Another Suicide

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I've been thinking of this thread for hours now. I can't help but wonder how it is that soo many who are JWs (active and inactive) take their lives, not to mention those who have attempted and failed. And then there are those JWs who entertain the thought of suicide but for whatever reason don't follow through.

It's just odd that suicide or the thought of it is part of the character of this religion!

And WT is soo silent on the matter.

Creepy indeed is this religion!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

" And WT is soo silent on the matter. "

At least they've admitted that depressed JWs need professional help. Well, I should qualify that and say that the support is hit-or-miss. There are still plenty that think the depressed should pull themselves up by their bootstraps. And if they're like I was, although I could talk to a professional, I couldn't really open up about the real problems that were caused by the religion. That help didn't arrive until I found this forum and learned TTATT. My problem was because of the religion. I'd internalized it to depression because I couldn't free myself from the poisonous thinking. How could I not be depressed by the belief that billions of innocent people and children were about to be slaughtered because I couldn't convince them to become JWs?

My parents had been sympathetic to those that were depressed. But after they learned that I was depressed to the point of suicide, it really changed their thinking. And although my parents were sad and Mom shed some tears when I said that I wasn't attending the KH after I moved, they realized that they'd rather have me alive as a fader rather than a dead elder.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I am sorry to hear that people are losing hope and ending their lives. Sorry you lost a friend.

• Violia
    Violia

During one of the deepest depressions I ever had- a sister who I knew well ( and respected) told me that I did not have God's spirit or I would have joy. I can't tell you how much that effected me.

• designs
    designs

Sorry to hear about your friend Billy, losing a friend this way is really tough. It almost sounds like these guys suffer the post traumatic depression that army guys do.

• Violia
    Violia

Billy

so sorry about your friend.

• Dagney
    Dagney

At least they've admitted that depressed JWs need professional help. Well, I should qualify that and say that the support is hit-or-miss.

Years ago we stayed with a Bethel DR in Germany. He said depression was epidemic, and he worked long long hours the days he worked there. He was not raised a JW and was kind and sympathetic to many issues including the depression, which was met with some opposition at the branch, at the time. The friends were lucky to have him...hate to think about what would have happened if they didn't.

Wonderful Billy your parents have been still loving to you...they have their priorities right.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Sorry Billy

• Bella15
    Bella15

Wow ... 8 members from the same religion ... that points to a problem ...

My condolences on the passing away of your friend!

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Sorry to hear the sad news Billy, condolences and keep your head up bro.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit