Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec
    He obviously took enough interest in your question, Tec, to offer more than a one or two sentence reply. It's seems adamah put more effort into the topic than the OP did.

Adamah and I have been engaged in this discussion on faith for days, and pages, on another thread. I did not want to repeat that conversation that we have already had... I was looking for an answer to something specific (which i asked here rather than ask on someone else's thread, where we seemed to be picking up where we left off. I did not want to derail that thread from its OP's purpose)

I'm curious why, when he showed you respect by engaging in some serious dialogue and thoroughly answering your question, you then retort in such a disrespectful manner?

I was not disrespectful. You simply are unaware of our previous dealings and conversations.

Perhaps do not leap to snap judgments?

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

No, sorry, lol. My faith in God is based on Christ, because I can know God by knowing Christ... and no other way.

How do you resolve that with FAITH described elsewhere in the Bible as a GIFT bestowed by God (NOT by Jesus; the gift of faith from God SUPPORTS one's belief IN Jesus, he's not a direct SOURCE of faith, unless one believes in him on the basis of second-hand writings in the Bible).

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Although it's a bit ambiguous what the author is referring to, Ephesians seems to be referring to FAITH as a gift from God (the argument of course was Peter's FAITH alone vs Jesus' faith plus works).

Is that what Jesus meant when he said this, referring to giving some individuals faith?

"No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father." (John 6:65)

You'd think an omnipotent God who "can do all things" should be able to lay out the salvation policy in a non-contradictory manner, no?

EDIT:

Surely said-

I always appreciate adamah's answers and contributions to topics.

Thanks for the compliment!

And no worries about feeling the need to stick up for ol' Adam here, as TEC is (and I say this in all sincerity) the epitome of what's GOOD about Christian beliefs; I find her to be sincere and mostly engaging in "good-faith".

(Although part of me can't help but wonder how she could be even a better person without needing to defend a misogynistic, genocidal, vengeful, homocidal an bigoted deity, or forced into blindly defending a monster and denying the obvious abuse (not healthy to live with a constant need for suppression of thoughts). Although Jesus was an improvement, he clearly said he fully supported the Law of Moses in the Torah, and he wouldn't change a word or policy, so cut from the same cloth.)

Adam

• zound
    zound

Interesting topic. I don't have much too add, but I'll try and simplify what I've got from the discussion so far.

Faith and Hope are two different things.

Faith is believing something will definately happen (without evidence).
    Hope is hoping something will happen (there is margin for error here unlike faith).

The disciples and people in Jesus times (conceding that any of those miracles actually happened) may have had faith prior to a miracle, and then that faith by defination would have morphed into fact as they now had evidence (sort of). Perhaps you could call this 'assured faith'?

Did Jesus ever say to someone, "Have faith and you will be healed!" But that person maybe didn't quite have enough faith - maybe he just had hope, but not faith, and Jesus didn't heal him because of this? That would have been kind of embarrassing if that ever happened.

The 'assured faith' was a limited time offer. I'm sure their were loads of people back then that had genuine faith that their limbs would grow back or whatever, but it was only offered to a limited few for a limited time.

Faith, is EXTREMELY limited. There are only certain things you can have faith in according to religious doctrines. I can have all the faith I want in finding $100 tomorrow, but it most probably won't happen.

How do you explain faith that doesn't come true?

• tec
    tec

Faith is a gift... but as with any other gift, can we not accept or reject it? If we harden our hearts, for instance, are we not rejecting it? (if you recall the author of hebrews stating... today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts)

We can ask for Truth though... we can ask for faith... and if we ask, if we knock and seek, then the door will be opened, the Father WILL answer. That is the promise.

(That verse seems to be referring to grace... to me. Grace is a gift from God.)

In any case, do you have a direct/straightforward answer to the question I asked? I'll leave out disciples, and just focus on the apostles, themselves, because I agree that would be different.

Do you think the apostles had faith?

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Thank you also, Ismael, for your contribution on what constitutes evidence, and that letter. I did not mean to overlook your posts.

From that letter, I agree that one should not accept blindly what man has taught. One should learn, test, listen... Truth has no fear from knowledge.

Peace to you!

tammy

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    Perhaps do not leap to snap judgments?

No snap judgments here. I can clearly see what you posted.

• adamah
    adamah

Zound, interesting on the difference between hope and faith; the Bible often differentiates on the basis of weak vs strong faith.

Most Christians would say their faith is based on what they KNOW to be true in their hearts, whereas hope is based on what we WANT or DESIRE to be true. But making a knowledge claim (KNOWING) that which cannot even be perceived seems to be claiming a measure of certainty which simply isn't warranted. How can you know the undetectable and unknowable? It seems to be upping the ante, building the impression of more stability and certainty when NONE actually exists.

Did Jesus ever say to someone, "Have faith and you will be healed!" But that person maybe didn't quite have enough faith - maybe he just had hope, but not faith, and Jesus didn't heal him because of this? That would have been kind of embarrassing if that ever happened.

Matthew 13 offers Jesus' refusal to perform miracles on account due to the unbelief of the citizens:

Jesus Rejected at Nazareth

53 Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these parables, that He departed from there. 54 When He had come to His own country, He taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished and said, “Where did this Man get this wisdom and these mighty works? 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, [h] Simon, and Judas? 56 And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?” 57 So they were offended at Him.

But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.” 58 Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief."

In John 4, Jesus pointed out that witnessing miracles (SIGNS) didn't build one's belief, but NOT seeing the healing occur actually BUILDS one's faith, and is in fact is required BEFORE healing someone, even if it's healing another person!

John 4:

46 So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Capernaum. 47 When he heard that Jesus was come out of Judaea into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son: for he was at the point of death. 48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

49 The nobleman saith unto him, Sir, come down ere my child die. 50 Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.

51 And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth. 52 Then enquired he of them the hour when he began to amend. And they said unto him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him. 53 So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house. 54 This is again the second miracle that Jesus did, when he was come out of Judaea into Galilee.

So others can be healed by proxy, i.e. based on the FAITH of the person making the request, and NOT requiring faith in the healed.

Adam

• tec
    tec

I think you are getting the gist of the conversation, Zound.

Faith and Hope are two different things.

Yes. Faith is the assurance of something that one hopes for. Faith is knowing (confidence/no doubt) that what one hopes for will come to pass. But faith in what one hopes for is based on something, and if on something, that something is evidence.

Faith is believing something will definately happen (without evidence).
    Hope is hoping something will happen (there is margin for error here unlike faith).

Faith is knowing, based on what has been heard or demonstrated (for example, we can put faith in that we will be resurrected... because Christ was resurrected; we can put faith in his promises, when we see that he keeps his word and promises)

You've got it right on hope here...

The disciples and people in Jesus times (conceding that any of those miracles actually happened) may have had faith prior to a miracle, and then that faith by defination would have morphed into fact as they now had evidence (sort of). Perhaps you could call this 'assured faith'?

I think so, yes. Assured faith. Which then builds their faith, so that the next time they are told something they may more easily put their faith in that.

I don't recall a specific incident written about... but the gospels do state that He could not perform many miracles in his home town because there was so little faith.

The 'assured faith' was a limited time offer. I'm sure their were loads of people back then that had genuine faith that their limbs would grow back or whatever, but it was only offered to a limited few for a limited time.

I don't think it was a limited time offer... but He was here in the flesh for a limited time... and faith is more than just belief; faith does not doubt. The moment Peter doubted, he sank in the water. Not too many people have faith, and do not doubt. Christ can teach us that, but it is hard for us.

(Not everyone has the gift of healing either... different gifts for different people)

Faith, is EXTREMELY limited. There are only certain things you can have faith in according to religious doctrines. I can have all the faith I want in finding $100 tomorrow, but it most probably won't happen.

I'm not sure what you mean about the limitation (unless what you mean is that religion limits what you may put your faith in, and I would agree)

Just because we want it (like your example on the money)... does not mean we will get it. Wanting is not faith. Did you hear that you would find $100... or did you just hope you would? IN that case, your faith would be based on your hope, rather than anything that Christ or God promised or said.

How do you explain faith that doesn't come true?

You put your faith in something false (most likely)... or perhaps you lost faith too soon... because the object of your faith did not occur in the timeline or manner that YOU thought was right?

(I am saying 'you' in general; not meaning you personally)

Thank you also for your thoughts!

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

If anyone would like to see the conversation between Adamah and I, on the definition of faith... it starts on page six and continues through page twelve of this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/259243/6/After-2000-years-since-JC-was-executed-why-have-we-heard-not-a-whisper-from-GOD-ALMIGHTY

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Faith is a gift... but as with any other gift, can we not accept or reject it?

"Faith is a GIFT?"

I suppose if you repeat that glib "appeal to come join in on the ignorance" enough times, you might actually start to accept it unquestioningly (like other statements that when uttered only CONFIRMS that someone has not put alot of thought into their firmly-held beliefs, eg the "if God wanted to make robots who HAD to love him, he wouldn't have given humans the gift of freewill" nonsense. It's off-topic, but I demolish it on my blog in an article on the Adam and Eve paradox).

I see faith as a "gift" as much as I see someone giving the gift of a frontal lobotomy to another.

I would NEVER voluntarily sacrifice my skeptical inquisitive nature to blindly and unquestioningly accept beliefs of ANYTHING: I LITERALLY would HAVE to experience the "gift" of closed-head trauma and massive brain injury to become a non-thinking drone, a robot. So YES, I reject that paradoxical "gift".

And so continues the paradoxical nature of Biblical beliefs, where up is down, left is right, first is last, least is greatest, faith is a gift, etc. You stack enough of those ideas into one brain, and it gets incredibly confusing to untangle it.

If we harden our hearts, for instance, are we not rejecting it? (if you recall the author of hebrews stating... today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts)

That is, if God doesn't harden your heart FOR us: are you not aware that God has no problems intervening with humankind's free will, if he decides he wants to put on a magic show, eg God's hardening the heart of Pharoah, in Exodus?

So your God not only intervenes with free will and causes a made-up problem (sin) which he LUCKILY ALSO dispenses the "gift" that CURES the problem (faith)! What grand luck! Sounds like the writers of the Bible were clever men who understood how to write a work which created an imaginary problem that also just happens to provide the imaginary fix. (I believe Dateline runs periodic hidden-camera sting operations on such scammers who offer harmful solutions to imaginary problems you never know you even HAD, until they told you about it!)

Just curious: don't you notice more than a SLIGHT similarity between the tactics used by the Mafia (not accidently named Godfather, BTW, based on their familiarity with RCC) and your God, with thinly-veiled threats of "offers you can't refuse" or "protection rackets"?

We can ask for Truth though... we can ask for faith... and if we ask, if we knock and seek, then the door will be opened, the Father WILL answer. That is the promise.

Sure, you can ask Santy to bring you a toy doll, too, and if you're a good girl he might bring it to you, IF YOU JUST BELIEVE HE WILL!

In any case, do you have a direct/straightforward answer to the question I asked? I'll leave out disciples, and just focus on the apostles, themselves, because I agree that would be different.

Do you think the apostles had faith?

For the record, I am doubtful that the characters depicted in the accounts aren't just highly-fictionalized and legendary versions of the real apostles; and just like Jesus, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they truly believed Jesus WAS the Jewish Messiah, and hence only one of a long string of delusional claimaints to appear in Israel and Judea: it was a "thing" to do, esp as the tensions between the Romans and Jews grew in the 1st-2nd Century. The tensions escalated into an outbreak of the Roman/Jewish War where hundreds of thousands of lives were lost on both sides, due to religious extremism and zealotry.

That stated, some of the characters are portrayed as showing little faith (eg Judas Iscariot, Doubting Thomas) to those who are more pious; it's a medley of faiths on display, where a believer can pick "their" favorite apostle (and swap their iconography like trading cards). The apostles evolve over time, so the question then becomes, does God use a weighed-average of their lifetime faith readings, or does he bias more-heavily towards the faith readings obtained towards the end of someone's life? Curious minds want to know....

PS mass-murderer Jeffery Dahmer was killed in prison while serving a life sentence, but claimed to be a believer in Christ for a few years before he was killed. Assuming he repented of his sins before he died and accepted the gift of salvation, is Jeffrey going to Hell, or to Heaven?

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit