If you don't believe in God where do you get the strength to cope?

by Miss.Fit 151 Replies latest jw friends

• jhine
    jhine

Way to go Narcissistic .

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Just checking in, Missy. The journey to enlightenment is not unlike running a gauntlet. You get beat up along the way, sometimes by your own stumbling, and you emerge wounded and bleeding. It gets better. It takes time to think things through, as you shall. Hang in there.

"Thus, dear reader, if you have come this far and found your own faith undermined—as I hope—I am willing to say that to some extent I know what you are going through. There are days when I miss my old convictions as if they were an amputated limb. But in general I feel better, and no less radical, and you will feel better too, I guarantee, once you leave hold of the doctrinaire and allow your chainless mind to do its own thinking."

Christopher Hitchens, at the conclusion of Chapter Ten, The Tawdriness of the Miraculous and the decline of Hell, God is not Great.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If I dont believe in WHICH "god" do you mean?

Look at all the different civilisations in history and alll the gods they prayed to?

So it seems like the more you belive in the particular '''IMAGINARY FRIEND" your culture believes in the more strength you have to cope - even if Zeus or Ashtoreth is just a lie created by gangsta priests to sucker you - Like the Witchtower Babble and Trash Suckerciety does now.

Millions of people lived and live happy lives in the far east, without the so called comforts of monotheistic religions, which seem to cause more trouble and bloodshed than any others - but then they worship a homicidal sadistic sociopath.

We really get our strength to cope from within...

HB

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Nickolas: thank you for thinking about me. Your comments really helped me and made me think.

You were right I was depressed. I have been on meds and they seem to be helping.

I realise I have plenty of time to research and think things through. I am keeping an open mind and am trying to be open to new possibilities and ideas.

I am paying more attention to my health. I am feeling more optimistic about life.

I am postponing any big changes and decisions for a while. Right now I am taking your advice and am working on getting to know myself.

You are right..it is a slow process and sometimes painful.

Hamsterbait: finding strength within is easier said than done.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Miss-Fit - I have been following your story and glad to hear you seem to be getting back on track and dealing with your depression. Good work and keep it up. cheers Frazzled

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Thanks frazzled. It helped to be able to talk to others who understood.

Missy

• MissFit
    MissFit

Pardon my new hideous make over. I am doing better than I look! Lol.

I just wanted to give a brief update and also thank everyone for their kind responses when I was feeling down.

I am still processing many of the things I have learned on this site.

I am still seperating what I thought I was supposed to believe and what I really think.

I have found that I am slowly shedding the guilt and feeling of worthlessness.

I have not been to a meeting since my OP.

That includes assemblies and the memorial.

I am currently working on reestablishing a relationship with my nonjw sister.

I have taken a lot of your advice to heart and have been applying some of them. It is freeing not to look over my shoulder afraid of stumbling someone.

I am still growing and learning. I am now going to work on making new friends.* Crossing fingers*

Miss.Fit

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Congrats! Its hard at times but keep on going!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Wow, way to go!!!

I am proud of you for shedding the guilt, that is my personal weekness, I feel guilty for everything, I don't know why. It's hard to stop and it can ruin your life. Just when I think I am OK, it sneaks up on me.

Guilt has its place, if you do wrong, you should feel guilty, but too much is bad for you. Staying away from the meetings will help, they are pretty much designed for making you feel guilty.

Good luck with making friends, you need that.

Lisa

• MissFit
    MissFit

Update: I got a new avatar! I upgraded to gangsters piglet because I feel edgier.

No more miss nice pigglet.

I'm done with the guilt and looking over my shoulder in case I offend someone.

I'm done with fearing for my children's lives because we aren't following the org.

I am in a better place now compared to when I started this thread.

I am still exploring my beliefs and preconceptions.

I am discovering new "truths" slowly but surely.

I am still working on making new friends, but I think that is more of a personality issue. I am shy and introverted.

I am starting to understand the effect my JW upbringing had on my self-image.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice.

Miss.Fit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit