If you don't believe in God where do you get the strength to cope?

by Miss.Fit 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Missy, I forgot to tell you something that may be of interest to you. I was on prescription antidepressants for over 20 years And I never took them until I came into the religion. Last year I was doing pretty well before we faded so I went off of them and got on to a natural antidepressant about the time we started to fade. I have felt better than I have in 30 years. Going to the meeting ruined my mental and physical health. Once we faded I felt like a new person and no longer need these very strong drugs to help me. I hope the same things will happen to you.

It really is amazing what the control of this religion does to your mental and physical health. Keep at it and you will soon be ion a better path I life.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

This is an old topic but I still think it is what is a t the root of a lot of JW's trouble with depression etc.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Thank you xyz .. your post gave me a lot to think about. I never thought about how much energy it takes to try took. My life did revolve around trying to make god happy and feeling guilty for falling short.

I have been struggling most of my adult life to serve god. Something inside me would rebel and I would go inactive. Then I would fe guilty and I would try again. I guess I knew deep down but refused to acknowledge something wasnt right.

Aunt fancy: maybe this time I can break away.Talking to my daughter has helped alot. She does not talk WT. She talks logic and has been helping me see thingz differently. She swears she wasnt on this site. But she sure ends up saying the same thing Ive been reading here.

Thank you for your encouragement Lois.

I ve been feeling a little better since I started the meds. I reread the posts when I feel down.

Thanks for being there for me everyone.

Missy

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

You are quite welcome, Miss.Fit.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

All morality and ethics are based on compassion, which exists whether I believe in God or not. Our purpose is to reduce the worst kinds of suffering and build up from there. I don't need to be in fear of eternal death at Armageddon or eternal suffering in hellfire to be good to others. All I need is empathy and compassion, which are universal human traits irrespective of religious belief.

I also believe in a thing called love, and science. The human race is on the verge of incredible advances in medical science and longevity since mapping the human genome. It's only a matter of time before major diseases are mostly eliminated,and the human life-span starts to really elongate. Google it. It won't happen in my life-time or probably my grandkids lifetime, but it will happen eventually. One day humans will be living for hundreds of years, not decades only.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Good Morning Miss Fit.

Perfect 1: how? Within what?

When you look back on this time, you may realize that you WERE strong even though you right now you dont FEEL strong.

Within yourself of course.

for most people GOD is an external being, outside of yourself, that you need to pray to, thank, and avoid angering. Maybe there is an intermediary like Jesus or the Governing Body or the Holy Spirit. Honestly I dont mind if that works for you or anyone else, but it NEVER worked for me.

I understand you feel like a shell. I guess that means empty inside. In some case empty inside could be an ideal state of mind, but I am guessing for you this is a painful hollow numb feeling.

My advice to you, then, is to try to find some spark within yourself that feels authentic and real. The spark could be something you have always wanted, something that makes you happy, something that makes you really angry, but more than the thing, it is a feeling that burns a little, and has the potential to get bigger.

I do a form of mindfulness meditation that has given me a lot of strength in life, and meditation doesnt have to be religious, nor does it open you up to demons and whatever else the JWs say.

As someone who was born in and indoctrinated, I still have the effects of being a JW embedded in me- despite the fact that I have moved on with my life, met personal goals, etc. For one thing, I find it difficult to imagine the future. I find it difficult to imagine being happy.

Actually, I am very happy, and I am so content in my life I am honestly surprised every single day just because I taught that there was no future for me or anyone else and that happiness is not possible in this world.

So: my point is this: even if you are incapable as I am of imagining a happy future for yourself, KnoW that it does exist, and it is possible for you.

On a practical level, you could start to INVEST IN YOURSELF. Add value to your life buy pursuing an interest, taking a class, doing some soul searchign to examine what you might want to do with this life which will unfold before you.

The sad, sad fact is that the faithful JW spends his or her life waiting for an empty promise, and sacrifices all and everyone to a future which never comes, and is then shocked by the lonely, tedious future which does.

Learning to work with this life you have now and enrich it is the biggest challenge, and one I wish you luck and encouragement in.

My main point::

IMAGINE YOURSELF HAPPY

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Jehos re establish my ego about every week without even trying....FOR the record. I believe in god. I accept jesus as my personal savior.... and think he's got a lot of good shit to say....and jeho's can pound sand.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

I have found this discussion very enlightening and encouraging. I appreciate the different viewpoints.

It has given me much to think about.

Yada:empathy and compassion not fear. Its funny , I always thought the "truth" was supposed to free us from fear. I never realised how big of a part fear played in my life as a JW.

Perfect 1: I am glad you are happy. I know what you mean about not seeing a future. I always figured I would die at the big A.

Planning for a future is a new concept. I will need to think about my passion and spark.

Right now I am doing one day at time.

Missy

• mP
    mP

miss Fit:

theres no hope in a lie like the bible. Lies that god loves you, lies that god loves everyone. Read the bible its quite clear none of those are true.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

I made it to the middle of the week. Yay.

Going in for some lab work today.

Still working on the finding strength in side me thing.

We were taught not to rely on ourselves.

Missy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit