Upcoming KM!! Why we are not False Prophets!

by DATA-DOG 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin
    Upcoming KM!! Why we are not False Prophets!

Should more correctly read:

Why 'We Think' We Are Not False Prophets
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Interestingly, the phrase " within our twentieth century " appears only once in the CD Library. How long before this reference is removed?

It may not be removed, but most assuredly will be changed to "overlapping 20th century".

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Remember this?

WT January 1st 1989 :

Missionaries to the Nations

7 The preaching work, which had gathered momentum after the martyrdom of Stephen, now took on a different dimension. With the exception of the apostles, the congregation in Jerusalem had scattered. At first, those persecuted Jewish believers preached only to Jews in Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch. "However, . . . some men of Cyprus and Cyrene . . . began talking to the Greek-speaking people, declaring the good news of the Lord Jesus." How did Jehovah view this missionary activity to the nations? "The hand of Jehovah was with them, and a great number that became believers turned to the Lord." Thanks to the boldness of those early Christians, effective missionary activity was beginning to spread in the lands around the Mediterranean. But more was yet to come.-Acts 4:31; 8:1; 11:19-21.

8 About 47-48 C.E., God, through holy spirit, indicated a decisive move for the expansion of the missionary work. The record at Acts 13:2-4 tells us: "The holy spirit said: 'Of all persons set Barnabas and Saul apart for me for the work to which I have called them.' . . . Accordingly these men, sent out by the holy spirit, went down to Seleucia [the seaport of Syrian Antioch], and from there they sailed away to Cyprus." How thrilling that must have been for Paul and Barnabas-sailing to their first foreign assignment! The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day.

I have a PDF of the original, but I don't know how to share it. The original says " a work that would be completed in our 20th century."

• wasblind
    wasblind

IS IT LATER THAN YOU THINK ?

Is time running out for this generation ?

What will the 70's bring ?_______Awake Oct 8 , 1968

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The different things that were said, taught, i don't feel can be looked at in isolation. when my parents got the truth in the late 50's the idea which i understand from the Watchtower of January 15th 1970 was suggested in 1925, was that the Great Tribulation had started in 1914 and been cut short in the midde and would resume again soon. This I believe was like the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem in 66 AD and withdrawing returning in 70 to destroy Jerusalem.

In the late 60's we had a calendar. if I remember right, with the picture of those leaving Jerusalem , lift up your heads for you deliverance has drawn near, or something like that, i think. We had the truth book and the 6 months study, we had the information about 1975, the generation that was really my grandfathers generation was really getting old which would not pass away. I was raised in this enviroment.

When the elders came to see me after i had to make repeated requests for them over six months I tried to explain how I felt that these things had influenced my decisions about education and why I left school and pioneered. They told me it was nothing to do with the Society but was mine and my parents alone.

It's true I made the decisions about what to do based on things i had been taught as a child by those who claim to be the faithful slave handing out the food at the proper time. I feel I had faith in the teachings that i shared in the witness work. I understood that central to christianity is the resurrection of Christ.

'Further if Christ has not been raised up your faith is useless' 1Corthinians 15:17 NWT

A little further on Paul tells us,

'If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied' 1 Corthinians 15:19 NWT

But I believe it's impossible to please God without faith so how important it is that this is true otherwise our faith would be damaged.

In the book Man's Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand (Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania 1975) says this on Page 28/29

The fact of the matter is, that, if the Messiah Jesus were not raised from the dead to heavenly life, ther would be no future "resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15) So much depended upon Messiah's resurrection, and the apostle Paul had suffered so much persuction for preaching it, that if Paul were a liar , then, as he wrote: "in fact, aslso, those who fell asleep in death in union with Christ perished. If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied." (1Corinthians 15:18,19) So, too, with our generation in this twentieth century. After all that we have gone through since 1914, our generation would be, of all generations, the "most to be pitied."

I read this as tying the understanding of the generation that will not pass away to what the apostle Paul was saying in regard to the resurrection of Christ and the hope based on our faith in this. I had faith in the things that we preached.

I feel I was misled not by one individual idea but by a whole group of teachings that were there in my childhood, maybe I am wrong and misunderstood it or misread something. However i feel that I that it was a group of teachings at a particular time that together came together that led to my decisions in life and most of these have now been disgarded and I feel fortunate that I haven't lost my faith and my hope based on the Christ.

• mP
    mP

Interestingly, the phrase " within our twentieth century " appears only once in the CD Library. How long before this reference is removed?

MP: Th e catholic churches said jesus was born 2013 years ago, this is obviously the work of Satan. We are actually 1913 years since his birth. Next year is 1914, all hail Daniel, Magog and Ashura.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    They told me it was nothing to do with the Society but was mine and my parents alone.

This has been the historical tactic of the WT.

Whatever it teaches, no matter how flimsy the foundation, must be accepted as "truth" by every JW. If you question it you 'lack faith'.

When you faithfully follow the counsel from "god's organization", and the entire teaching is later revealed as false, but it results in harm to yourself or your family, then the Org. will say they never said it, and any decisions you made based on the doctrine were a "misunderstanding" on your part.

It's a classic example of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. WT is never wrong.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

bookmarked

• VM44
    VM44

'If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied' 1 Corthinians 15:19 NWT

I do not understand what Paul means by "We are of all men most to be pitied"

Perhaps someone could explain that more clearly?

• apocalypse
    apocalypse

I got baptised in February, right after that article. A bunch of us did. The end was nigh, so very nigh. Ahhh...

I actually have three copies of the original study article from Jan 1, 89. Underlined from that Sunday morning study.

I have the elders visiting very soon for a "meeting".... let's see what they have to say. But, I will, off the cuff, throw it out there that 'we expected the preaching to be done 13 years ago'... I will bait them.

I hope they take the bait.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit