Upcoming KM!! Why we are not False Prophets!

by DATA-DOG 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This subject is coming up this month in the TMS. I just thought I would start a post for newbies or lurkers. If you have any scans of the Awake inside cover that would be awesome. This would be a great time to review the facts. Plus I thought a nice orderly thread with the facts could be linked to past posts as well.

From the Reasoning book:

False Prophets

Definition: Individuals and organizations proclaiming messages that they attribute to a superhuman source but that do not originate with the true God and are not in harmony with his revealed will.

Have not Jehovah's Witnesses made errors in their teachings?

Jehovah's Witnesses do not claim to be inspired prophets. They have made mistakes. Like the apostles of Jesus Christ, they have at times had some wrong expectations.-Luke 19:11; Acts 1:6.

From Watchman Fellowship: http://www.watchman.org/articles/jehovahs-witnesses/did-the-watchtower-society-predict-2000-for-armageddon/

James K. Walker

The Jehovah's Witnesses entered the year 2000 with a different kind of Y2K problem. Exactly eleven years earlier the Watchtower leaders told Jehovah's Witnesses that the Christian missionary work begun by Paul in the Bible would be completed by the end of the 20thCentury - or did they? It would all depend on which version of The Watchtower you read.

The January 1, 1989 Watchtower clearly pointed to the year 2000as the farthest limit of Christian missionary work and thus the beginning of the thousand-year reign of Christ. It stated, "The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." 1

If that missionary work was to "be completed in our 20th Century" then the door-to-door missionary activities should have ceased no later than December 31, 1999. When the missionary work has ceased, Jehovah's Witnesses know that Armageddon begins followed immediately by the 1,000-year reign of Christ on earth. Those who more accurately measure the 20th Century can give the Society twelve more months - to December 31, 2000. Either way, in 1989 the Society was clearly limiting the remaining time before the end of missionary activity to eleven or twelve years at most.

About a year later, however, the Watchtower Society altered the article in the bound volume version of the publication removing the time limitation.The bound volume of the same article states "The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day." 2

Notice that unlike "in our 20th Century," the phrase "in our day" is sufficiently vague as to avoid being tested according to Deuteronomy 18:20-22. 3 It also may be significant to note that the unbound version is the one studied by the Jehovah's Witnesses in their weekly meetings and distributed door-to-door. The bound volumes did not become available until over a year later and are often used as permanent references.

Deut 18:20-22 " "'However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him."

How could all the changing teachings, and outright flip-flops be inspired of God? If there is anything you want to contribute, please do, and thanks in advance.

DD

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Thank you for posting this!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Actually, the twentieth century did not end until 31 December 2000. The twenty-first century began on 1 January 2001, as you have noted. Be that as it may, your point is still valid. We are now in the thirteenth year of the twenty-first century with no end to the world in sight. But the WTS isn’t about to remind its followers about yet another failed prediction. Instead, they will point forward to some nebulous time when The End™ will finally arrive. If the past is any indication, the rank-and-file will go along with this just as they did when hopes went unfulfilled in 1914, 1925 and 1975.

Quendi

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yeah one minute were prophets then another minute goes by and were not then we are then were not just like thier new light. Its light , its dark, its light, its dark.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Another bookmark added. Thanks DD. I hope one day I get to use these.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Should read!! Why we are not batshit crazy!

• jhine
    jhine

thank you for this post , I had no idea about the 2000 date . I thought that 1975 was the last predicted date . I did have a witness tell me last year that the org were no longer in the business of making predictions because " It says in the Bible that no one knows the hour or the day " !!!! She looked a little shame faced when I asked if they had only just found this in the Bible , cus I thought that it had been there all along !

They seem to go back and forth between claiming to be inspired and then just being fallable men , I suppose according to the situaton at the time .

The are however still holding the" Armageddon is coming SOON" sword over the heads of the r&f aren't they , to keep order in the ranks .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Interesting point Jhine, "They seem to go back and forth between claiming to be inspired and then just being fallable men , I suppose according to the situaton at the time . "

That is exactly what they do, but it is either one or the other, either they are simply men, making it up as they go along, or they are "God's Channel" as they often have claimed. If they really were the latter, necessarily they would have to have inspiration, God "breathing" His thoughts in to them.

What proof is there that God "breathed" any thought in to them , inspired them, ever ?

If you ask this, they then fall back on the need for "loyalty", ( a circular argument as usual), but why should one be loyal to a group of failed prophets, the Bible clearly commands us not to !

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Out of interest, has anyone ever written or contacted the WT direct and asked them why they changed/falsified this in the bound volumes?

Just wondered what they'd say.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

DATA-DOG (quoting Reasoning from the Scriptures):

They have made mistakes. Like the apostles of Jesus Christ, they have at times had some wrong expectations.

They actually employ an appeal to authority about 'the apostles' to 'justify' their errors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit