Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• adamah
    adamah

Tec asked-

So in that... then... is Adamah saying, no, the apostles did not have faith?

Were you looking for a simple yes/no answer, as if it could be answered with an simple across-the-board Universal answer, or as if the GROUP of apostles AND disciples would be judged together on their collective faith, LOL?

Tell you what:

Rather than my providing an answer (which I COULD do, as I know how I'd respond, if I felt like it was worth spending the time it takes to write out a semi-coherent response), why don't YOU answer it first?

Adam

• Comatose
    Comatose

It seems to say in a way I agree with that they would have had evidence to support their belief. But there is a difference between evidence and faith.

If you read the second paragraph carefully it makes a few well thought out points.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm with adamah. I would describe the apostles as having faith without evidence.

• adamah
    adamah

Comatose said-

It seems to say in a way I agree with that they would have had evidence to support their belief. But there is a difference between evidence and faith.

Yup. And believing without any evidence to justify it is FAITH; belief WITH visible evidence demands LESS faith, and actually builds CONFIDENCE.

That's the entire point of the account of the miracle of feeding the multitude mentioned in all four Gospels, as the miracle was offered as a SIGN, visible evidence which was SUPPOSED to confirm their BELIEF in Jesus' claim to be the Son of God (which he shyed away from making, and even chastized his apostles from speaking of to others; Aslan discusses that in his book on Jesus).

But as the account showed, even witnessing SIGNS (miracles) in the prior chapter failed to build THEIR FAITH in Jesus, as Jesus says in Matthew 16:

5 And the disciples came to the other side of the sea, but they had forgotten to bring any bread. 6 And Jesus said to them, “Watch out and beware of the [ f ] leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7 They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, “He said that because we did not bring any bread.” 8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, “You men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves that you have no bread? 9 Do you not yet understand or remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets full you picked up? 10 Or the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets full you picked up? 11 How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread? But beware of the [ g ] leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Leaven is what makes bread rise; he was saying that the leaven of Pharisees was tainting Jesus teachings, interfering with the VISIBLE SIGNS (miracles) ability to build their and the crowd's confidence (BELIEF) in Jesus claims (and YES, even to build their FAITH, since the idea is that BELIEFS are made firmer by BOTH knowledge AND faith, since the promise of Jesus' ability to conquer death is still in their FUTURE, at this point).

Jesus was pointing out the problem with visible SIGNS (AKA miracles), refusing to provide them for the Pharisees (since they had a skeptical approach, filled with DOUBT and not willing to accept without questioning); now Jesus was blaming the Sadducees and Pharisees for "poisoning" the bread of his miracles' ability to build BELIEFS in those who witnessed them, since obviously they were undermining the power of the miracles by attributing them as coming from Satan; hence, why Jesus later declared the ONLY unforgiveable sin was to blaspheme the Holy Spirit by declaring that Jesus' power was coming from Satan, not God.

But as it pertains to the disciples, EVEN AFTER seeing Jesus feeding a crowd of strangers, and helping hand out the loaves (touching them and even tasting them), they displayed a lack of FAITH in Jesus' ability to provide for their daily needs. Jesus likely slapped his forehead, at that point (and obviously their level of faith varied with time).

Remember too how Jesus often healed those who knew NOTHING of his ability, other than what they heard; he healed them on the basis of their having FAITH. He even promised the "thief" (likely a seditionist, who may have heard of his claims but wasn't a disciple) who obviously had no ability to display his "works" at the time (he was being crucified, which makes it a bit problematic to go thereforth and make disciples!) on the basis of his FAITH, saying he'd be with him in Heaven. Paul must've had to do a bit of talking to work around THAT one, but Jesus himself spoke of the parable of the vineyard of the owner being able to hand out pay however he wishes, and no one else can say boo....

But notice how the story serves the purpose of promoting FAITH over KNOWLEDGE/DIRECT EXPERIENCE (via watching a "magic" show), which is awfully convenient, as we all know the power of illusionists to fool others with the sleigh of hand trickery, and their ability to identify the easily-susceptible (AKA gullible).

Adam

• tec
    tec

If I were to answer my own question Adamah, then I would say, yes, of course they had faith. They had faith in Christ, and in what they HEARD. Often they showed little faith, or doubted (as Peter did... his faith sent him out on the water, his doubt had him sinking; as also they did when they feared their lives in the storm on the water); but Christ continued to TEACH them (He is the Teacher)

However, they heard that 'Jesus' was the Messiah. He did not tell them that, Himself. They KNEW it. We even know how they knew it... because it is demonstrated with Peter and written down.

"Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven."

Many followed Him because they recognized His voice... "My sheep hear my voice"... and it is no different today. It is not based on a mere hope, but upon what is heard... and they put faith in what is heard

So faith was not build upon nothing, and evidence of their faith being true did not mean that they no longer had faith. Those who ASKED for signs, could not see or hear what was right before them. Those who were healed... were healed because of their FAITH, and no doubt some of that faith was based on the accounts or sightings of Christ having healed others.

So... one may hear something in spirit (from Christ) and put faith in what is heard (and so put faith in Christ, the one who gave it to them)... before SEEING (beholding/possessing) what has been spoken OF.

Faith in what is unseen, but that one knows is coming, based on what has been heard and even what has been done, before. (like the resurrection)

You do understand exercising faith... from what I read of your responses.

But your definition of faith... that it is hope based on mere hope... is false.

Faith is based on something.

Faith in God being built upon Christ. Christ being evidence. The Spirit being evidence. Hearing being evidence. Truth in teachings of Christ being evidence. Truth in what has been heard in the spirit being more evidence.

The apostles did not have faith based on a mere hope. That is my point. That is why I asked YOU, if you thought the apostles had faith... or not. Because their faith was based on what they heard, and their faith was built upon Christ. As is mine.

Peace,

tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

"So faith was not build (sic) upon nothing"

You haven't established this yet, tec.

• tec
    tec

Do you think faith is built upon nothing, jgnat?

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

The apostles did not have faith based on a mere hope. That is my point. That is why I asked YOU, if you thought the apostles had faith... or not. Because their faith was based on what they heard, and their faith was built upon Christ. As is mine.

So you're saying your faith in Christ is BASED on your BELIEF in Christ? And thus, your BELIEF in Christ is based on your FAITH in Christ?

I'm not doubting that's an honest answer (if I'm interpreting your statement correctly), but can you see the circular logic employed (AKA internal validation)?

Remember, Paul offered the examples of the "men of faith" in Hebrews 11, saying that Christians could build their faith by reading of their acccounts, eg he offered Abel as an example of someone who, although dead, others can use to build their faith in the same hope of Jesus' salvation, simply by reflecting on HIS faith.

Point being, though, is that most modern-day followers of Jesus don't expect to build their faith by Jesus making personal appearances in their heads; if that's being perceived, it seems to indicates one's LACK of faith (and a strong DESIRE to have a perceptible SIGN as PROOF), and not the person's STRONG FAITH.

Remember, this all started originally as I pointed out there is a known-phenomenon of auditory halluciations, where some will ascribe their very-real perceptions to various sources, including Christ (some realize it's only THEIR thoughts creating the voices, although deeply buried and hidden as such). I suppose the good news is that if that IS the cause of your perceptions, it would allow you to work on your FAITH as the source of your belief in God, rather than relying on the inferior faith-building properties of SIGNS.

Remember, FAITH is also described elsewhere in the Bible as a GIFT bestowed by God (NOT Jesus; the gift of faith SUPPORTS a belief IN Jesus, he's not the SOURCE of faith).

So aside from that, what exactly IS God's policy on doling out faith? Wouldn't that be rather unfair, with God capriciously dispensing life-saving faith to SOME, without giving it to others? Wouldn't a person have to be pre-disposed to a belief in faith in order to put in a REQUEST for the "gift" of faith from God? Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, to me?

Adam

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I always appreciate adamah's answers and contributions to topics.

He obviously took enough interest in your question, Tec, to offer more than a one or two sentence reply. It's seems adamah put more effort into the topic than the OP did.

I'm curious why, when he showed you respect by engaging in some serious dialogue and thoroughly answering your question, you then retort in such a disrespectful manner?

Bad form, Tec.

• tec
    tec
    So you're saying your faith in Christ is BASED on your BELIEF in Christ? And thus, your BELIEF in Christ is based on your FAITH in Christ?

No, sorry, lol. My faith in God is based on Christ, because I can know God by knowing Christ... and no other way. My faith in Christ is built upon what I heard (the truth in what He said and taught helped me to believe in ALL that He taught... but also something that I asked for - faith, the spirit, the ears to hear)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit