Who is your favorite "Apostate"? Who helped you see the truth about "The Truth"?

by minimus 111 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I have this memory that Randy Watters did a paper newsletter called Freeminds in the early nineties before the internet. Can't remember how we got hold of it. After reading CoC and leaving, that newsletter really helped us to feel less alone. Thank you Randy.
  • Simon
    Simon

I remember getting Randy's freeminds newsletter too - it definitely helped you feel less isolated so a big thanks from us too.

I'd also echo what other people have said: everyone who posts is helping others by doing so and you don't have to be some great theologian to help others. They show that you are not alone and can be normal and happy. While the in-depth doctrinal analysis is certainly useful I wouldn't dismiss the power that a friendly welcoming comment can have to someone.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers
    Whoever the guy that came up with the overlapping generation....I don't know who he is, but he is my favorite....in one fell swoop he forever altered their doctrine and it was the final straw to my overloaded back.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I was already on the "I think they are full of s**t" road since 1995, but then saw "Dateline" and knew Barbara Anderson was the real deal.  So she was my first apostate I was influenced by.

On the internet, Randy Watters with the scary website with the eyeball...so dangerous!

Read Ray Franz's experience online and finally understood what happened back there in the 80's.  

Read Penton's and Carl Jonsson's books after I stopped going, and would say they just confirmed everything I had been feeling for years and years.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The great divergence between what is written and what is taught on the gospel (of grace) did it for me. (2 Cor 4:4)

It seems law (or legalism) vs grace was the big "scandal" that broke out in Bethel in the early 1980's.

It seems Ray may actually have left discreetly a few good articles on this behind in the Watchtower's publications.

• blondie
    blondie

I was influenced by the WTS lies to leave. But when I read Ray Franz books, I knew I wasn't alone. I called him and we talked for quite some time and sent me tidbits. When we met face to face a few weeks later, we continued our talk and he and Cynthia told us about their defining moments. I learned that I did not have to join another religion.

I miss both them.

Blondie

• millie210
    millie210

Blondie, Have you ever posted about that visit or series of conversations? I would love to read more from you about that.

I would love to hear anything you want to share or if you would point me to where you have already done so I would be most appreciative!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

My favourite 'apostate'? - definitely Paul Grundy of jwfacts.com. When I first saw his website, I clicked on it assuming it was pro-JW. I was in for a bit of a surprise! At first, I actually felt a bit of anger towards him, but I couldn't argue with the content because he used WTS publications as support. In the end, I agreed with most of what he said, only having one or two minor disagreements. Pauls seems to put his uni education to good use by good presentation of data and evaluation of different comments and viewpoints.

After discovering jwfacts.com, I found freeminds and this site. Some of my other favourite people - snare & racket, cofty, blondie, outlaw, rubadub, simon, and others I can't quite remember right now.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

minimus - "Who is your favorite 'Apostate'? Who helped you see the truth about 'The Truth'?"

The Governing Body.

'Specially after they launched The 144,000 Club, a.k.a. JWTV.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A fellow elder. I was on the committee that DF him. He was

a close friend and I couldn't figure out what happen.

I went to him after he was DF and ask , why.

He told me it is all BS, read CoC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit