If you don't believe in God where do you get the strength to cope?

by Miss.Fit 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Google "Desiderata" and read it. It says that "you are a child of the universe, the same as the flowers and the trees; you have a right to be here. At the end, it says that "despite of all the sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world. Strive to be happy."

Are you doing things to make yourself happy? Is there something you would like to learn and enjoy doing? Playing music? Sewing or knitting? Writing? Taking classes at your local college? The world is full of possibilities. Join a club or just drop in at your community center and see what activities they have. Exercise is especially good for depression.

If you need to pray, just do it. Whether anyone is listening or not, you will unburden yourself of your anxiety.

Best wishes for a happier future.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Dear one,

go to a doctor right away and tell the doctor how you feel. You need some rest, some good counseling, and maybe some meds. You have a loving family, don't deprive them of someone they love. What I found out years ago when I was seriously depressed is that you can get so low that you can't recover on your own. You have to have help from a doctor. It sounds as though you might be at that point. Go to the doctor, get a physical exam, tell the doctor how you feel, get some meds to help you through this time and get some counseling so you won't ever get this low again.

• clarity
    clarity

MissFit .......... a few years ago, it was very 'in' to have a

Gratefullness Diary and write a least one thing everyday, that

you are gratefull for.

>

Start with your hubby perhaps, be grateful that you are warm

and safe at night, with him watching over you. Love him more

for that. You are one of the lucky ones.

>

Every day do this ...... I am grateful for ______________________!

>

At the end of 30 days you will feel much better ... that was a promise!

>

So, it is not nessessarily praying to an invisable god that helps,

but really looking at your exquisit "blessings" that you have right

now, that you can depend on.

Good luck!

clarity

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Thank you everyone for your encouragement.

I have felt invisible most of my life. Its ironic that people that cant see have reached out and made me feel visible if even for a while.

Clarity..I will try to remember to find things to be grateful for.

You guys will be on top of the list.

I have been rereading the posts when I am feeling down. It has helped me.

Missy

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

MissFit, You ARE courageous, your husband knows it, your daughter knows it. She wants you to share in her life. Be there for her to cheer her on, with school, with her job, husband, home, grandchildren. You need a TEMPORARY rest, to get over the shocks/abuse in your life............PM me if you like. I live in The North Pacific. Just Lois

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Lois you are the courageous one. I know you have been through so much. I admire your spirit. You give me hope.

I found out my older sister is being investigsted for an unsolved 30 year double homicide.

She had a horrible childhood. I dont think she did it but I think she witnessed something.

I made through today. Thanks.Tomorrow is another day.

My plan: get up, take kids to school, go to work, call dr. for appt.

Im thinking of asking for time off but Im afraid of the time alone.

Things im grateful for: my husband, my kids

Im off to bed...thanks for seeing me...

.for acknowledging my existence. Sometimes I think I am the figment of my own imagination.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Hi Miss.fit,

Glad you are reaching out. Good advice so far about getting checked out by a Dr. straight away. Depression is insidious, do not trust your thoughts when you are in a low mood. You are hugely mistaken to think your daughter can do without you. That's the depression talking and nothing else. Ending your life would ruin hers. She'd have to carry this with her forever and explain it to her children one day and to everyone new she gets to know. When people kill themselves, they not only miss out on the rest of their lives but they take a whole lot of others with them. Despite what your brain is telling you, our daughter (for one) needs you and loves you. She will benefit from seeing you, despite your condition, soldiering on as you have been and she is absolutely right, looking at a puppy website or anything that is a comfort to you or makes you smile, will be helpful. Your thoughts produce emotions and chemical reactions in the brain. Anything you can do to help produce the good ones will bring you closer to being well. Exercise of any type or any duration is beneficial (although it's probably the last thing you want to do when you're depressed) Even a short walk around the block can short circuit your negative feelings rather than let them snowball into a full on slump. Stay away from the News, reading the Newspaper or any intake of information that is not positive or upbuilding(garbage in garbage out). Doing so would be much like someone with a fractured foot, going on a long walk carrying a suitcase and a watermelon. Yes, they might be able to pull it off, but they would suffer a great setback towards their ultimate healing. A person with a fractured foot may be able to walk, but they shouldn't be carrying any unnecessary burdens while they are healing.

Studies have shown that there is a positive response in the brains of those while they pray. Certain mood centers are lit up while praying much as they are while meditating. If you don't know how to meditate, I'd say go ahead and pray. Instead of complaining to (God, the universe or whoever) asking for help the whole time, it might be helpful to say what you are grateful for (your daughter, the warm shower you had today, the fact that you have a job, your husband etc.) Also rather than entertaining your negative thoughts as they occur to you, learn to catch yourself doing this. Dismiss unhelpful thoughts, shoo them away like flies at a picnic. Set aside a certain time once a day to write your thoughts down on paper, so you can get them out of your head. This may help you avoid ruminating on those things that produce unwanted brain chemicals.

If you can remember that all of our feelings are caused by thoughts and that you have absolute control over what you think about, you will realize that your happiness is an inside job. Also, your life is not an emergency but the pain of depression and anxiety causes one to feel as if it is and that it will take desperate measures to free ones self of it's pain...NOW. This is where the thought of dying comes in and starts to look like a good option. To have been carrying this around for as long as you have, you are stronger than you probably realize. A lot of people would have crumpled under the weight of it long ago. You no doubt have a coping/survival routine for yourself already but maybe your could add the following two (feel good) things to it.

Print this out and carry it with you.

http://www.warmfuzzy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Just-for-Today.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttF5HVYtlQ

• whathappened
    whathappened

I had a rough time transitioning to an atheist. My heart didn't want to give up god.

After a while I just accepted it. Live each day to the full.

• new22day
    new22day

Aw Miss Fit, my heart is SO with you right now. Suicidal thoughts generally mean you have depression and depression is a serious (yet, very treatable) condition - it just takes time. Six months or so I had such a hard time just getting out of bed to go to work. It was awful and I couldn't see a way out of the darkness. Friends and family gave me all kinds of advice - eat healthy, excercise, get out of the house etc. (all good things that help) but I was struggling to just get to work each day and the extra 'to dos' overwhelmed me.

Talk to your doctor candidly like you have with us. She may offer you meds and they can help, though it can take a little time for you to notice the results. A little excercise can really help too if you can find a way to make that happen. The important thing is to do just what you're doing and seek help and talk to people. You are not invisible and you're not alone. People do love and care about you, more than you know!

I had a few more obstacles appear (had a bad accident and injury, which resulted in leaving my job but in the end that has been good for me) -- through all of that I came out of the darkness. I still have blue days but I have the strength to cope again. I shudder to remember how low I felt just a few months ago -- I just want you to understand and believe that it does get better and you will find yourself and happy feelings again. Be easy on yourself and hang in there.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I have the most wonderful non-witness/exjw friends that support me through my tough times.

As a witness I didn't cope but that's because I was completely alone.

Posting here helps and facebook. With the internet you are never alone and there are wonderful people always willing to help.

Whatever you are going through chances are some-one walked there before you and survived so can help you to as well.

Sometimes just knowing there are people who care and want you to succeed gets you through, bit like god but they exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit