Another Suicide

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• cedars
    cedars

Awful news, sorry to hear this Billy. It sounds like you really cared for him.

Cedars

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Billy, I am so sorry for your loss...It is a tragedy on all levels. There are people that will lay all the blame squarely on the WTS . That is not entirely fair because there are always more complicated reasons than that, we do not know what was going on inside his head. However, since "it" occupies such a big place in any dub's life and purports to be the answer to all of life's ills, then the WTS must bear a share of responsibility if their beliefs, training and recent congregation failed to help him..

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

sorry for your loss. I can relate, a JW friend did the same thing about a year ago. It was a tough time because while dealing with that I had to watch how fucked up JW's treat and handle such situations like the first thing out of their mouth is shit like "well, we cant have the funeral in the kingdom hall" sick cult.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

BB: "There are people that will lay all the blame squarely on the WTS . That is not entirely fair because there are always more complicated reasons than that, we do not know what was going on inside his head."

Very true. I've known plenty of other suicides that weren't JWs. But the way WT boasts that JWs are "the happiest people on Earth" actually made me feel worse. I didn't feel like the happiest person on earth... and then I felt guilty for not feeling happy. And I've heard plenty of JWs saying that if it wasn't for learning "the truth", they would have given up on life. Maybe so for them, but for someone like me, I would have given up on life if I hadn't learned the truth about "the truth."

"the WTS must bear a share of responsibility if their beliefs, training and recent congregation failed to help him."

That's something that has me so perplexed about the second brother's suicide. This was just a couple weeks after NG died. How could he have felt so hopeless and helpless? Did he really feel that NG had been his only friend? Sadly, now that they're gone we'll never really know.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Please accept my sincere condolences. I am sure that many Ex-Bethelites who have been tossed to the curb are struggling to cope with the real world, a situation they never thought they would have to deal with.

So very, very sad. So much blood on the hands of this horrible cult.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I too am so sorry for your loss.I too have known many who killed themselves
    But the Wt taught ( when I was a good one ) that if you died doubting before Armeggedon you would get a resurrection

but if you doubted when it came you would NOT!!!!! So many killed themselves because the "Hateful & Wicked WT"

gave them false ideas.

• Scully
    Scully

(((Billy))) so sorry for your loss.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

so very sorry for you and those affected....x

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh no, so sad. So sorry for the loss of your friend.

It's true people suffer depression in all areas and all faiths. But the WT is programmed to only support the future of the corporation. Their human faithful mean nothing to them...troubled marriages, lost teens, struggling single parents, elderly, depressed...all get the same advice. "It's not our problem it's your problem. And probably a spiritual problem at that. So just do more."

My heart goes out to the family and friends. RIP.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Whoa. Sorry to hear that. It's a terrible place to be, feeling depressed, and the circumstances he may have been in as an ex-Bethelite could only have made that worse. It's hard to know what to say in a situation like this, but...thanks for sharing, and my thoughts are with you. It can be very hard not to be swallowed up by one's own pain at times. I know when I used to feel that way, I tried to think of it like a ship weathering a storm, and you can't always see the edge of those storm clouds, but it's best to deal with one moment at a time, make it smaller until you get to a second that you can survive, and go to the next one until it gets a little easier. It's always uncertain whether a person who is depressed can successfully convince themselves to go on.

The thought of not being able to afford medication possibly contributing to that really pains me to hear, though, because I feel like I can identify. I know I've been wanting to at least do therapy again for a long time, but it's costly. I can't imagine how an ex-Bethelite with limited education (?) could cope. It's tragic, really tragic.

Hang in there, bro.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit