Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To me, the classic definition of faith is not the semantically confusing Hebrews 11, but the poetic account of Peter trying to walk across the water to Jesus, and only succeeding for a short time. The gospels are consistent in showing that Jesus' apostles had some faith, but were lacking total faith. This is why they were unable to cast out that demon, and why they abandoned Jesus when he was arrested, etc. etc. This definition of faith is in line with jgnat's phrasing -- a leap into the void with belief in your heart.

That being said, and although I really like the gospels, I'm not a faithful person. So while this is an interesting discussion, I don't believe that faith is an ideal state of mind that a person should seek to attain. Better to rely on facts and common sense than faith, which I can't distinguish from wishful thinking or fanaticism. That's not to say that faith is inherently bad, not at all; just that it can be dangerous.

• adamah
    adamah

Zounds asks-

If we harden our hearts, for instance, are we not rejecting it?

What does this even mean? Harden our hearts?

It's an archaic phrase which actually demonstrates the retarding effect of religious beliefs on the advancement of human knowledge, since ancient men LITERALLY believed it as a FACT that the main organ of cognition (thinking and feeling) was located in the TORSO: the heart, and not the head, which is where even a modern 4 yr old knows the BRAIN is located.

But even despite man gaining knowledge of the TRUE role of the brain via scientific discovery, the Bible never mentions the brain, and worse: God is even quoted as giving credit to what was the crowning acheivement of his creation, the human brain to the HEART. Why would God allow that to happen?

Why would God create a sacrifical system of offering kidneys as the organs of decision-making (again, the role of the brain's frontal lobes), which ALSO just happened to be based on the anatomical ignorance of ancient men? Instead, God missed the boat by failing to provide solid evidence of his being the "Intelligent Designer", instead choosing to send Jesus to put on a magic show showing SIGNS and miracles. (ALL the more ironic, since even in spite of witnessing Moses perform miracles firsthand, the Isrealites failed THEIR FAITH test, so the value of SIGNS to build faith is KNOWN to be inferior to NOT seeing evidence, only relying on UNSEEN claims)

Implication is God is willfully perpetuating human ignorance, even being the SOURCE of falsehoods and lies. God seemingly doesn't like humans cooperating (Tower of Babel, anyone?) to gain their beliefs from observation, which only undermines the God-endorsed method of relying on FAITH based on what you DON'T know (unless you're willing to do what the Gnostics did, and claim that one ALSO gained knowledge as a GIFT from God, where recipients just KNEW in their hearts what was absolutely true, based on faith).

Of course, being an atheist, it's no coincidence that the humans who wrote the Torah went with the best scientific knowledge available to them in their time, so they HAD to rely on common-knowledge of the day (which science subsequently revealed as WRONG, eg finding the true role of the brain via clinical work on warriors who experienced brain damage in battles that didn't kill them, but left them with cognitive deficits). The misbelief had persisted for a few millenia before, but nevertheless it was INCORRECT; worse, the Bible's literality retarded human advancement for a millenia AFTER the true role of the brain was discovered, as well, due to the reluctance to accept any idea that challenged the Bible.

(So to get back to the question: a "hardened heart" is analogous to saying someone is thick-skulled, or has "rocks for brains".)

Christians use a familiar approach to excuse the Bible's being incorrect when the evidence from science becomes so obvious as to be undeniably true: they back-peddle to claiming it wasn't meant as LITERAL in the first-place, and it is only a poetic speech, forgetting that the literal belief preceded the poetic usage (it's a similar tactic of a child claiming "but I was ONLY kidding! I didn't MEAN it!" after insulting someone).

We've seen the same tactic used for the creation account (vs evolution), flat round Earth (vs spherical), firmament (vs WHAT, exactly?), Earth at center of God's creation (vs Copernican model), etc. People like Bruno have been put to death as heretics at the stake by the RCC for daring to publicly question ANY statement in the Bible when they had evidence on which to question the literal reading.

zounds said-

Thomas didn't have faith. He doubted. He demanded evidence - and Jesus promptly gave it to him.

Yes, but don't forget that Jesus followed it with a reproof and chiding him by saying that Thomas' belief was LESS WORTHY than that of someone who didn't demand EVIDENCE, but relied purely on FAITH, accepting the claims of others based on THEIR belief. To a Christian, asking for evidence is a SIGN that THEY lack faith; doubting one's own FAITH NS aaking for SIGNS is a stunning admission of weakness, per the Bible.

jgnat said-

That's right. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence. It's a leap in to empty space trusting that God will catch you.

And not only that, being proud to BRAG to other about KNOWING WITHOUT ANY DOUBT that they'll be caught! That would be "showing their faith" to others, and in their minds, being caught actually DEMANDS they declare it to others!

Zounds-

I got nothing. What am I missing?

As you and others point out, the FAILURE of faith is excused by a quite typical MO: blame the victim. Per the Bible, if you don't feel the blessing you MUST be doing something wrong and it's YOUR fault, since it's not like God COULDN'T exist! That would mean the believer would have to question THEIR faith in God, and that's IMPOSSIBLE, since they're NEVER wrong on anything!

Heck, Fernando showed that here:

My experience of faith is that of a higher level of consciousness and intelligence - an awakening of the divine that exists in very human.

Ordinary people who are persons of faith - spiritual persons - are able to see or discern things from another time, place or realm which consequently are hidden to the natural/physical/carnal/temporal/religious man - in particular the self-righteous, smug, and intelligent Pharisee.

That's a classic approach, based on a turn-the-tables, paradoxical topsy-turvy World of Jesus, where the most uneducated and least-curious is the one who's really KNOWS what's going on. They are given a "higher level of consciousness" (which is a rather arrogant claim, in and of itself!), a charge which they defend by quickly pointing to their example only reflecting to the "glory of God".

It's curious that faith DEMANDS suppression of obvious and undeniable evidence, since it's a threat to THEIR FAITH. Believers HAVE to put on their cognitive blinders on to avoid challenges to their FAITH. We saw that in the recent DNA thread, where someone who clearly had no knowledge of biology felt THEY were entitled to offer their ignorant opinion on the methods of palentology, based only on THEIR belief in God. Offering one's opinion, when you don't know bupkis of the subject except what you WANT to be true? THAT'S the epitome of TRUE arrogance, feeling that one's uneducated opinion outweighs those who've dedicated their entire LIVES to studying the subject and working daily to advance knowledge.

It's not surprising, as the Bible constantly deprecates the wisdom of men and ORDERS one to share their faith with others; it's an anti-intellectual bias that leads to groups like JW DISCOURAGING education and "Worldly wisdom". It's the American version of the Taliban, who believe based on their beliefs, and KNOW they're RIGHT and everyone else is WRONG since their Holy Book tells them so.

TEC said:

Yes. Faith is the assurance of something that one hopes for. Faith is knowing (confidence/no doubt) that what one hopes for will come to pass. But faith in what one hopes for is based on something, and if on something, that something is evidence.

I see you're not yet convinced of what constitutes visible evidence vs unseen evidence, hence you aren't accepting the Bible's own definition of faith? Maybe you don't catch that YOUR FAITH is what is shown to OTHERS, and IS the visible evidence that supports YOUR reward and hope which is supposed to support your claim of deserving of being rewarded by Jesus with Heavenly existence.

To resurrect the 'buying a refrigerator' analogy with a physical receipt being given by the clerk to promise future delivery, it would be like showing YOUR NEIGHBORS the written promise to deliver, as if that would somehow have any bearing on the store actually following through on the delivery of the refrigerator, as if the STORE is ordering you to conduct informal advertising for them or they WON'T actually deliver?

See, that receipt relies on the concept of an independent impartial 3rd party existing who can RENDER JUSTICE if the other party fails to perform as they promised; however, since Biblical faith is said to come from God, who are you going to appeal to, if God and Jesus fail to deliver on their promises? Are you going to take God to small-claims court?

You're in the position of Job, then, and you'd have to appeal to God to hear the case AGAINST God! Obviously a silly premise by today's standards of justice, since any judge involved in a matter as one of the parties would be required to recuse himself from hearing the case, if only due to the APPEARANCE of an obvious conflict of interest.

But the obvious question is, have you ever been convinced BEYOND ANY DOUBT that something would happen, but it didn't come to pass? i.e. have you EVER been incorrect in your beliefs before? Have you EVER been wrong, despite being absolutely convinced you were RIGHT?

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Apognophos said-

To me, the classic definition of faith is not the semantically confusing Hebrews 11, but the poetic account of Peter trying to walk across the water to Jesus, and only succeeding for a short time.

Interesting comments, esp Peter's loss of faith, where he lost faith and fell into the water.

I'm reminded of the Roadrunner cartoons, where the cartoon character has to REALIZE that they're unsupported in thin air BEFORE they start to fall, as if the laws of gravity are suspended until they become AWARE of their unsupported status! I suspect that the cartoon is actually depicting a believer's over-reliance on the questionable value of FAITH, where being aware of the reality is what removes it's protective effect, i.e. the false sense of security it provides (AKA placebo effect). As the old saying goes, ignorance is bliss. Isn't that the whole question of awakening, learning of TTATT? Would some prefer to remain hypnotized but living a lie?

The gospels are consistent in showing that Jesus' apostles had some faith, but were lacking total faith. This is why they were unable to cast out that demon, and why they abandoned Jesus when he was arrested, etc. etc. This definition of faith is in line with jgnat's phrasing -- a leap into the void with belief in your heart.

Yup, and let's not overlook the account that claims that some of the apostles abandoned Jesus after the Last Supper (yet it also doesn't mention any apostolic succession taking place to replace the unstated # of apostles who found Jesus' commands to symbolically drink his blood as "too hard to hear", as Simon put it. (Remember, as Torah-observant Jews, telling them to symbolically drink ANY blood was anathema to them, a direct violation of God's eternal prohibition on eating of blood, found in Genesis 9:5.)

Did those apostles who abandoned Jesus lack faith, even though the definition of apostle is performing SIGNS (miracles) for others?

Adam

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    What does this even mean? Harden our hearts?
    It's an archaic phrase which actually demonstrates the retarding effect of religious beliefs on the advancement of human knowledge, since ancient men LITERALLY believed it as a FACT that the organs of cognition (thinking and feeling) were located in the heart in the TORSO, and not the head, where even a modern 4 yr old knows the BRAIN is located.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that religion held back science here. It's not so obvious, without performing experiments on a living person, where the seat of cognition is. When you see something gross, your stomach heaves. When your girlfriend leaves you, your heart hurts. Emotions are felt physically in the internal organs of the torso, not in the head. Seeing the effects on someone with head trauma might have led some people to have suspected that the brain was involved with cognition, but then again maybe they would write it off as damage to the eyes and other senses. It only seems obvious to us today, like many other basic facts such as the roundness of Earth, because we've been told so, not because we've done any experiments to prove it to ourselves.

• adamah
    adamah

I wouldn't go so far as to say that religion held back science here. It's not so obvious, without performing experiments on a living person, where the seat of cognition is. When you see something gross, your stomach heaves. When your girlfriend leaves you, your heart hurts. Emotions are felt physically in the internal organs of the torso, not in the head.

You're relying then on the same reasoning that Aristotle relied on in the 4th cent BCE, which led him to come to the WRONG conclusion that it was the center of cognition. In fact, he explained WHY he thought the heart was the center of cognition; in that sense, he made some valid observations, and relied on what we now know are false premises which allowed him to come to the wrong conclusion.

We now know the heart is a PUMP of blood which reacts to messages sent from the brain, and those othr visceral reactions in the torso are a REACTION to the messages sent from the autonomic system, which is part of the CNS, located in the head (and spinal cord).

Fortunately, there were other inquisitive minds who didn't rely on reasoning their way thru the evidence, but relied on clinical observations, as well. Google "Aristotle on the Brain" for more, but here's a PDF.

www.princeton.edu/~cggross/Neuroscientist_95-1.pdf

Adam

• tec
    tec

That's right. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence. It's a leap in to empty space trusting that God will catch you.

But WHY do you trust that God will catch you?

Because that answer is (should be) the basis for your faith.

I apologize to everyone else if I am taking a while to respond... vertigo today, so looking at lots of typing is hard. I will get back to you though. I might just not do my normal line-by-line ; )

Peace,

tammy

• hannes
    hannes

Zound

I can well appreciate your objection. I was trying to connect some thoughts I derived from scripture in response to the initial question. In my view, all things including us come from God and exist through and by God. Then all thinking humans have faith, because all reality is from the One we live by, and Christ being the all-uniting.

The end of it, according to holy writing, is God being all in everyone. This way putting an end to all separation and distinction and ranking and hatred, love being the all-remaining force and concept.

And my thought was, that this is what we are made to after we suffered and endured the enmity stemming from mistrust, fear, and jealousy among us humans.

Each of us is wonderful enough that quite a measure of trust in the good seems justified to me.

In fact, the good is much more amazing (and trustworthy) than what may be hurtful and terrifying. That is what faith and trust is about. (Of course there are zillions of other tracks of thought we can follow, all being right and perhaps better than mine.)

• tec
    tec
    To me, the classic definition of faith is not the semantically confusing Hebrews 11, but the poetic account of Peter trying to walk across the water to Jesus, and only succeeding for a short time. The gospels are consistent in showing that Jesus' apostles had some faith, but were lacking total faith. This is why they were unable to cast out that demon, and why they abandoned Jesus when he was arrested, etc. etc. This definition of faith is in line with jgnat's phrasing -- a leap into the void with belief in your heart.

This is good, yes.

They had faith... and then they allowed fear to make them doubt, and so lose faith. Peter walked in faith... then saw the wind and became afraid... and sank.

Peace,

tammy

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    You're relying then on the same reasoning that Aristotle relied on in the 4th cent BCE, which led him to come to the WRONG conclusion that it was the center of cognition. In fact, he explained WHY he thought the heart was the center of cognition; in that sense, he made some valid observations, and relied on what we now know are false premises which allowed him to come to the wrong conclusion.

I know that the brain does the thinking, thanks :-p You simply supported my point in that Aristotle was not a Jew, and yet he also believed the heart was the seat of the mind. Was it because he was intellectually held back by his faith in the Old Testament? Obviously not. This was a conclusion that any number of thoughtful people must have wrongly reached in ancient times. Hence my objection to blaming this on religion.

• adamah
    adamah

I know that the brain does the thinking, thanks :-p You simply supported my point in that Aristotle was not a Jew, and yet he also believed the heart was the seat of the mind. Was it because he was intellectually held back by his faith in the Old Testament? Obviously not. This was a conclusion that any number of thoughtful people must have wrongly reached in ancient times. Hence my objection to blaming this on religion.

You miss the point that most ancients believed likewise, as it was based on COMMON BELIEF at the time (Hippocrates believed otherwise, but that was due to his doing the clinical work that Aristotle seemingly didn't want to do). In fact, beliefs in God WAS the best-available explanation at the time for MOST cultures, since the priest WAS the scientist WAS the medical doctor. It was a time before humans separated religion from science, extricated medicine from healing (Jesus believed that DEMONS caused illness, hence why he healed by casting out demons). The rationalists of Greece were leading the way long before Jesus arrived (eg epilepsy was shown NOT to be caused by demons, but by a physical problem), but superstitious beliefs WERE rampant esp in Palestine.

Even 800 yrs before Jesus appeared, the Jews had strict policies that forbade contact with the dead (rendering someone unclean), so they weren't exactly leading the way to advance human knowledge on anatomy; instead, the authors of the Torah were DEPENDENT on the same source of others, namely, the religious Egyptians who were acknowledged as the experts on human anatomy on the basis of their experiences with mummifation for a few millenia (they obviously didn't have religious stigmas against touching the dead; instead their beliefs REQUIRED them to do so).

That's why the Hebrews put words into God's mouth that make him appear to be ignorant of the TRUTH (or at least made God look like he went to mummification school in Egypt). Even Jesus in 30CE still spoke of thoughts of the heart, some 400 yrs AFTER Hippocrates and others proved the claim as false, since the misbelief was perpetuated and deeply entrenched amongst the uneducated esp in an area like Roman-controlled Palestine, perpetuated by the Torah. Educated Greeks knew it by then (and likely meant they'd not be prone to the obviously uninspired claims in the Torah), but not the uneducated Jews who were living in backwater regions like Palestine, where those who couldn't even read continued to believe as literal truth (perhaps just as some bible literalists like JWs even today cling to a literal Flood, deny evolution, etc).

All of this is covered in any course on the history of medicine (usually confined to medical schools).

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit