WT destroying old literature

by startingover 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Atlantis posted a letter a while back instructing congregations to destroy certain old literature, but (as I recall) that did not include directing the elders to instruct the publishers to destroy old literature.

That being said, it's obvious why the mags on jw.org only go back to 2000. They don't want anyone having access to embarrasing "Old Light."

Also, all that bs in recent magazines about "Learn More About Our History" is complete nonsense. The "history" lessons in recent WTs are either highly sanitized versions that conveniently fail to mention any mistakes or errors on the part of the WT leaders or they are outright fabrications and revisionist history!

For some examples, check out these threads:

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

List Of Publications Approved For Discard (S-60-E-November/ 2012 . Any book published before 1985 except the following: “ All Scripture is Inspired of God and Benficial ” ( si ), Comprehensive Concordance of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures ( cn ), Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life ( kl ), My Book of Bible Stories ( my/Smy ), and You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth ( pe ) . . . . . . . . . . Atlantis

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

When I was Lit Servant, we were told by Branch just to destroy/recycle old lit, because they didn't have the means to receive and recycle congs old stuff.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl
    kenyakelly on eBay works for the Society, selling old literature gathered fom congregations.

I hate to be the most sceptical and cynical one here but; this kenyakelly could be working

independently, using his inside access to make some money from ex-jws who want to

retain proof of the societies actual track record and trail of stupidity and fraud.

Remember, it was from inside Bethel that all the expose and take down of WT doctrine

was generated, from those who were in the inside circle and saw the wizards behind the

curtain.

• blondie
    blondie

I can see that they give some individuals an opportunity to add some to their libraries before discarding.

As to updated versions, we had an experience in the book study (home) where some had the old version and some the new version. It became apparent as the paragraph was read and the differences stood out.

In the creator book and we were studying it again, the WTS slipped by the idea below undercutting the 7,000 year creative day. Older jws missed that entirely and the "new" conductor didn't even know the WTS once taught a 7,000 year creative day and chastised the older brother who answered. I wonder if they ever replace the Reasoning book if they will recommend tossing the old one?

*** ct chap. 6 p. 93 An Ancient Creation Record—Can You Trust It? ***

. Even in Genesis all six “days” are spoken of collectively as one lengthy period—‘the day in which Jehovah made earth and heaven.’ (Genesis 2:4; compare 2 Peter 3:8.) The fact is, the Bible reveals that the creative “days,” or ages, encompass thousands of years.

A person can see this from what the Bible says about the seventh “day.” The record of each of the first six “days” ends saying, ‘and there came to be evening and morning, a first day,’ and so on. Yet, you will not find that comment after the record of the seventh “day.” And in the first century C.E., some 4,000 years downstream in history, the Bible referred to the seventh rest “day” as still continuing. (Hebrews 4:4-6) So the seventh “day” was a period spanning thousands of years, and we can logically conclude the same about the first six “days.”

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

Pointless. Al the older books can be found online on PDF. Also many older witnesses have old books.

Even the KH here has Studies in the Scriptures, WTs from the 1930s and amazingly the book: The Two babylons. <<<<<Fiction book and not a JW book. lol

Why they wish to discard the NWT parts is beyond me. The Hebrew scriptures haven't changed much since 1950-61 and the NT only was updated in 1984 (Well the 2006 NWT removed bracets in places)

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I got a copy of the bound volume 1980 WT so i could have that article to go with C of C. The seller told me he was trying to save printed matter from being destroyed that he had been part of printing at Bethel.

• Violia
    Violia

they were doing this seriously in the 80's , before the net. They tried to frighten my mom into getting rid of older books b/c they said " the apostates are using them against us". So yes they probably are trying to get rid of the literature. Even if you find it online they will most likely tell jws not to buy it as it is apostates who are selling it. The new ones won't know any better and it will work, the older ones will follow orders.

• minimus
    minimus

There will always be evidence, somewhere.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

HowTheBibleWasInvented... no... it's not pointless... a pdf copy of an old embarassing publication does not have the same impact that an actual hard copy has... far from it... I find that pdf copies quite often leave some doubt as to whether or not there were any clever "alterations" done... whereas an actual hard copy is hard to deny...

the Watchtower knows this all too well, which is why they're on a mission to bury their embarassing past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit