4 sincere questions for those that believe there is a God

by S EIGHT 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am not saying you shouldn't help people, or that agnostics and atheists don't help people. That would be way off base, and just plain wrong, prejudiced and stupid. I was being a little sarcastic. My point is, what place does compassion have in the evolution of man? Why would an animal evolve a compassionate side for any other creature except it's own? Helping kids in Africa doesn't ensure the survival of my DNA.

Even though I don't have all the answer, I believe there is a creator. It makes no sense to help other humans if we are just here by chance. Helping the enviroment so that we can survive to pass on our genes would make sense. Why help other humans who are just dead weight? Off-topic, I know..

• Comatose
    Comatose

Neanderthals showed compassion. They chewed food for older ones who had no teeth. They mended broken bones of others.

As to why compassion developed, I don't have all the answers, but that doesn't make the answer god. One simple hypothesis would be it helps survival of the group and your clan to help. As people started living in groups and working together helping each other would have paid rewards. Sure someone gets hurt and cant fight or run or contribute now, but help them get well and they can. Its hard to replace adults back then I am sure. Compassion develops as a natural by product of survival of the fittest or survival of the group.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" GOD exists, and yes, HE does answer prayers. HE did when our baby girl was born with a major heart problem which required surgery (and she has done none and we have all the medical exams as proof of that!)

HE did when our last child was born and we almost lost baby and mother due to an unforseeing situation (today he is 5 years old and my wife is doing great!)"

Well Cabo you are special! That is why GOD helped YOU. See my randmother was abused and beat by her husband. She still raised them all Christians... all 5 of them. She got pregnant a 6th time and the baby was born with an enlarged heart... he died. My grandmother prayed all the while but GOD thought it was best that this baby die. A few years later she got pregnant again, unfortunately he was stillborn... my grandmother prayed that the stillborn child would be a strong young man but instead.... no he died.

So Verde you are special. GOD love YOU more than OTHERS for some reason that THEY can not understand. The only way to know if GOD loves SOMEONE is if when something bad should happen HE makes sure that IT does not.

I guess

• sir82
    sir82

Given what goes on in the world, I would be far more inclined to love a God who was not omnipotent - who was doing the best he could but not able to fix all the world's problems.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I prefer to imagine a God who is all-loving but unable to intervene.

• sir82
    sir82

jgnat we should start a religion.

I'll let you be high priestess if I get to be grand poobah.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've considered it sir (moments of flying fancy), but the prospect of directing another person's belief...I just can't do it. The closest I've found is Karen Armstrong's Charter for Compassion.

• tec
    tec

This is a shocking and tragic story. I heard it on the radio as I was travelling the other day. My stomach just dropped. It just sounds so unreal that it happened, that both boys would be killed, and I would wait to hear all the info before being totally sure of what happened.

I do have to say something though. If man is going to bring in exotic, dangerous (and prohibited, as this snake in New Brunswick, is prohibited) animals/reptiles, to be around himself and around children, then accidents, harm, and even death can and do happen. Man cannot ignore the risks, (or decide for himself that the risk is minor, and so his desire to have such an animal outweighs that risk), and then blame God when the very possible harm that could come from his actions, does indeed come. In this case, the death of these two boys, the devestation of their family, and also the guilt that I am sure the snake owner (and the snake did not climb up from the pet store but did live in the same apartment as where the boys were having a sleepover with the snake owner's son).

http://globalnews.ca/news/767303/two-boys-killed-by-python-died-from-asphyxiation-rcmp/

People make decisions every day, ignoring possible risks, that put themselves and others in harms way... ignoring that small voice warning them that 'this' is not such a good idea; that someone could or even will get hurt. I am not judging those who make such decisions... we ALL make those decisions ( including something that might seem as simple as speeding ). Just not going to blame God for the risks that man CHOOSES to take, and the consequences that inevitably cause harm at some point.

Peace to you,

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

TEC - then when does god have ANY responsibility at all? Man makes good decisions and bad decisions. Bad decsions by people are most often when we see tragedy. But, thats kind of supposed to be the point with god being all knowing and all powerful right? He COULD step in and help but he NEVER does. So when in your opinion should god step in? Ever?

He doesn't for natural disasters. He doesn't for poor abused kids. He doesn't for the kids killed by a snake. He doesn't for everyday accidents. He never does. So you are okay with that? A god who is there but never steps in to help?

• tec
    tec

He does step in. He certainly has in the past for those who belong to Him (and no, not everyone does belong to Him... some have chosen a different 'father', or have chosen a different 'father' for their children) He still steps in today... speaking through His Son, the One He told us to listen TO. That Son speaks... and directs... and teaches... and guides... and helps. Not everyone listens, or has/exercises faith in Him.

Nor is the promise that this life and world will be peaches and cream, not even for those who do belong to God, through His Son. That Son has said just the opposite in fact. That in this world we will have difficulty. (This is a living, moving, universe... so there are going to be things that we call natural disasters, but are just nature. And for now, in these vessels of sin and death, we DO get sick and we DO die.)

It won't always be this way, but it is still this way right now. I know that the wts has turned many people off from waiting and so many have fallen off, thinking that Christ is never going to return... (just as the Israelites thought that Moses was never going to come back from the mountain he ascended)... and that is sad, though the resentment is due in part to the false promises that the wts made (here it is, right around the corner, you shall certainly not die, etc)... and the high burdens and demands that they put on their people.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit