4 sincere questions for those that believe there is a God

by S EIGHT 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poopieskoopie
    poopieskoopie

I personally believe there is 'something' out there, even if we are only an 'experiment' being conducted by a higher form of intelligence that isn't perfect either. I just want them to reveal themselves......and admit they f'd up a few things.

• titch
    titch

Well, if you believe in, or subscribe to, the mindset of Rick Warren, the pastor of Saddleback Church in Southern California (Lake Forest, exactly), then you'll attribute this incident to "God's master plan" for those two boys, to have their demise in that way. Warren wrote a popular book, several years ago, entitled "A Purpose Driven Life." And, in that book, it says this: "Because God made you for a reason, he also decided when you would be born and how long you would live. He planned the days of your life in advance, choosing the exact time of your birth and death. The Bible says: 'You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breath Every day was recorded in your book.' [Psalm 139:16]"

So, according to this line of reasoning---and there are many persons who subscribe to it---then it was all part of God's master plan for those two boys, to have their lives end in that way. God knew how long they would live, and the means by which they would die. If a person has that particular mindset, then they might as well believe in "fate" or "destiny".

Now. do I believe in that philosophy as propounded by Rick Warren, of the Saddleback Church? No, I don't. I don't believe at all that "god" planned out any human being's life, (including mine) as to when they would be born, and when they would demise. I don't even belive that "god" planned any person's conception, either.

Titch

• sir82
    sir82
    As long as man has free will and chooses to use that free will to ignore God... to make decisions for his own benefit at the expense of others... then we will have the very world that we DO have right now.

So if I use my free will to ignore God, I will inevitably screw up my life?

How "free" is that free will?

Seems about as "free" as the will I have when a mugger holds a pistol to my head and demands my money. I'm perfectly "free" to refuse - but I will suffer the consequences.

So God is, morally, the equivalent of a punk with a gun to my head?

• Ding
    Ding
    So if I use my free will to ignore God, I will inevitably screw up my life? How "free" is that free will? Seems about as "free" as the will I have when a mugger holds a pistol to my head and demands my money. I'm perfectly "free" to refuse - but I will suffer the consequences. So God is, morally, the equivalent of a punk with a gun to my head?

Free will doesn't mean lack of consequences.

If I decide to sleep around and ruin my marriage, does that mean that my spouse was a punk with a gun to my head?

• wasblind
    wasblind

What a non believer accomplishes is to remove or seriously erase a lot of that deep hardwired belief structure. Because at a certain point, rediscovering our free will, one must evaluate there belief in god, the bible etc. The nonbeliever reaches a level where they can, if they choose, simply dismiss belief in a higher power and disengage.____Giordano

Good points through your post Giordano , Thanks for the clarity on freewill

• wasblind
    wasblind

Free will doesn't mean lack of consequences. ___Ding

• tec
    tec

What Ding said. I don't understand why some people think that free will means no consequences.

So if I use my free will to ignore God, I will inevitably screw up my life?

Your life?

Maybe, depending upon what you ignored.

I mean... ignore 'do not murder'... and you have screwed up your life AND many others' lives, all in one go.

I have not listened to Christ before... and have made things harder for myself, and others. Not because He is punishing me... but because HE knew the best way for me to handle a given situation, and so told me (in spirit), but I went my own way instead and made things harder.

Peace,t

ammy

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

tec:

I mean... ignore 'do not murder'... and you have screwed up your life AND many others' lives, all in one go.

'God' isn't the source of laws about not murdering people. Quite early on in human society, it was recognised that mutual trust is beneficial in human social groups, and going around murdering people disrupts that trust. Of course that doesn't mean no one will ever murder anyone, because an individual's own motivations sometimes outweigh the social construct. It's nothing to do with 'God'.

The 'God' of the Bible is purportedly responsible for instructing people to murder though.

• tec
    tec

God' isn't the source of laws about not murdering people.

God IS love... and love is the source of such laws.

Love of course existed long before laws that stem from love were ever written down, for people who did not have those laws written upon their hearts.

Some people, Jeffro, just dont' have it in them to cause harm to another person... regardless of any benefits or disruption of trust. That person has the law (of love) written on their hearts, manifested in what they do.

The 'God' of the Bible is purportedly responsible for instructing people to murder though.

Well... the 'god of the bible'... is not necessarily the God and Father of Christ.

I mean... since you would have quite the contradiction between the parts that you are saying instruct people to murder... and the parts that speak against that; instructing one to love even one's enemies, to not pay back wrong for wrong; to not even be angry with one's brother.

How do you know which is an accurate representation?

I know how, and have shared that many times... but I am curious how some of you claim to know.

Peace,

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

Tec - it's impossible to have a real debate with you. Or rather its impossible to win in the debate. Because you just say that the particular bible verse is wrong or not true. When Jesus speaks to you, and we can't hear what he is telling you, well you get the point. Lets just say that if I was going to be religious it would have to be your sort of it I think. Because the stuff in the bible is just outright contradictory and horrible.

But, I prefer to at this point remain adverse to religion. If god exists and he is loving then I hope he would value a life lived to the full and a person who tried to be good. I just can't believe though personally. Science disproves to much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit