Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said:

They had faith... and then they allowed fear to make them doubt, and so lose faith. Peter walked in faith... then saw the wind and became afraid... and sank.

So Peter was supposed to completely IGNORE and even DENY the evidence provided by his own SENSORY ORGANS, as if he BELIEVED strongly enough he would remain above the water.

That's EXACTLY the point of FAITH: it requires not only believing despite a LACK of visible evidence, but even requires one DENYING sensory evidence which instills doubt, since it CHALLENGES the faith itself.

You telling me you can't see the topsy-turvy nature of that approach, especially since you have to take the entire account as having actually occurred ON FAITH, too, where the ancient myth of a Holy man being able to walk on water was quite old, even then?

Adam

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm sorry to have gotten this far off-topic, but I wonder if you can see how you're contradicting your own argument. If the Egyptians knew all about dead bodies from handling them, why were they still wrong about the brain? If I recall correctly, they removed it from the head as if it was of little use to the person in the afterlife; just getting something out of the way to make embalming easier. So obviously religion, absence of it, or differences in it, did not have much to do with this misconception. (Incidentally, the Egyptians' ignorance was why I mentioned earlier that experiments with living things were needed to get to the bottom of the matter.)

That's why the Hebrews put words into God's mouth that make him appear to be ignorant of the TRUTH (or at least like he went to mummification school in Egypt). Even Jesus spoke of thoughts of the heart, some 400 yrs AFTER Hippocrates and others proved the claim as false

I know you won't want to hear this because it sounds like fundamentalist apologetics, but it's entirely possible that the writers were being poetic. Think about it this way: we still today say things like, "I feel it in my gut", "from the bottom of my heart", and myriad other expressions that imply that thoughts and emotions come from those organs. There's no passage in the Bible that I'm aware of that says that if someone's, say, kidney is removed, they will lose the ability to feel kindness or fear. All of the language works perfectly well if read with the same poetic license we use today in English and other languages.

Part of me didn't even want to bring this up. We're more or less on the same side of the argument, but I do feel that you look a little too hard sometimes for mistakes in the Bible, and I just wanted to speak up about this subject because it's something I happened to have on my mind recently, and because I don't think religion deserves that bad of a rap.

• tec
    tec
    I try to simplify and distill things as much as possible - when discussing this kind of thing I find (sometimes) people with religious faith descend into what I would refer to (not trying to be disrespectful here) as 'babble'. It could be that they aren't very good at describing things, but it often comes across as just throwing alot of 'buzzwords' around in the effort to shroud faith in a cloud of mystery that only 'faithful' people will understand.
    There hasn't been too much of this 'babble' in the thread so far, though it's started to go slightly in that direction with a few things - "We can ask for Truth though... we can ask for faith... and if we ask, if we knock and seek, then the door will be opened, the Father WILL answer. That is the promise."
    I really am quite interested in getting a believers perspective of faith in simple understandable terms.

I understand, and I will try to keep things simple. I am not always the greatest at describing things either, and some things (like spiritual things) are harder to describe except in metaphor or example (like Agonos description of faith on the top of page three). But if you will bear with me, I will try to clarify if I am unclear.

I'm sensing that alot of religious peoples 'religious faith' is actually more of mix of faith and hope. Meaning that if their faith in something doesn't pan out there is always an excuse - an 'out'. To borrow an expression from the JW's - "Wait on Jehovah", "Pray incessently and Jehovah will answer", "Don't doubt God's ability".

It might be as you say, that a lot of religoius people's 'faith' is more about belief. (Fernando touched on this - belief from man; faith from God)

Belief can be "I think this is true; I hope this is true; I don't know for sure, but I believe (for whatever reason)"

Faith is the knowing; assurance; confidence... though a little doubt can weaken that faith, make a person doubt the promises of the One they have placed their faith in. Peter knew, and could see Christ walking on water, but fear caused him to doubt. Fear is what causes many people to doubt.

I'm not patient enough. I'm not praying enough. I have some small doubt inside that I'm barely aware of - always some escape clause for when faith doesn't work.

I can only speak for myself. I am aware of my own doubt, if I am doubting. I do try to be honest with myself. As for praying and patience... if I ask for something (understanding/answers/direction), then I just leave it to Him, knowing that He will answer... on His time and as He knows is best. Not that I have always been like that... there have been plenty of things that I have worried over and continued to ask about; but as He has taught me, I have come to trust in Him, completely. Maybe some 'get it' all at once, but me... I'm a slow and stubborn learner ; )

Even when you mentioned faith being a 'gift' from God. Meaning he may choose not to give it to you according to his whim. This strikes me as another escape clause.

Christ said that any who ask their Father the gift of the holy spirit, that He will not withhold that gift. Christ also said that he who knocks, the door will be opened to them. These are promises.

I understand what you are talking about... escape clause... but really it is people who put limitations and expectations on God and Truth. But if you have faith in someone, then you can leave a matter in their hands and know that it will be taken care of as they know best. But even some who think they want truth do not really want it... they want what they think truth should be (their expectations); but they do not want to hear something that goes against those. So they are unwilling to receive what they're asking for, and harden their hearts.

Harden their hearts... meaning they will not receive what they are hearing. They will not receive truth; they will stick to what they believe or want truth to be; rather than what truth IS, because the truth might reveal the darkness in them... so as to chase it away; or the truth might show them that they are part of a lie (like a particular religion that they have given their faith to instead of Christ), and they do not want to see it. If truth is something that someone does not want to hear, or is unwilling to hear, then they may harden their hearts against it. Like someone who really wants to be angry at someone, their hearts might be hard to hearing that they should forgive from their hearts, even if they have been wronged. Or someone who wants a promotion at work, so they harden their hearts to the truth that they are neglecting their family who is suffering at home.

The descritption, harden hearts... is quite apt. It is not scientific... but the feeling is exactly that. For me, some time ago, I asked if I could do something (i wont' reveal what). The moment I asked though, I immediately put up a wall (hardened my heart... and it felt like a hardening inside my chest, truly), because I did not want to hear any answer other than the one I WANTED. And I knew that my Lord WOULD answer me, and would give me the truth. I did not do it on purpose, but I recognized the moment I did it, because if felt just the same as it is described.

Like some of those who went to Christ... and asked what they needed to do... but turned away when Christ told them the truth, because His Truth (THE truth) was not what they wanted to hear.

Real life example:
    After I woke up to the whole JW cult thing, I for a time tried to connect with God aside from the whole JW doctrines. I even avoided using the name Jehovah in case that was throwing a spanner in the works somehow. I tried praying to Jesus, tried praying to God - explained to God I don't really know the protocall anymore as I was confused as to what was true and what wasn't after the JW debacle - so please just accept my prayer even if I get some technicallities wrong.
    All I really prayed for was for truth - as you mentioned. I just wanted to know what he wanted of me. I'm pretty sure I was praying with faith - not hope, as I was at a point that I just wanted TRUTH, didn't matter what it was.
    I prayed my little heart out, repeatedly, for a long period. Over a long period.
    I got nothing.
    What am I missing?

But you're still here, Zound. You're life is not over, and you can still hear His answer.

I did the same thing; and you sound above the same as I sounded, when asking for truth, when begging to know what God wanted me to do.

But after I finished ranting... and pacing (I am NOT a patient person when something is bothering me)... I was in my car one day, the sun warm on my face, a nice breeze coming through the window, and I just stopped and handed everything over to God. I put myself in His hands, and felt peace wash over me. I asked Him to lead me wherever He wanted me to be, however long that took. No time limits. No paramaters. No conditions. I just continued to follow Christ as best as I could, and knew (in faith) that God would answer me.

He did... He led me to His Son. Just His Son.

And this promise from my Lord IS true, because He has kept it:

"If anyone loves me, they will follow my commands. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with them."

Christ IS the Truth.

Not man, not religion, not the bible. The TRUTH of GOD... is Christ. Listen to and follow HIM.

No one has to take my word for that... listen to Christ, even if you go first to what he is written to have said (try asking HIM to open your eyes and ears as you read); and ask Him.

One thing also that He asks... is that we 'eat his flesh and drink his blood' to have life in ourselves, because his flesh is real food and his blood real drink. Partaking of him is real spiritual food and spiritual drink (our daily bread); strengthening the spirit within us. Doing as he asks, shows you exercising your faith. Even if you are doing it on your own (as I do).

Peace to you,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It is impossible to know what the "apostles" and "early disciples" did and actually said, or if they even existed at all. We have no relevant physical evidence at all. Our earliest sources are Paul’s letters, which come two or three decades after the later-established time of Jesus’ death. Even there we do not have his original letters, but copies of copies from centuries later, which show many signs of editing by those wanting to put their own views into Paul’s writings.

And Paul represents one sect of early Christianity, very different from an earlier one. Paul’s sect came to dominate Christianity, and we know little about other sects in earliest Christianity. There are no writings from Jesus, nor any actual apostles. I imagine even TEC would not accept that a man who walked with Jesus named John wrote the books that bear his name today.

So how in the world could you say an answer as the the faith of such people when the words attributed to such people are fabricated by those who never met any of the people involved?

• adamah
    adamah

OTWO said-

And Paul represents one sect of early Christianity, very different from an earlier one. Paul’s sect came to dominate Christianity, and we know little about other sects in earliest Christianity. There are no writings from Jesus, nor any actual apostles. I imagine even TEC would not accept that a man who walked with Jesus named John wrote the books that bear his name today.

So how in the world could you say an answer as the the faith of such people when the words attributed to such people are fabricated by those who never met any of the people involved?

That one's easy: you must have FAITH, my son!

Faith is the patent medicine cure-all of whatever ails your spiritually-sick soul, my son; that's why EVERYONE gets diagnosed with "faith-deficiency-symdrome" when it comes to Jesus-style curing!

TEC said-

But WHY do you trust that God will catch you? Because that answer is (should be) the basis for your faith.

TEC, you're still not getting it. Hebrews 11:1 CLEARLY SAYS that FAITH ITSELF is the bed-rock, the underlying FOUNDATION (hupostasis) upon which a believer's ability to base their BELIEFS in the as-yet-unseen hope is built. FAITH is what you SHOULD base your BELIEFS on the as-yet undelivered (unseen) promise. FAITH IS the foundation upon which ALL other concepts rest.

By showing off YOUR FAITH to OTHERS, you are showing your promissory note (via YOUR actions, which CAN be seen by others), and hence your showing and display of FAITH to others IS the WORK which presumably earns your entitlement to obtain that as-yet-unseen reward in the sky.

In fact, that's not a bad analogy: think of faith as the foundation of a home upon which the BELIEF in a heavenly reward rests (higher elevation).

By examining the written EVIDENCE of the "men of faith" (as recorded in the Bible, so via knowledge and second-hand account), reading accounts of THEIR faith serves as a source of building up YOUR faith, which YOU in turn can share with others.

Peter knew, and could see Christ walking on water, but fear caused him to doubt. Fear is what causes many people to doubt.

A fear of WHAT, exactly? A fear of having to admit that he COULD walk on the water, when he could ALSO SEE that he WAS? That would be CONFIRMATORY evidence, and would SUPPORT his belief, not challenge to have doubts. Such visible evidence would be an example of where his sensory perceptions CONFIRMED his faith, wouldn't undermine it, and would SUPPORT his belief.

Instead, I suspect the story is more paradoxical inversion of the rules of logic, where up is down, yet again. Your answer reveals deep-seated doubts in your faith, fearing that you might have to admit that you have been misled? Perhaps you feel a fear of looking at the overwhelming evidence that points to that conclusion?

You DO realize that you're actually describing the thought process via which Christians PROTECT their faith, and hence trap themselves into a vicious cycle of denial of that which is plainly OBVIOUS to anyone BUT themselves (especially if they don't even understand what faith is said to be in the Bible, in the first place, and instead have chosen to invent some nebulous process that they don't understand yet call it "faith", too)?

Adam

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Pure arrogance.

"Jesus talks to me, therefore I am special."

"Oh, you prayed for help and Jesus didn't help you? There must be something wrong wtih you, because LOOK! He helps me and talks to me all the time!"

Ridiculous.

• adamah
    adamah

Hummingbird said-

Pure arrogance.

"Jesus talks to me, therefore I am special."

"Oh, you prayed for help and Jesus didn't help you? There must be something wrong wtih you, because LOOK! He helps me and talks to me all the time!"

Ridiculous.

Well, yeah, but saying that is only likely now to trigger TEC's Christian persecution complex, allowing her to attribute such directed hostility as only CONFIRMING her faith in the words of Jesus, since that's what he SAID would happen: it becomes a self-created, self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's an airtight set-up, actually designed to get people to shut down logic. Of course, moderns fail to consider that people mastered the art of psychological manipulation a LONG time ago, and although ancient peoples lacked the technological knowledge we enjoy today, they were just as good at playing the "screwing with people's minds to manipulate their behavior" game, and the Hebrews were masters at it, and the Romans knew a good means to control the Jewish populace, basically forcing them to either die or adopt this new-fangled Christianity (a more-pacifist Jewish off-shoot of Judaism, since the Jewish Messiah already came and died: no more messy Messiah claimaints to deal with!).

Adam

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

FWIW, I've never heard anyone get talked out of being a Christian (nor an atheist). Just sayin'.

• jgnat
    jgnat

tec, I really dislike the parsing method of discourse. You've done this before and taken apart my well-composed argument, which was meant to be read from beginning to end, one thought leading to another. So I'll keep my comments short.

Also, I dislike the use of "should". This implies there is a right and proper way, say, to be a religious or spiritual person and by extension a wrong way.

My summation is that you and I use faith in opposite ways. I say faith cannot exist alongside evidence. When it does, it becomes something else. You suggest that faith is evidence enough. That is, faith is as true as truth. I don't think further debate will resolve this essential difference in the use of faith.

• jgnat
    jgnat

But WHY do you trust that God will catch you? - tec

I don't have a lot of confidence that this discussion will lead to mutual understanding, but I'll share a story that helped shape my understanding of faith.

I made friends with the wife of a Timothy hay farmer. A crop's success or failure is highly dependent on the weather. It must rain when the crop is growing, and stay dry to allow the crop to cure after cutting. Rain or dry at the wrong times will ruin the crop. This couple prayed a lot, and my girlfriend says the prayers tested her faith mightily. She used to pray and watch the sky, waiting for the answer. Her peace of mind used to be dependent on the vagaries of the weather and the apparent success or failure of her prayers.

She came to a new understanding that she was to pray regardless of the outcome and have faith that life will go on. Her peace of mind was no longer dependent on the weather.

Which apparently did what it did in it's random manner, unaffected by either her prayers or her faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit