If you don't believe in God where do you get the strength to cope?

by Miss.Fit 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

She wants to check my thyroid. (I heard thyroid problems can cause apostacy lol)

Missy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good job on the doctor. She's ruling out the simple physical causes. The meds will take a while to take effect, but it sounds by taking some positive steps you are already feeling better.

• adamah
    adamah

Missfit said-

I made through today.

Yup, that's all any of us do: take it one day at a time, and if you did it today, you can do it tomorrow....

Adam

• smiddy
    smiddy

Dear Miss. Fit

Think about what you are asking . ( CRITICAL THINKING ABILITY) Which God are you referring to ? I assume you are reffering to the christian God .

Stop and think though , where do you think muslims get their strength to cope .?
    where do you think hindus get their strength to cope ?

where do you think non christians that make up a third of the worlds population get their strength to cope.?

By all means keep searching Miss,fit and utilise this site as it is a goldmine of truth.

Smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Watchtower God was going to murder me bacause I hadn't joined his church. I needed strength to cope with that much more than I need strength to cope with the realisation that he was just the invention of some Yankee Doomsday nutter.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Smiddy: I meant any higher power. Many on this board do not believe in a supreme being. Especially one that takes an interest in us. I understand there are other beliefs. But what if the belief is that there is nothing directing us or available to give us streghth or peace of mind.

I always turned to prayer in the past. I used to take such comfort in the psalms. It comforted me to know I could ask for gods spirit for strength and guidance.

So I started thinking..if a person does not believe in a higher power .. and they have a crisis-

What gets them through it? Do they cope better now believing no one is there to answer their prayers. Or did they feel better when they thought some one was listening?

My daughter said that maybe it is easier to accept bad things when you believe everything is random without as purpose. You dont have to wonder why god let bad things happen or why he didn't help. You would just know stuff happens and then you die.

Missy

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Black sheep.. but where did you get that strength ? And once you decided that murderous WT god did not exist did why did you need to cope. Did you mean you had to cope with the lies you were told?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is a lot easier to deal with the notion that there is no killer god spying on you and your church's designated 'sins' 24/7 from outer space than it is to deal with the notion that our parents have been scammed by Doomsday nutters and their delusions.

I always saw religion as a crutch, even as a teen. I never felt I needed that crutch. Realising that there was no god watching my waking moments was a weight lifted, not a burden.

• cofty
    cofty

Your daughter is very wise.

I'm glad to hear your doctor is being helpful. You will get better!

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Cofty... we were actually talking about you. I was telling her about people I had "met" on this site. And I told her about you. How you dint believe in god but now was facing a crisis. And thats when she made that coment. I was trying to wrap my brain around the idea that there was nobody directing anything. So there would be comfort in knowing that there was not anything personal in the misfortunes that come our way.

By the way it is funny you would mention how wise my daughter is......everytime we discuss evolution she has made the same points you have or agreed with you. I keep telling her.. thats what he said.

Missy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit