Marilyn Zweifel of the 800-why-1914 Helpline passed away yesterday

by coffee_black 26 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Marilyn manned the helpline for many years, and touched the lives of so many effected by the Wt. She will be missed.

Coffee

• minimus
    minimus

I didn't know her but I know she was your friend and I am sorry for your loss.

• blondie
    blondie

http://brci.org/index.php

1-800-WHY-1914

I don't think it is manned/womaned any more but she was the first ex-jw I reached out to and the first one I met in the flesh. She soothed my fears and pointed me in the right direction.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Wow... I didn't know her but again, sure she will be missed... If she helped Blondie... wow...

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Blondie, the helpline was closed down a while back due to Marilyn's health issues.

Coffee

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Before even finding my way to JWN, I found the helpline. Marilyn tried to steer me toward some local help, but I wasn't really ready for it.

I have only heard good things about her as I met and spoke with other members of BRCI.

Her contribution to the cause will be missed and remembered.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

She helped me. What a wonderful person who made a difference .

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

So sorry to hear this.

I spoke to her on her hotline years ago right before that TV expose on the JWs.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I never knew her but she sounds like she lived her life for a noble cause. That in itself, is very admirable.

For Marilyn...

LoisLane

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

When going to a DC in 1990/91, there were ex-JWs picketing out front and one sign caught my eye, 1-800-WHY-1914. So easy to remember. It was within a few weeks that I managed the nerve to make that call while I was at work. Being very nervous because of the warnings inculcated in my mind during my life's tenure as a JW, I hung up when presumably Marilyn answered the phone.

But it wasn't in vain. In fact, it was the very start of me exercising my freedom to investigate the WTBS outside of the recommended publications that were encouraged to be the only source of research. I didn't have access to the internet because it was at its infancy, so I was unable to investigate through that avenue. It was shortly thereafter when I was assigned jury duty in a city 20 minutes away. I then went to the local library next door to the court house and checked up and read books written about JWs during every single one of my lunch breaks for the entire two weeks of my duty.

Needless to say, here I am now. What a journey thus far!

And yes, it all started with that picket sign 1-800-WHY-1914

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit