Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• adamah
    adamah

I was referring to Matthew 25:31, which is referring to the JUDGING work of Jesus, where he is separating the sheep from the goats, ON THE BASIS of their works, sending some to eternal hellfire and others to Heaven ON THE BASIS of what they've done for their fellow man. It's right there, in black-and-white!

Yes, i know the sheep and the goats. My point was in response to what you seemed to be saying... that christians do good works for a reward, rather than out of love. If that was not what you were saying, then there is no argument here.

Really? Here's your original response again:

TEC said-

And of course other people give, atheist and theist alike. (not everyone who has faith in Christ gives for the expectation of a reward... some give because they have the law of love in their hearts... and some give simply because they love HIM, and He says to give, so they do... no thought of a reward other than acting on love for Him - and those He loves)

It's stretching credibility to claim that his followers do it out of LOVE for him, where Jesus made it CLEAR that if you DO give to others, you get a reward; if you DON'T, you get to bake your soul in Hellfire for an eternity.

(Didn't Jesus elsewhere say that you should NOT fear those who can only kill the body, but those who can damn your soul to Hell? He was referring to himself!)

Perhaps if someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to do what they say or else they will kill you, you MIGHT be able to excuse it in your own mind by telling yourself that you're really doing it "out of love" and NOT out of self-preservation. No one but a fellow hostage buys that rationalization, though, since that's the POINT of the kidnapping: using death threats to manipulate others into doing something they wouldn't do "out of the goodness of their hearts".

Heiress Patty Hearst learned ALL about Stockholm Syndrome by experiencing it first-hand, even if she only learned about the psychological phenomenon after her kidnappers were killed. Matthew 25 is a CLASSIC example of being made "an offer you cannot refuse", which is EXACTLY the tactic that a Mafia don who uses EXACTLY that same kind of "offer".

I was referring to the fact that God "doesn't provide" a JW family with a substitute sacrificial family member at the last moment, to step into the place of the family member to be shunned.

Well why would He? They're choosing to shun their child based on the GB... not based on Christ (who shows us God), so the loss of their child is on them (the jws and the one they listen to, but they're the ones choosing to listen to the GB)

No, it's on THEM alone, as they're independent moral agents with their OWN free will; they, despite an HONEST belief and faith in God, are simply WRONG. FAITH is wrong, since it's a dangerous, flawed approach. The danger is the faithful are easily manipulated and exploited by OTHERS who to control them, namely by those controlling the projected IMAGE of God.

However, it's the individuals fault for accepting beliefs ON FAITH in God, which fulfills a selfish narcisstic need for such a being to exist that places them at risk, in the first place. They share in responsibility for the harm THEY cause, allowing themselves to be manipulated by others.

As an ex-JW, you SHOULD be able to see that, right? The entire chain of wrong-thinking lead to bad decisions, since it RELIES on one's acceptance of the concept of FAITH in GOD; the JWs are merely one example of a group that exploits blind trust that others are willing to place in God(s), just as other religions do, with it ALL being driven by a fear of punishment for an eternity and a desire for such a being to exist.

Surely though you can recognize and applaud their faithfulness to Jehovah, for their willingness to sacrifice their own family members? Paul wouldn't have bothered to mention the "men of faith" and Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac for no good reason, since demonstrating one's faith is still required under the New Covenant?

Their faithfulness to what men tell them 'jehovah' wants, you mean... because it does not demonstrate faith in Christ or His Father, who do not ask such things.

LOL! After you just read the account in Genesis, read Paul's citing it in Hebrews, you now are DENYING that God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? THE BIBLE ITSELF makes it clear that family members are dispoable, and God DEMANDS to be placed at the top of the loyalty priority list. Jesus SAID he came to tear families apart, not to bring family unity. Did you miss that part, too?

Your voice of Jesus (who has the power to resurrect) asks you to kill someone; no details are given. The act might be a demonstration of the greatest love of all on your behalf, i.e. laying down your own life to save others, since you don't know the outcome and you might be killed. Thus, it has to be completed as a matter of faith.
    What do you do?

Re-read my response to the first time you asked. The resurrection is not a new element to your question, and my response hasn't changed... and I'm not going to repeat myself. Just go ahead and re-read. A simple yes or no would suffice. You're not shying away from an opportunity to DEMONSTRATE your faith, or are you questioning the patently-obvious immorality of the answer all believers know you MUST profess? Adam

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

God, just get a room already, guys

• tec
    tec
    It's silly to claim that they do it out of LOVE for him, where Jesus made it CLEAR that if you DO give to others, you get a reward; if you DON'T, you get Hellfire.

Not silly when I know otherwise.

Some do it for a reward or fear of a punishment (but lets be clear between you and I... this 'hellfire' that 'christianity' preaches... burning in hell for eternal torture... does not exist)... but some simpy do it out of love for Him. (and/or love for others) Ask me how I know this, Adamah... though if you think about it, you would KNOW that answer without having to ask.

And yes, a punishment (or being denied entrance into the Kingdom... or being judged for one's own deeds) might make some think twice about doing harm to others. (their own deeds will judge them)

Same as a person might think twice about breaking a law, knowing the consequence/punishment that will come as a result. But I assume you don't think the law (of the land) is like a kidnapper holding a gun to your head?

No, it's on THEM, alone, as independent moral agents with their OWN free will, since they, despite an HONEST belief and faith in God, are simply WRONG.

I never said it wasn't on them, Adamah. But those who DO the misleading and lying are also responsible... for their part in misleading. (blind man leads a blind man... both fall into the pit) And once again... their faith is in the GB, the WTS, and men... not Christ and God. They may not see that... but then I would refer you back to the blind leading the blind.

FAITH is wrong, since it's a dangerous, flawed approach since it's easily manipulated and exploited by OTHERS, who are able to manipulate their faith, namely by those controlling the projected IMAGE of God.

Your definition of faith, sure.... though again it depends upon WHO or WHAT one puts their faith IN. If you just blindly put your faith in anyone for no reason, espeically simply due to the reward that they claim to be able to give, rather than being based on truth, then that is foolish, yes.

As an ex-JW, you SHOULD be able to see that, right?

Once again, I did not join... so I am not an ex-jw... I suppose I could be called an ex-study.

The entire reason that I studied with them to begin with was because I was trying to read the bible so as NOT to be misled, so as NOT to have blind faith in what men told me... and to AT LEAST know what WAS written, rather than take someone else's word... but I was having trouble getting going, and they offered a bible study so I accepted.

The entire chain of wrong-thinking lead to bad decisions, since it RELIES on one's acceptance of the concept of FAITH in GOD; the JWs are merely one example of a group that exploits the blind trust that others are willing to place in God(s), just as other religions do, as well, with it ALL being driven by a fear of punishment for an eternity.

No doubt that much of religion exploits the faith of people, but it is their need for SIGHT that is being exploited. Their need to have religion... which is something visible within which to place their faith, as opposed to walking by faith, by Christ, the SPIRIT, and truth.

LOL! After you just read the account in Genesis, read Paul's citing it in Hebrews, you now are DENYING that God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? THE BIBLE ITSELF makes it clear that family members are dispoable, and God DEMANDS to be placed at the top of the loyalty priority list. Jesus SAID he came to tear families apart, not to bring family unity. Did you miss that part, too?

Sometimes I think you are arguing just for the sake of it. I did not deny that at all. It is the connection that you are drawing between Abraham... and the Jw's... and some offer of a proxy family/child to replace the one sacrificed... that I am denying. Besides that:

A) I don't follow the bible; I follow Christ.

B) Familes are torn because some follow lies, and some truth. Some would turn on those who follow Christ (and that did happen) Christ never said that those who follow Him should kick their familiy members out... or even that they would do so... just the opposite. Those who follow Him would be persecuted, thrown out of the synagogue, turned in to the 'authorities', etc. When JW's do these things to their family members, they are fulfilling what Christ said people would do to those who belong to Him.

Your voice of Jesus (who has the power to resurrect) asks you to kill someone; no details are given. The act might be a demonstration of the greatest love of all on your behalf, i.e. laying down your own life to save others, since you don't know the outcome and you might be killed. Thus, it has to be completed as a matter of faith.
    What do you do? Adamah
    Re-read my response to the first time you asked. The resurrection is not a new element to your question, and my response hasn't changed... and I'm not going to repeat myself. Just go ahead and re-read... tec.
    A simple yes or no would suffice.

You did not ask a yes or no question.

You're not shying away from an opportunity to DEMONSTRATE your faith, or are you questioning the patently-obvious immorality of the answer all believers know you MUST profess?

Once again re-read my earlier response. It is right there in black and white; hasn't changed. Anyone at all can read it for themselves... and see me 'demonstration of faith' as you are calling it. I could get the link if you like, but even that is here in this thread.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Once again re-read my earlier response. It is right there in black and white; hasn't changed. Anyone at all can read it for themselves... and see me 'demonstration of faith' as you are calling it. I could get the link if you like, but even that is here in this thread.

Ok, I found it in the other thread. Here was my question, and your answer:

Adam asked:

You are COMMANDED by Jesus (you ARE his slave, after all, right? Isn't that what you claim?) to prevent an act of violence that potentially would kill the suicide bomber AND many others, since the bomber is planning to self-detonate on a bus loaded with 100 innocent children. You are ordered to prevent this horrific event by TACKLING THE BOMBER just moments before they board the bus, potentially killing yourself, but leaving everyone else ALIVE, INCLUDING the would-be suicide bomber. Yes, you MAY die, but you WILL prevent major bloodshed, and having the FAITH that if you should die, the decision of whether you earn resurrection as your reward is placed into God's hands. By engaging in this act, YOU are following Jesus' greatest command: "Love has no greater act than this: that one lay down one's own life for another".
    So, what do you do? Do you follow Jesus' ORDERS on FAITH that God will provide? Or do you hem-haw, ask a bunch of other questions, and insist that Jesus pick someone else for the task, since your FAITH is all about what Jesus does for YOU (how it makes you FEEL) doesn't include actually taking any kind of action on your part ("faith without works is dead", and all that)?

TEC said:

I still do not think He would ORDER me to do this... over showing me what was going to happen (in which case I could then ASK what He wanted me to do about it)

But in this scenario, I can go along with the 'what if' and say that yes, I would.

OK, and what if God asked YOU to kill your child simply on faith, as God had commanded Abraham to do?

(And don't hem-and-haw with the "God wouldn't order me to do that" excusiology, as God clearly DID order Abraham to kill Isaac, and Abraham relied on FAITH in God to carry it out, such that God was convinced Abraham would've done so. Remember, prescient Jehovah KNOWS the future).

Do you comply with the Divine order or not?

or ?

What kind of a God demands the blood of an innocent be spilled?

(BTW, I don't care if you don't answer, since it's none of my business WHAT you do or think. However, I DO think it's important to CONSIDER the moral implications of professing your faith actually are, if you're not contemplating it already.)

Adam

• mP
    mP

TEC

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. ( Mark 16:17-18 )

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. ( Luke 10:19 )

Words and typing here is cheap. Where is your faith TEC ?

• tec
    tec

Adamah, I don't need to contemplate anything. I know. If you can't hear my answer in anything that I have written previously, including your VERY scenario (I mean, come on... if I wouldn't kill a perfect stranger, and I would know that my Lord is not TELLING me to do so... you think any of my answers are going to change if it is my own flesh and blood? Maybe YOU should think a little more, instead of continuing to try and trip me up, thinking I'm going to dig myself into some moral hole. I know my Lord, Adamah... and so I can know God. It is you who does not know the one, and so you cannot know the other... at least not until you look to Christ FIRST, to reveal to you His Father, as the Truth, Word, and Image of God)

peace,

tammy

• mP
    mP

TEC:

Good to see you ignore a real test of faith ;/

• adamah
    adamah

Sigh.... You've only managed to muddy the waters, since DESPITE my asking for a straight-forward non-ambiguous answer to confirm, you refused, and now are seemingly flip-flopping!

TEC just said above-

Adamah, I don't need to contemplate anything. I know. If you can't hear my answer in anything that I have written previously, including your VERY scenario (I mean, come on... if I wouldn't kill a perfect stranger, and I would know that my Lord is not TELLING me to do so... you think any of my answers are going to change if it is my own flesh and blood?

Your answer, from the prior thread:

So, what do you do? Do you follow Jesus' ORDERS on FAITH that God will provide? Or do you hem-haw, ask a bunch of other questions, and insist that Jesus pick someone else for the task, since your FAITH is all about what Jesus does for YOU (how it makes you FEEL) doesn't include actually taking any kind of action on your part ("faith without works is dead", and all that)?

TEC said:

I still do not think He would ORDER me to do this... over showing me what was going to happen (in which case I could then ASK what He wanted me to do about it)

But in this scenario, I can go along with the 'what if' and say that yes, I would.

So which is it? Do you kill the "perfect stranger" (as you put it) under orders from Jesus (and a simple one word answer of YES or NO will suffice)?

Then, you can answer the same question, but for a family member. Or not.

BTW, my question above ("What kind of a God demands the blood of an innocent be spilled?") is taken from a book called "The Bible According to Noah: Theology as if Animals Mattered", written by Reverend Gary Kowalski, a Unitarian minister recounting his own experience of horror as a child hearing the tale of Abraham sacrificing his son, Isaac, for the first time. Kowalski cites the work of psychologist Stanley Milgram on his study of compliance to authority figures, and rewrites the account, except from the perspective of Abraham considering the morality of slaughtering the proxy ram which God provided, and refusing to sacrifice it. Rev Kowalski never answers the very question he raises, though, but instead leaves it at, "I have faith in the questions".

Adam

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Hopefully no one will be mad at me when I double post this "faith - evidence" article:

Logical thinking and common sense is therefore something totally different that human thinking. That was a surprise for me.

• This_suit_doesnt_fit
    This_suit_doesnt_fit

If anyone is hearing voices in their head, they are always mentally ill. It does not matter if that person claims the voice is God, Jesus, or the neighbor's dog. That is NOT spirituality, that is pyschosis!

Tec, get medical help before you hurt someone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit