 3:19 7:60 8:25 8:26 10:33 11:21 12:17
    12:24 13:2 13:10 13:11 13:12
    13:44 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where early 301-400m. exist. WT cites a version from 1877 for the change
    13:49 14:3 14:23 15:35 15:36 15:40 16:14 16:15
    16:32 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where even earlier 201-300m. exist. WT cites a version from 1599 for the change
    18:21 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where early 301-400m. exist. WT cites a version from 1877 for the change
    18:25 19:20 21:14

Romans
    12:11 14:6 14:8 (read this one with Phil 2:10)

1 Corinthians
    4:19 16:7 16:10

2 Corinthians suggest start Chapter 3 & 4 they didn't change 3:14, 4:4 or 4:5 but did for following
    3:16 3:18(2nd one) 8:21

Ephesians
    5:17 6:7

Colossians
    3:24

1 Thessalonians
    4:15, however only 1 of the 2 "Lords" in this verse have been changed even tho the greek is exactly the same for both words, yr 301 supports for Lord for both, WT cites 1599 version for changing only one. Could that be to match up the 1 with God and the other with an angel? at 4:16. Then they *footnote the Lord in 4:16 & call this Lord Jehovah.

2 Thessalonians
    2:13

James
    1:7 1:12(the word he is substituted) 5:14

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, (KIT)1969 & 1985 editions. This is the single most useful source of information for a Tetragrammaton study. The footnotes are an unsurpassed source for textual dating of both the Greed word Kupios and the Hebrew versions using the YHWH. The 1969 Edition gives more complete info for both the early Gr. and J1 - J21 than the 1985 ed. However, the 1985 ed. adds newly researched info for J22-J27 and certain early Gf man. such as P45, 46, 47, 66, 74, 75 (P stands for papyrus) for a complete study you should use both Editions.

NWT reference Ed. 1984. Read pg 6 regarding the translation philosophy as it concerns the restoration of the divine name. Some "J" footnote material is found which is not included in the KIT. though the reader is not given either the J or Gr. Manuscript info contained with the KIT footnotes. App. 1A-D and 3A should also be consulted.

Will

• Earnest
    Earnest

Will Power,

You may not be trying to convince me of anything but you consistently ignore the answers to your questions. Let's try again:

You said:

The one addressed in this verse [Revelation 11:17] is clearly "God...the Almighty." Did John write this of Jehovah (YHWH), or did he write it of the Lord (Kyrios)?
    This question implies an ignorance that Lord (Kyrios) does not only refer to Jesus Christ. Rev. 7:13,14 refers to one of the elders seen by John in vision as 'Lord'; Acts 16:16,19,30 refer to men as 'Lords'; and two verses previous (Rev. 11:15) John refers to Jehovah as 'Lord' where he writes :"The kingdom of the world did become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ...". Clearly, whether you use 'Jehovah' or 'Lord' in verse 17 you are referring to God, the Almighty, not to his Christ. So why does the NWT substitute kyrios with 'Jehovah' in this verse? The expression 'Jehovah God' occurs hundreds of times in the Hebrew Scriptures which are the grounds for believing it was also used in the NT. 'Lord God' is never used in the OT. Most people are familiar with the expression 'Lord God' only because the English translations they use have replaced 'Jehovah' with 'Lord' where the phrase occurs in the OT.
    That is not the principle the WT applies...61 [verses] have no quotation, reference or parallel thought. These 61 verses are what the WT & NWT use to strip Jesus Christ of his godly attributes, parallels, identifications, etc.
    That's easy to say. As one of the principles for substitution is that the passage containing kyrios (the Greek word for 'Lord') applies to God rather than Jesus the onus is on you to demonstrate that any of these passages clearly refer to Jesus. The question to ask yourself is when the expression used by the NT writers is also used in the Hebrew Scriptures, do the Hebrew Scriptures use 'Jehovah'. An example is the references you supply from Matthew which all refer to the angel of Jehovah. The expression 'Jehovah's angel' occurs 35 times in the Hebrew Scriptures and 'angel of Jehovah' 12 times. 'Lord’s angel' is never used. As Matthew first wrote his gospel in Hebrew for Hebrews this common OT expression (Jehovah’s angel) is almost certainly what he used.

Let’s also consider those verses which you have particularly commented on:

Acts 13:44 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where early 301-400m. exist. WT cites a version from 1877 for the change
    The expression here used is 'the word of God' and is translated in NWT as 'the word of Jehovah'.

The footnote shows that the original copier of the codex Vaticanus 1209 (Greek, fourth century) as well as the codex Ephraemi rescriptus (Greek, fifth century), the Curetonian Syriac (fifth century) and the Syriac Peshitta all use the Greek/Syriac equivalent of God.

The corrector of codex Vaticanus 1209 as well as the codex Sinaiticus (Greek, fourth century), codex Alexandrinus (Greek, fifth century) and papyrus Bodmer 17 (Greek, seventh century) use the Greek equivalent of Lord.

Hebrew translations by Franz Delitzsch and United Bible Societies substitute the tetragrammaton in this verse.

The expression 'word of Jehovah' occurs almost 200 times in the Hebrew Scriptures which certainly qualifies it as a parallel thought in the OT.

But what is particularly significant about this verse is the variation of the Greek textual support. A principle of textual criticism is to determine why and how variants occur. Now in this and other instances there is ancient textual evidence for both 'word of God' and 'word of the Lord'. Bruce Metzger commented on this peculiarity in his book A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, (UBS,1971,p.401):

The latter reading [the word of the Lord] reflects the Christianization of the traditional expression…The two expressions occur 32 times in the manuscripts of Acts. In nine of these passages the manuscript tradition shows no appreciable variation.
    So of the 32 times these expressions occur in Acts, 23 show appreciable variation i.e. there is textual support for both readings. Metzger attributes this variation to Christianization of the traditional expression [word of God]. What does he mean? He means that Luke probably wrote 'word of God' in all instances but subsequent copyists Christianized it to read 'word of the Lord'.

But as I’ve shown above, the traditional expression was 'word of Jehovah' which occurs almost 200 times whereas 'word of God' only occurs half a dozen times in the Hebrew Scriptures. Now if Luke had used the traditional expression – 'the word of Jehovah' – that would explain why there is such textual confusion over this expression…some copyists chose to render it 'word of God' while others rendered it 'word of the Lord'.

Acts 16:32 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where even earlier 201-300m. exist. WT cites a version from 1599 for the change
    The expression here used is 'the word of God' and is translated in NWT as 'the word of Jehovah'.

The footnote shows that the original copier of the codex Sinaiticus (Greek, fourth century) as well as the codex Vaticanus 1209 (Greek, fourth century) use the Greek equivalent of God.

The corrector of codex Sinaiticus as well as the codex Alexandrinus (Greek, fifth century), codex Ephraemi rescriptus (Greek, fifth century), papyrus Chester Beatty 1 (Greek, third century) and papyrus Bodmer 17 (Greek, seventh century) use the Greek equivalent of Lord.

Seven Hebrew translations of the 13 cited substitute the tetragrammaton in this verse.

The same facts that applied to Acts 13:44 are just as true here and the textual confusion which supports the hypothesis that Luke wrote 'word of Jehovah' is again evident.

Acts 18:21 This verse has the Greek - 0eov = God being replaced where early 301-400m. exist. WT cites a version from 1877 for the change
    The expression here used is 'God willing' and is translated in NWT as 'if Jehovah is willing'.

The footnote shows that there is strong support for 'God' in the Greek, Latin and Syriac texts.

The Hebrew translation by Franz Delitzch (1981) substitutes the tetragrammaton in this verse.

I have to agree there does not seem to be the same level of support for using Jehovah in this verse as there is in the other verses discussed.

1 Thessalonians 4:15, however only 1 of the 2 "Lords" in this verse have been changed even tho the greek is exactly the same for both words, yr 301 supports for Lord for both, WT cites 1599 version for changing only one.
    The expression here used is 'the word of the Lord' in the first instance and 'presence of the Lord' in the second instance. They are translated in NWT as 'Jehovah’s word' and 'presence of the Lord' respectively.

In my discussion of Acts 13:44 above I mentioned that the expression 'word of Jehovah' occurs almost 200 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. This fully meets the criteria for including God's name.

Why do the translators not use ‘Jehovah’ in the expression 'presence of the Lord'? Quite simply because there is no parallel expression 'presence of Jehovah' in the Hebrew Scriptures. I would have thought that was obvious.

Your assertion that the 61 references you provided which, you emphasized, “have no quotation, reference or parallel thought [in the Hebrew Scriptures]” has been shown to be false in most instances. If you had just read the scriptures you cited you would have recognised the expressions 'angel of Jehovah' and 'Jehovah’s word' as having OT origins. Lynn Lundquist says in his book from which you abundantly quote (p. vii of the Overview): "no serious student ever accepts a writer's presentation without first confirming the information for himself". You are well advised to do so before you present his citations on a public forum.

Earnest

• NewLight2
  • Will Power
    Will Power

New Light, nice list, and there are more!

Earnest, how ya doin?

The expression 'Jehovah God' occurs hundreds of times in the Hebrew Scriptures which are the grounds for believing it was also used in the NT. 'Lord God' is never used in the OT. Most people are familiar with the expression 'Lord God' only because the English translations they use have replaced 'Jehovah' with 'Lord' where the phrase occurs in the OT.
    Are the Hebrew Scriptures you refer to the versions of the years 1385 to 1979? These are the years that support the divine name. Date range supporting Kyrios is 200 to 400 C.E. So it was the Hebrews that translated the Greek differently. And in 61 instances there is no OT quote.

As for the expression Lord God NEVER being used in the OT, where did you hear this and what about these:

LORD GOD (Adonai Yahweh)
    Gen. 15:2, Ex 3:2,15, Ps 23:1, Is 40:31, Ezek 11:23

We should qualify one point & of this I'm sure we'll agree on, that the word Lord did not replace the word Jehovah. The word Jehovah is only a word that was made up in the 1300s from YHWH, and some of the vowels of Elohim & Adonai. (Yahweh as well being more accepted and is just as easy for an english person to say. Almost like by inventing another "new" name, even after Christ's name was supposed to be the new name.)

Sidebar: It strikes me as odd that an organization who brags about doing everything like the first christians (followers of Christ) would pass on actual manuscripts dating from 200CE, 300, 400, and choose those dating in the 1300s, 1500, 1800s.

As one of the principles for substitution is that the passage containing kyrios (the Greek word for 'Lord') applies to God rather than Jesus the onus is on you to demonstrate that any of these passages clearly refer to Jesus.
    No, I think the onus is on anyone who would change what the apostles wrote. Do you believe that God has protected His Word? If not how can you say that the bible is inspired? This goes directly to my bringing this up in the first place. Did the apostles use the Divine Name or the word Kyrios? The evidence in the earliest papyrus' points to Kyrios. Theology HAS to be determined & written outside of the gospels. It is a fact that the Divine Name was never spoken. Jesus was a jew, and as a jewish "man" albeit a great man, as you say, He would certainly be following the respected tradition. If he did speak this name outright, don't you think there would have been something written about something so serious? Or if He told the apostles it was ok to call God by a "name" that would certainly have made it into someone's account. Jesus taught how to pray, perfect time to use the name, he said OUR Father...
    Again, The answer to this question is NOT found in theology. Nor is it found in personal conviction or even loyalty to an organization. The answer is found through a careful examination of the actual ancient Greek manuscripts of the Christian Scriptures.
    Hebrew translations by Franz Delitzsch and United Bible Societies substitute the tetragrammaton in this verse.
    AGAIN why change God to Jehovah if it was originally written as GOD!!!

In regards to all the codex evidence you presented, to what does this matter when the earliest dates supporting Lord are WAY before any of these. Just because the OT uses "word of YHWH" over 200 times does not mean that that is how the apostles WROTE it while inspired by God. If you say they made the mistakes 237 times, then the bible is not reliable anywhere else. Same reasoning if the copists made this particular exact mistake 237 times in every manuscript. With the reams & reams of early Christian & secular writings in this time period there is not one mention of a conspiracy. So please don't go there.

Why do the translators not use ‘Jehovah’ in the expression 'presence of the Lord'? Quite simply because there is no parallel expression 'presence of Jehovah' in the Hebrew Scriptures. I would have thought that was obvious.
    What about in the OT? Is 64:2 ...That the nations may tremble at Your presence!
    3 ..the mountains quaked at Your presence
    Ex 33:14 My presence shall go with you...15Your presence does not go with us...
    Ps 44:3...and the light of Your presence..
    There certainly seems to be a parallel here. Much less has been tried.
    This fully meets the criteria for including God's name.
    YEAH, if you want to change what was originally written! 1Thes 4:15 Jesus gave the apostles the good news - gospel - it was His words they were spreading. By choosing Jehovah here the WT implants their theology where it should not be. They do not of course use the word Jehovah in the next verse because they say that Jesus who is Michael the Archangel descends from heaven. Instead they choose to use a footnote to say that the highly respected Hebrew scriptures use Jehovah here. The same Hebrew scriptures that back up the other 60 without OT quote. Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Your assertion that the 61 references you provided which, you emphasized, “have no quotation, reference or parallel thought [in the Hebrew Scriptures]” has been shown to be false in most instances.
    MOST instances? A couple from Acts, what about the rest, have you checked them out? And it does not change the fact that using manuscripts from 1200, 1500 or whatever is a little less than responsible when papyrus & manuscripts date from 200-400 CE support kyrios.

One note regarding frequently used OT sayings about jehovah that appear in the NT.
    It certainly woud not be justified to substitute the name jehovah in place of the Lord [Jesus] in each occurrence throughout the greek scriptures for the idea expressing, "...something that the Lord did..." based on this statement regarding an event in Moses' life! Many similar examples of the other parallel references would show the error which would be introduced by taking a common phrase in the Hebrew Scriptures which used Jehovah's name to introduce the name of Jehovah into the work of Jesus in the Greek Scriptures. The phrase "Following Jehovah fully..." illustrates how subject - or parallel thought cross reference citations could be misused. This phrase with slight alteration is found at Numbers 32:12, Deut 1:36, and Joshua 14:8, 9 & 14. It would completely violate the biblical meaning at Luke 9:61 to introduce the name Jehovah into the passage making the man Jesus asked to follow him say, "I will follow you Jehovah but first permit me to say good bye to those in my household."

I'll leave with a question. Who will you stand before and give an account of yourself when judged?

• Earnest
    Earnest

Will Power,

In a discussion on principles of translation one makes certain assumptions on what is already common ground. I had assumed that you were familiar with the terminology used by Jehovah's Witnesses and so suspect we have been speaking at cross-purposes.

You said:

Are the Hebrew Scriptures you refer to the versions of the years 1385 to 1979? These are the years that support the divine name.
    Wherever I have used the term Hebrew Scriptures I have referred to what is commonly known as the Old Testament which was originally written in Hebrew and contains the tetragrammaton about 7000 times. When I refer to the J versions cited in the NWT footnotes I use the term Hebrew translations to differentiate them from the Hebrew Scriptures. So, the Hebrew Scriptures which contain the expression 'Jehovah God' hundreds of times refers to the Old Testament, which has manuscript support dating back to the time of Christ.
    As for the expression Lord God NEVER being used in the OT, where did you hear this and what about these:
    LORD GOD (Adonai Yahweh)
    Gen. 15:2, Ex 3:2,15, Ps 23:1, Is 40:31, Ezek 11:23
    It was not a matter of "hearing" that 'Lord God' is never used in the OT. I checked a concordance myself. The expression 'Adonai Yahweh' most certainly does not mean 'LORD GOD'. 'Yahweh' is the Hebrew form of God's name so the English equivalent is 'Lord Jehovah' which occurs a number of times. The Hebrew word for God is altogether different and is never found in conjunction with 'Lord' in the OT. None of the list of scriptures you provide uses the Hebrew expression 'Lord God' and only one of them (Gen. 15:2) has the expression 'Lord Jehovah'. The others are quite irrelevant to your sentence.
    We should qualify one point & of this I'm sure we'll agree on, that the word Lord did not replace the word Jehovah.
    Quite right. The original writers of the Bible wrote in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Never in English.
    Just because the OT uses "word of YHWH" over 200 times does not mean that that is how the apostles WROTE it while inspired by God.
    The apostles were all Jews and most likely familiar with the OT. When there is a common expression in your language it is second nature to use it when expressing the same thought. So while you may assert that they wrote contrary to their nature, the pattern of their writings clearly shows otherwise (meaning you can usually identify the author by the pattern or nature of the writing).

I said it was obvious the translators of NWT did not use 'Jehovah' in the expression 'presence of the Lord' at 1 Thess.4:15 simply because there is no parallel expression 'presence of Jehovah' in the Hebrew Scriptures. You replied:

What about in the OT? Is 64:2 ...That the nations may tremble at Your presence!
    3 ..the mountains quaked at Your presence
    Ex 33:14 My presence shall go with you...15Your presence does not go with us...
    Ps 44:3...and the light of Your presence..
    There certainly seems to be a parallel here.
    The parallel expression to 'presence of the Lord' would be 'presence of Jehovah' if you wished to maintain there was justification for replacing 'Lord' with 'Jehovah'. The mere use of the word 'presence' is not a parallel expression.
    One note regarding frequently used OT sayings about jehovah that appear in the NT.
    It certainly woud not be justified to substitute the name jehovah in place of the Lord [Jesus] in each occurrence throughout the greek scriptures for the idea expressing, "...something that the Lord did..." based on this statement regarding an event in Moses' life! Many similar examples of the other parallel references would show the error which would be introduced by taking a common phrase in the Hebrew Scriptures which used Jehovah's name to introduce the name of Jehovah into the work of Jesus in the Greek Scriptures. The phrase "Following Jehovah fully..." illustrates how subject - or parallel thought cross reference citations could be misused. This phrase with slight alteration is found at Numbers 32:12, Deut 1:36, and Joshua 14:8, 9 & 14. It would completely violate the biblical meaning at Luke 9:61 to introduce the name Jehovah into the passage making the man Jesus asked to follow him say, "I will follow you Jehovah but first permit me to say good bye to those in my household."
    I regret this note of yours show a complete disregard for everything I have demonstrated regarding the pertinence of parallel expressions. Consider for a moment the examples you have given:

Numbers 32:12 "...they have followed Jehovah wholly."
    Deut 1:36 "...he has followed Jehovah fully."
    Joshua 14:8 "...I followed Jehovah my God fully."
    Joshua 14:9 "...you have followed Jehovah my God fully."
    Joshua 14:14 "...he followed Jehovah the God of Israel fully."

Although these are not identical expressions they have the common thought of "following Jehovah fully".

Luke 9:59-61 reads: "Then he said to another: 'Be my follower.' The man said: 'Permit me first to leave and bury my father.'...another said: 'I will follow you, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those in my household.'

This verse says nothing about "following the Lord fully". On the contrary, the chap wants to go back and sort out matters with his family first. The mere use of the word 'follow' is not a parallel expression.

This entire paragraph is taken from Lynn Lundquist's book The Tetragrammaton and the Christian Greek Scriptures, footnote p.38. This is not wrong in itself but the lack of support for the assertion made certainly suggests you had not confirmed the information for yourself.

Earnest

• Will Power
    Will Power

Earn
    Okay, what ever you say. You should believe what you write. Good for you.

Do you think that Paul was a follower of Jehovah?
    He certainly has the most pastoral letters, and Luke, who is credited with writing the Acts of the apostles, both wrote in Greek.
    Paul's letters are directed predominatly towards the Gentiles, explaining the relationship between Jew & Gentile as the Jewish Christians were being rejected by the larger Gentile groups because of their strict dietary and sacred days, laws, etc. He wrote to present the system of salvation to churches that had not rec'd the teaching of an apostle before. Do you think he spoke in jewish terms to the gentiles?

But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God. Rom 2:29
    The true sign of belonging to God is not an outward mark on the physical body, but the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit within - what Paul meant by "circumcision ...of the heart" (See Deut 30:6)
    Moreover the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.
    For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Rom 8:14 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ...

This is not a claim of what you call annointed, this is what happens to a Christian when they give themselves over to God,
    Acts Chapter 8
    Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death....For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace...and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. .. However you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Do you wait on Jehovah? I'm sure he answer your prayers as well.

When I pray, when I am really desperate, I usually have an answer the same day, or soon after. Not kidding. Once, it happened in 20 minutes!
    Something happens, someone calls, whatever, it is precise & exactly what I need, I know.

When I talk about theological things, it is what is in my heart, my whole being, not because I have all this knowledge and verses memorized, as you try to point out. All the research that I have been forced to do only re-inforces what my spirit knows already. Thats when you know its truth, you don't have to keep ready magazines to stay convinced. I am not saying that that is what you do, I am only telling you how I do it.

Jesus said it is okay to ask Him for anything and He'd do it, and that's what I do. I don't ask for winning tickets and things like that, I ask for the Way. And he is a great mediator too. That's because he is the only mediator. This is one satisfied christian. Over and out.

• evangelist
    evangelist

Paul was killing the christians because he thought he was doing it for Jehovah God.

When he was on his way , who did Paul see, when his eyes were open, or before they got closed????????

No man has seen God, but how could he go from serving God, to serving Jesus as his God??????

the next question is , when abraham was visit by three people, and two were angels, who was the third person,was this Jesus in the flesh before he was even born??????????????????

peace

• Earnest
    Earnest

Will Power,

You said:

When I talk about theological things, it is what is in my heart, my whole being, not because I have all this knowledge and verses memorized, as you try to point out.
    I regret and apologise for reflecting on your personal research. Whether you research the information or not is immaterial to its value, but I was tempted and succumbed. Your assumption that I don't consider other points of view inclined me to point out how easy it is for critics to simply regurgitate what they have read without digestion.

You said, of Paul

that his letters are directed predominatly towards the Gentiles, explaining the relationship between Jew & Gentile...Do you think he spoke in jewish terms to the gentiles?
    I agree it is less likely that Paul used God's name in some of his letters because his intended audience would not be familiar with it. Of course, when he wrote to the Hebrews (if, indeed, Paul is the author of that letter) the converse is true.

When it comes to laying down principles for translation to include God's name the sole basis of the NWT is that it does so "where the inspired Christian writers have quoted verses, passages and expressions from the Hebrew Scriptures and...the divine name appears [in the Hebrew text]". That is quite a broad brush which does not consider that the intended audience may have affected the decision. Their conclusion is evidently that this "christianization" of the text (to use Bruce Metzger's term) only occurred after the Christian church grew beyond its Jewish roots.

But insofar as these are the principles they are guided by, you are mistaken to suggest that the 61 instances you provide "have no quotation, reference or parallel thought [in the OT]".

Seven of the scriptures use the OT expression "Jehovah's angel".
    Eight of the scriptures use the OT expression "the word of Jehovah".
    Other scriptures use OT expressions such as "the law of Jehovah", "the face of Jehovah", "the Christ [anointed] of Jehovah", "in the name of Jehovah". These are such well-known Hebraic expressions there is ample authority to conclude they were used by the original writers.

Earnest

• FetterFree Annie
    FetterFree Annie

I haven't time to read all the posts. I will later. It seems to me though, that this subject has been flogged to death many times over. For me, belief in the Trinity came when the third Person- the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and the need for Jesus as my Saviour

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit